2023 B1G Tourney Session 1 Thread

RS17

May 3, 2022
Most freshman do. We have been spoiled.
We also are spoiled but Facundo was ranked higher. It was a minor upset. SVN just pushed forward no real shots. They need to up their games or they can get bounced at NCAA’s quickly. This also can hurt their seedlings at Nationals.

Reactions: Lion in KY

psu0408

Oct 26, 2021
Van Ness has winner of 11 v 14, 10v 9 next round, then loser of Blockhus v Rooks to get to 3rd place match.

Facundo gets winner of 11 v 14, then winner of 9 v 10, then loser of Kennedy v Amine for 3rd

gimb14

May 3, 2022
We also are spoiled but Facundo was ranked higher. It was a minor upset. SVN just pushed forward no real shots. They need to up their games or they can get bounced at NCAA’s quickly. This also can hurt their seedlings at Nationals.
And yet, they still have a good shot at AA in their first time there. Relax. They're fine. Not all freshmen (or first year starters) do well immediately

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I would love to see Kerk play catch and release. He could easily push for a TF here. Orndorff has nothing here.

Reactions: Lion in KY

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
285: Greg Kerkvliet vs. Tate Orndorff, Ohio State

First period
Kerkvliet scores first. Kerk has 2:47 in RT after one.

Second period
Kirk down. He immediately reverses for a 4-0 lead. Orndorff is oit to 4-1. But Kerk shoots and scores again. It's 6-1. Kerk ends the second with more than four minutes in riding time.

Third period
Neutral start. Kerk shoots and scores to lead 8-1. Riding time is secured, so it's 9-1. He finishes with a whopping 5:55 in RT and wins,.

Kerkvliet md. Orndorff, 9-1.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Warner survived by the skin of his teeth. Besides Lee, and maybe Woods (not an original Iowa guy), does anyone in their roster excite anyone? Even Kennedy, who was really hyped up by them, wrestles the same methodical, mundane style.

RS17

May 3, 2022
And yet, they still have a good shot at AA in their first time there. Relax. They're fine. Not all freshmen (or first year starters) do well immediately
The seeding at NCAAs goes a long way towards AAing. To call them freshman is also disingenuous. Redshirt freshman and some stepped on campus early. Haines is a freshman. I would also say the chance of AAing for Facundo is less than 50%. SVN has an easier field and is more aggressive.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
The seeding at NCAAs goes a long way towards AAing. To call them freshman is also disingenuous. Redshirt freshman and some stepped on campus early. Haines is a freshman. I would also say the chance of AAing for Facundo is less than 50%. SVN has an easier field and is more aggressive.
I mean there was a reason I also said first year starters. And we’re ridiculously spoiled. The young guys will be fine. If they don’t AA, that’s ok. The team race won’t be close. We should win B1Gs by 20-30. Nationals will be a bigger difference

RS17

May 3, 2022
I mean there was a reason I also said first year starters. And we’re ridiculously spoiled. The young guys will be fine. If they don’t AA, that’s ok. The team race won’t be close. We should win B1Gs by 20-30. Nationals will be a bigger difference
I know we will win both barring a major disaster. Was just giving an opinion especially on Facundo. He always reminded me of an Iowa wrestler. JMO . I’m not worrried either way. But now a days they either have it in their first few years or not. SVN has a chance to level up not sure about Favundo. Haines already has it no matter what he does going forward this year.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I know we will win both barring a major disaster. Was just giving an opinion especially on Facundo. He always reminded me of an Iowa wrestler. JMO . I’m not worrried either way. But now a days they either have it in their first few years or not. SVN has a chance to level up not sure about Favundo. Haines already has it no matter what he does going forward this year.
I get what you're saying. Haines is a hammer and was billed as such. SVN and Facundo weren't. I just trust Cael to get them to where they need to be or they will be replaced. I just think that will happen at some point next year and that AA is still likely for one if not both this year.

Reactions: Parks22

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Besides Haines and Kasak(still technically a HS Sr) who stepped on campus early?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I get what you're saying. Haines is a hammer and was billed as such. SVN and Facundo weren't. I just trust Cael to get them to where they need to be or they will be replaced. I just think that will happen at some point next year and that AA is still likely for one if not both this year.
Actually, if you look at the P4P rankings when they were recruited, I would bet that SVN and Facundo were ranked higher than Haines. At least, SVN was. Haines has been improving by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years and his Sr year in State College training appears to be really paying off. Let’s not take away from the weight class SVN and Facundo are both in either. 149 has some seasoned vets in the bracket and 165 is as deep as it gets.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Actually, if you look at the P4P rankings when they were recruited, I would bet that SVN and Facundo were ranked higher than Haines. At least, SVN was. Haines has been improving by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years and his Sr year in State College training appears to be really paying off. Let’s not take away from the weight class SVN and Facundo are both in either. 149 has some seasoned vets in the bracket and 165 is as deep as it gets.
I don't know if I have seen a deeper weight class then 165. 3 national Champs and a runner up. Not sure how many returning AA.

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

SVN was the #2 P4P overall recruit in 2021. Facundo was #5 overall. Haines was #12 overall in the 2022 class.

Latest posts