2023 Journeyman Collegiate Classic Tournament Thread

Dec 23, 2021
Tom,

can you or any of the other posters comment on how the new rule changes impacted things at the tourney. We had a large number of majors & tech falls, so I assume those new rules impacted that, but I’d be curious of your thoughts / impressions regarding the matter.

Thx in advance for your comments.
I have not watched all the matches yet (see my post for YouTube link). if you watch as posted it starts with Kerk and works in reverse weight order. I'm to Levi's 2nd match, so I've watched most of them.
Overall, I'd say it is our top guys doing what our top guys are known to do - high pace, go score. Kerk did not display the same pace as the other guys and didn't look as powerful and quick on his shots. I think he might have had the highest ranked guys for his bouts.
AB looks slick as always and just like 84.
CStar was dominant and was non stop.
Traux was taking guys down consistently with low shots and road hard in 2nd and 3rd bouts. Of note, the commentator for Traux said he weighed in 11 lbs under weight at Nationals last year. If that is true, 84 is likely pretty easy to make. I liked his pace and attack rate in the first 2 bouts. Dropped off some in 3rd bout.
I watched Messenbrink in a separate video (he's not in the one I posted). None stop. Other than getting cradled, look very much like his run at U20 worlds. He will give up some points because he is just letting it fly.
Only watched 1 of Haines' bout. Looked like he got his left leg caught in a scramble and may have a slight injury to it. He limped around a couple times during the bout though eventually tech'd his guy. He came out for the 2nd match with the left leg bandaged.
New rules played into the matches a bit on point differentials. Guys racked up their typical number of take downs that we are accustomed to seeing so the majors and techs were easier to produce.