2024 Angel Hernandez thread

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021

I don't pretend to know what it takes to terminate a MLB umpire but I understand what it's like to be wrongfully disciplined by an employer with an agenda and being eternally thankful that I had a union to protect and fight for me.

I have a feeling that MLB could do something about AH but they choose not to because they're afraid of the negative press and that's not on the union, it's on MLB.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
I don't pretend to know what it takes to terminate a MLB umpire but I understand what it's like to be wrongfully disciplined by an employer with an agenda and being eternally thankful that I had a union to protect and fight for me.

I have a feeling that MLB could do something about AH but they choose not to because they're afraid of the negative press and that's not on the union, it's on MLB.
AH has also played the race card when getting passed over for postseason umpiring assignments as a way of protecting himself. But you would think that his poor performance is so well documented that no reasonable person would have a question that he was fired for incompetence.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
I'm late to post this 2 weeks into the season, and I've neglected to post a crap ton of his terrible calls so far this season, but he'll have plenty more to share this season.

I'm no defender of AH, but to be fair, that camera angle really doesn't support the argument that those pitches were outside. They could have crossed the front part of the plate (strike zone) on their way to where the catcher caught them. The only way to be sure would be to have a camera directly overhead.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021

Squarely because of the union. This guy is atrocious and typical of an incompetent he tries to “cure” the problem by being combative with players who question his incompetence. I think he filed a discrimination grievance a few years back claiming he was denied a chance to ump in the playoffs because of his race. The criticism directed his way is richly deserved and has nothing to do with race. Anyone who follows baseball knows that the three worst umpires in recent memory are Hernandez, CB Buckner (black) and recently retired “Cowboy” Joe West (white).

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
I'm no defender of AH, but to be fair, that camera angle really doesn't support the argument that those pitches were outside. They could have crossed the front part of the plate (strike zone) on their way to where the catcher caught them. The only way to be sure would be to have a camera directly overhead.
Saw an article which showed the strike zone box and none of the 3 called strikes were close with each one being progressively farther outside. Not enough words to describe how incompetent this guy is.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Squarely because of the union. This guy is atrocious and typical of an incompetent he tries to “cure” the problem by being combative with players who question his incompetence. I think he filed a discrimination grievance a few years back claiming he was denied a chance to ump in the playoffs because of his race. The criticism directed his way is richly deserved and has nothing to do with race. Anyone who follows baseball knows that the three worst umpires in recent memory are Hernandez, CB Buckner (black) and recently retired “Cowboy” Joe West (white).

So AH plays the race card and that's your proof it's the union's fault??? You did nothing to substantiate your claim.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I'm late to post this 2 weeks into the season, and I've neglected to post a crap ton of his terrible calls so far this season, but he'll have plenty more to share this season.

He’s a protected individual and I’m not talking about his shin pads.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Well, ya know, a well placed 98 mph head high fastball that a catcher can’t “get his mitt on”
help! Or better yet, lower!

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
So AH plays the race card and that's your proof it's the union's fault??? You did nothing to substantiate your claim.
Who filed the grievance? You think the media gives a royal rat’s you know what if MLB were to fire Hernandez? Please get a clue.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Who filed the grievance? You think the media gives a royal rat’s you know what if MLB were to fire Hernandez? Please get a clue.

I have enough of a clue to know not to pretend I know more than I do. The only thing you and I truly know about AH is that he's a lousy umpire.