2024 NFL Draft thread

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Eagles trade down with Houston to the #86 overall which was originally theirs in the first place.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Um, you know that Patrick Mahomes was "the next Patrick Mahomes" when he was drafted. Nobody knew he was going to be that good. There was even criticism for the Chiefs moving up to take him.
And how many “next Patrick Mahomes” have there been? None. That would be like NBA teams after Magic Johnson won a championship, only drafting 6’10 point guards in the first round every year. The Chiefs win the SB all the time not because they have a QB, it’s because that QB is Patrick Mahomes.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
And how many “next Patrick Mahomes” have there been? None. That would be like NBA teams after Magic Johnson won a championship, only drafting 6’10 point guards in the first round every year. The Chiefs win the SB all the time not because they have a QB, it’s because that QB is Patrick Mahomes.
No matter how you spin it, bringing in a game manager as your Qb is a terrible idea. You don't need a mahomes to win a super bowl, but it ain't happening with a game manager.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Finally took that advice. Immediate reaction was "this is better." Then Rich Eisen opened his mouth and deflated everything. Then thought Eisen or Laure-e-e-e-e-e-ece, so I'm sticking with the NFL Network.
Eisen is a Michigan homer. But I like the other guys better than ESPN.

Reactions: Pocono Lion

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
No matter how you spin it, bringing in a game manager as your Qb is a terrible idea. You don't need a mahomes to win a super bowl, but it ain't happening with a game manager.
But drafting a QB with your top pick who winds up not even being a game manager is a good idea?

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
But drafting a QB with your top pick who winds up not even being a game manager is a good idea?
You can debate the merits of 1st round QB pick with yourself. The solution of bringing in a game manager to be your QB is not the answer.

A2nit

Oct 12, 2021
Probably beat Ole Miss with them. Ah well. Hope they figure out something for bowl games - they’re less and less ‘worth it’ IMO but if we have to play I’d like to win.
Geez, King being passed by G5 CBs. MH Jr destroyed his hype…

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
You can debate the merits of 1st round QB pick with yourself. The solution of bringing in a game manager to be your QB is not the answer.
So what’s a game manager? Does he play next to the Edge dude? Is he a QB that doesn’t throw picks? Or is he the Qb that can make all the game plan adjustments? Like get into the right play? Or get out of a bad play? Not throw into double coverage? Or is just lucky enough to play on a team w a great D and let’s them do the dirty work?
would Nick Foles qualify as a game manager? Or is he too tall ?

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
So what’s a game manager? Does he play next to the Edge dude? Is he a QB that doesn’t throw picks? Or is he the Qb that can make all the game plan adjustments? Like get into the right play? Or get out of a bad play? Not throw into double coverage? Or is just lucky enough to play on a team w a great D and let’s them do the dirty work?
would Nick Foles qualify as a game manager? Or is he too tall ?
The wiki page seems about right - "In American football, a game manager is a quarterback who has few mistakes, such as fumbles and interceptions. Game managers often have average individual statistics, like touchdowns and passing yards. They are considered a major factor in neither their team's wins nor their losses. Game managers often benefit from strong defense and rushing offense on their teams".

Nicky is kind of an enigma. He certainly wasn't game managing in 2018 when he went for over 350 yds and 3 TDs in each of the NFC champ and SB games.

Reactions: s1uggo72

ChrisRN1965

Oct 7, 2021
Probably beat Ole Miss with them. Ah well. Hope they figure out something for bowl games - they’re less and less ‘worth it’ IMO but if we have to play I’d like to win.
I think with the 12 team playoff, any bowl not part of the playoff will be meaningless and be plagued by opt outs. I will not spend money traveling to another one unless it is for the playoffs.