A University shuts down, and the hoops teams are still playing....

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Notre Dame is closing. Lest anyone be confused, this is Notre Dame College in Ohio. They are closing at the end of the year and had 22 sports teams with a total enrollment of 1,500 students. Lots of kids go there and then put "Notre Dame" on their resumes.

• Haha
Reactions: ApexLion

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
This is potentially the leading edge for many higher ed institutions. Just as Krispy Kreme and Starbucks did, colleges/universities have saturated the market. Add in annual tuition/fee increases that far exceed wage gains, and the model begins to resemble the leaning tower of Pisa. With rumblings of loan forgiveness, lending agencies may change their lending practices (being paid by the Fed guv'mint is not a sustainable pattern either, as the debt grows and more of the Fed budget is eaten up with interest payments and social programs). Cost of materials and labor to renovate/build imposing new edifices for the College of Underwater Basket-weaving will soar. (Wait until the phenomenon of $20/hour for fast food workers spreads across the country; if you think hiring an electrician or plumber is expensive now -- HOOOO BOY!!)

Add in the slow but growing trend by employers not to require a four-year degree for many roles, and college and its accompanying debt will look less attractive.

I am not suggesting the total death of colleges/universities - but I am predicting a shake-out that will significantly cut the numbers of those higher ed places. Having worked at Duke University and seen the inefficiencies that are allowed to exist, I would encourage schools to begin planning now for their financial future.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The handwriting is on the wall. I asked about Penn State in 50 years. Won’t last that long. 😞

Reactions: JohnJumba

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
This is potentially the leading edge for many higher ed institutions. Just as Krispy Kreme and Starbucks did, colleges/universities have saturated the market. Add in annual tuition/fee increases that far exceed wage gains, and the model begins to resemble the leaning tower of Pisa. With rumblings of loan forgiveness, lending agencies may change their lending practices (being paid by the Fed guv'mint is not a sustainable pattern either, as the debt grows and more of the Fed budget is eaten up with interest payments and social programs). Cost of materials and labor to renovate/build imposing new edifices for the College of Underwater Basket-weaving will soar. (Wait until the phenomenon of $20/hour for fast food workers spreads across the country; if you think hiring an electrician or plumber is expensive now -- HOOOO BOY!!)

Add in the slow but growing trend by employers not to require a four-year degree for many roles, and college and its accompanying debt will look less attractive.

I am not suggesting the total death of colleges/universities - but I am predicting a shake-out that will significantly cut the numbers of those higher ed places. Having worked at Duke University and seen the inefficiencies that are allowed to exist, I would encourage schools to begin planning now for their financial future.
If you have not read this book, it is worth the read. But it doesn’t paint a pretty picture.

Latest posts