AKB… golf club ?

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
What degree would a 2-wood be. Just purchased a Titleist TSR 16.5 degree and love it. My pro says it is a 4 wood and I am hitting it further than my Ping G410 14degree 3 wood. Hitting a 10.5 degree driver right now, thinking of going to a 2 wood

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
I don't believe there are two woods. But there are strong 3 woods. As a rule of thumb, a strong 3 wood would typically be played off a tee ONLY unless you have a swing speed of at least 95 mph. Otherwise you can't create enough ball speed to get it up in the air.
As you approach senior golf speeds, there is more of a move towards 4 or 5 woods instead of a 3 wood especially off the deck.
See a club fitter and hit some balls with Trackman to optimize ball speed, launch angle, and spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I can outscore pretty much anyone
It’s funny how many people don’t understand that the low score wins and golf. Many years ago when I was in the classroom a principal observed me doing an AP calculus review session that I called golf. I called it golf because the low score won. I gave them four possible answers to multiple-choice questions and ranked them from best possible answer to the worst. It helped with eliminating the worst choice so they could at least make a reasonable guess. at the end of the lesson I asked who had the lowest score in declared them our ‘winner’ but the next day in our meeting, the principal wanted to know why I declared the person with the lowest score of the winner and even after explaining it to her, she didn’t follow.

Mongrel

Oct 31, 2021
What degree would a 2-wood be. Just purchased a Titleist TSR 16.5 degree and love it. My pro says it is a 4 wood and I am hitting it further than my Ping G410 14degree 3 wood. Hitting a 10.5 degree driver right now, thinking of going to a 2 wood
I was custom fit last summer for a full set of PXG (Gen5). The fitter set my driver at 12.5 degrees. Swing speed is still over 100 mph (I'll be 69 in May). Modern club engineering allows for a wide combination of club head launch angle, shaft length and spin rate.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
No reason to not hit these new drivers Bk. It's like cheating. They're like trampolines - especially the Titleist ones.
What makes the Titleist ones different? Metallurgy or paired shafts?

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Whatever driver you use - use Ernie's old advice. Stand up on the first tee and try to hit your driver 150 yards. You will be surprised. Rhythm, timing, balance, is enough to hit these drivers 275 w/ minimal effort. Also, if you hit a driver w/ your arms (small muscles) and not your legs/hips (big muscles), it's going low, hard left.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
What makes the Titlest ones different? Metallurgy or paired shafts?
I am so far removed from this technology, I have no clue. I just talk to people. I talk to Russ Cochran every day, Calc, Eric Cole, Ryan Armour, Nick Hardy, and lots of other tour guys weekly.

Frankly, Eric is joshed for PXG. And w/ 4 straight missed cuts, well.

I have a driver my friend/Titleist rep gave me and it just seems to be the best, after hitting other demos at the club. It's a weak S shaft and allows me to turn it over w/ no clubhead speed.

I have a broken back, but won't do fusion surgery. If my core is strong enough, I can turn and play ok. This equipment really helps. Try hitting a balata w/ a piece of wood the size of your 3 wood 280 yards. You had to swing out of your shoes.