AKB, what would you do regarding this credit card error?

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
In early March, our credit card was hacked and I disputed some charges and canceled. A day or so later, I saw the following new charges:

-$2,000 - Balance Consolidation
-$7,000 Balance Consolidation
-$4,000 Balance Consolidation
+$4,000 Adjustment - Cash Advances (this is a credit back to my card, presumably for the above 4k charge)

So, now my balance shows that I owe $9k. I reported this new activity soon after, figuring it was a simple error that would be easily fixed. Well, they were confused by it and said it was under investigation. Over the ensuing 2+ months, I called at least 3 more times to tell them that it was unresolved, spending 15-30 minutes on the phone each time.

Finally, the charges were removed, including the $4k charge that had been credited back to my account. So, now I have a positive $4k balance!

The obvious correct thing to do is to call and tell them about the error, which is likely what I will do. However, a small side of me wonders why I should take the time to contact them and tell them about their mistake. It's a credit card company, so much less of a moral dilemma than if it were a local mom and pop shop or something. The downside is that they may come back for it later after I've spent it. I also considered just carrying a +$4k balance for a year or so to see if they figure it out, and then spending it if they don't (maybe donate half of it to charity).

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
I’m a confessed idiot, so I’d give them a single call. After that if it remained so be it.

I was so pissed at the ineptitude of BofA a decade ago that I decided to close my account. The last check I wrote before the decision was for $40 to my cat sitter. When I checked my online activity to confirm it cleared before closing, the f’idiots only took $30 from my account for it. I was afraid that if I wrote a check to cash for the listed balance that they’d later find the error and come after me for overdraft fees. It took them 3 months to straighten it out so I could close out.

• Angry
Reactions: ODShowtime

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
In early March, our credit card was hacked and I disputed some charges and canceled. A day or so later, I saw the following new charges:

+$4,000 Adjustment - Cash Advances (this is a credit back to my card, presumably for the above 4k charge)

So, now my balance shows that I owe $9k. I reported this new activity soon after, figuring it was a simple error that would be easily fixed. Well, they were confused by it and said it was under investigation. Over the ensuing 2+ months, I called at least 3 more times to tell them that it was unresolved, spending 15-30 minutes on the phone each time.

Finally, the charges were removed, including the $4k charge that had been credited back to my account. So, now I have a positive $4k balance!

The obvious correct thing to do is to call and tell them about the error, which is likely what I will do. However, a small side of me wonders why I should take the time to contact them and tell them about their mistake. It's a credit card company, so much less of a moral dilemma than if it were a local mom and pop shop or something. The downside is that they may come back for it later after I've spent it. I also considered just carrying a +$4k balance for a year or so to see if they figure it out, and then spending it if they don't (maybe donate half of it to charity).

In my experience, banks (and CC companies) always figure it out, and they have iron-clad policies to make sure they get it back. I think sending a certified read receipt letter with the supporting documents to the appropriate address relieves you of any reasonable liability.

G3624

Dec 21, 2022

Like PSU ICA.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
In my experience, banks (and CC companies) always figure it out, and they have iron-clad policies to make sure they get it back. I think sending a certified read receipt letter with the supporting documents to the appropriate address relieves you of any reasonable liability.
That’s a ton of brain power I didn’t expect from you. Who are you?

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021

You appear to me to be an honest man. Call them, a dozen times if you have to, until you get the error corrected.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
They will find the mistake.

You will get a call asking for the money.

If the money is not repaid they will take you to court with a civil action to get the money back.

You would pay more for a lawyer to defend you than the amount involved.

Id go down to my branch, tell the manager and see if he would give you some bucks as a reward. At least get a lunch out of it.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
FYI, I just reported this to the CC company. FWIW, I don't think they would have ever caught on since it was reported as a "disputed charge". I'm pretty sure their records just showed it as a disputed charge and they had no idea that the $4k had already been credited back to me.

So, I got $4k in karma coming my way, right?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
FYI, I just reported this to the CC company. FWIW, I don't think they would have ever caught on since it was reported as a "disputed charge". I'm pretty sure their records just showed it as a disputed charge and they had no idea that the $4k had already been credited back to me.

So, I got $4k in karma coming my way, right?

Eh, you did the right thing. A few years ago I bought my wife a nice, expensive bracelet from Neiman Marcus for Christmas. I knew it would be delivered while we were away traveling together and asked a neighbor if they could get it off our porch when it arrived. They said sure. After seeing a notification that it was delivered, I sent an email asking my neighbor if they picked it up. They said they checked but didn't see it. While still on travel, I call Neiman Marcus and complain about a missing package. They immediately send another bracelet - no questions asked. I tell my neighbor to be on the lookout and he grabs it once delivered. So, I'm relieved. We get home, and I see the original bracelet still in the shipping pouch on my kitchen island. Turns out the cleaning lady grabbed it when she came and brought it inside. So, I now have two of these. I could return it, and get my money back, and walk away with a free bracelet. But, I didn't. I took the extra one back and told the customer service lady exactly what happened. She was stunned and was like, 'I don't even know what to do with this...'.

Anyway, felt good. I'm sure you feel it too.;)

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
I don't think there is really a moral dilemma in play... you effectively have $4k that isn't yours.

The question would be do you wait a few weeks and let them work it out on their own, or notify right away and possibly cause even more confusion on their end drawing this out further.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Eh, you did the right thing. A few years ago I bought my wife a nice, expensive bracelet from Neiman Marcus for Christmas. I knew it would be delivered while we were away traveling together and asked a neighbor if they could get it off our porch when it arrived. They said sure. After seeing a notification that it was delivered, I sent an email asking my neighbor if they picked it up. They said they checked but didn't see it. While still on travel, I call Neiman Marcus and complain about a missing package. They immediately send another bracelet - no questions asked. I tell my neighbor to be on the lookout and he grabs it once delivered. So, I'm relieved. We get home, and I see the original bracelet still in the shipping pouch on my kitchen island. Turns out the cleaning lady grabbed it when she came and brought it inside. So, I now have two of these. I could return it, and get my money back, and walk away with a free bracelet. But, I didn't. I took the extra one back and told the customer service lady exactly what happened. She was stunned and was like, 'I don't even know what to do with this...'.

Anyway, felt good. I'm sure you feel it too.;)
Perhaps we've slightly offset all of the morally corrupt behavior that occurs in our world 😇

Reactions: Midnighter

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Character is what you do when wasted with your friends in Vegas or something like that.

pro tip: don’t steal schit or drive slow in the fast lane YW

Latest posts