are we done with roster changes going into spring?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
are we now set for the spring roster?

we are past the deadline for getting transfer players in for spring semester, so no more can get into school for spring.

not sure if there are or have been more departures that we have not seen announced.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Nothing is definite. With coaching changes, players have another 30 day window to enter the portal and transfer. Franklin wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t keep an open mind and explore options with new players entering the portal.

Reactions: Bison13

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Nothing is definite. With coaching changes, players have another 30 day window to enter the portal and transfer. Franklin wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t keep an open mind and explore options with new players entering the portal.
anyone Franklin gets now would be June enrollee, correct? so even if more are entering the portal, he cant get anymore for spring semester.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
anyone Franklin gets now would be June enrollee, correct? so even if more are entering the portal, he cant get anymore for spring semester.
That’s a great question. The PSU Spring academic calendar lists January 15 as late registration beginning date, but I don’t know when that window closes for the spring semester?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
That’s a great question. The PSU Spring academic calendar lists January 15 as late registration beginning date, but I don’t know when that window closes for the spring semester?
the Jan 15th date was what I thought the last date was to register for Spring semester. It doesn't stop the addition of a player after that, but would put them in summer. since 15th is national holiday, not sure if that impacts.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

the Jan 15th date was what I thought the last date was to register for Spring semester. It doesn't stop the addition of a player after that, but would put them in summer. since 15th is national holiday, not sure if that impacts.
The window for football players to enroll is always open. It's called "alignment." Don't believe me? Ask BobPSU92, the resident expert on alignment.

Reactions: s1uggo72

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Are you suggesting there are school implications in this so-called college football landscape? 🤑
The sooner foolish people free themselves from these archaic mindsets the better. Reactionary adherents of some illusionary romantic past epoch only hinder our march forward.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Are you suggesting there are school implications in this so-called college football landscape? 🤑
I thought that was true for every school. you have to be a student at the school before you can be on an athletic team at the school. that is just the academic rules for any school, and not specific to Penn State. you also have to be eligible academically to transfer and have to maintain eligibility. a student who transfers in a month after a semester starts is putting themselves at risk, which is why these cutoffs exist.

Penn State admissions is still part of the process.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I thought that was true for every school. you have to be a student at the school before you can be on an athletic team at the school. that is just the academic rules for any school, and not specific to Penn State. you also have to be eligible academically to transfer and have to maintain eligibility. a student who transfers in a month after a semester starts is putting themselves at risk, which is why these cutoffs exist.

Franklin laughs at Penn State Admissions. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Dec 15, 2023

Yes but if some HS early enrollees are going to the bowl games, then why can't some transfers show up mid-semester, "not be on the team", but be around the team.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Yes but if some HS early enrollees are going to the bowl games, then why can't some transfers show up mid-semester, "not be on the team", but be around the team.
the early enrollees being part of the bowl prep (not the game itself) is an odd rule. How do they get into a dorm without being an enrolled student? I always assumed that the schools must have a way to register them for spring and get in the dorm a few weeks early.

That seems a bit different than a student who would be enrolled in the summer and getting into the dorm a whole term ahead (spring). Does Penn State allow this?

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
I think they're at the deadline for spring semester enrollment.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
are we now set for the spring roster?

we are past the deadline for getting transfer players in for spring semester, so no more can get into school for spring.

not sure if there are or have been more departures that we have not seen announced.
It’s really up to us.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I assume we're pretty much done until spring and even the year. Kids looking to transfer want to enroll early and get started with their new team. Cephas was an exception because of academic issues.

I struggle to think of any remaining NFL ready players at PSU.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I assume we're pretty much done until spring and even the year. Kids looking to transfer want to enroll early and get started with their new team. Cephas was an exception because of academic issues.

I struggle to think of any remaining NFL ready players at PSU.
I thought we would have more departures - either transfer or just call an end to CFB career.

Iionscott

Oct 6, 2021
Need more guys to leave, they’re over the 85 limit
In the age of NIL not sure the 85 really matters. Just give the xtra guys enough cash so they can cover their scholarship costs and all is good. Make them in state kids so it doesn’t cost as much.

Reactions: OhioLion

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
In the age of NIL not sure the 85 really matters. Just give the xtra guys enough cash so they can cover their scholarship costs and all is good. Make them in state kids so it doesn’t cost as much.
I think this is what caused either Utah or BYU to be investigated and they had to stop. I don't think you can give scholarships through NIL funding.

Reactions: Bison13

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think many players want to spend their $50k NIL money on tuition, room, and board.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think many players want to spend their $50k NIL money on tuition, room, and board.
Or asks himself, "Why do I have to spend $50k on school and the other guys get school paid for and $50k to bank?"

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
I believe that about 15 departures will need to occur before the roster is set for 2024.
The question is where they will come from. Departures likely after spring ball.
At least 4 from the WR room
1 safety and 1 corner
2 DL
1 QB
1 or 2 RBs
and more

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Looks like there will be some processing going on during winter workouts and throughout the spring practice.

Reactions: marshall23

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I believe that about 15 departures will need to occur before the roster is set for 2024.
The question is where they will come from. Departures likely after spring ball.
At least 4 from the WR room
1 safety and 1 corner
2 DL
1 QB
1 or 2 RBs
and more
that is what we all seem to conclude and the number seems a bit bigger than the staff has had to deal with in the past. There are a lot of guys who did not leave who I think the staff may have concluded were going on. Every time the BWI crew are asked about it they seem to deflect the question like the subject is taboo.

Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts