Article from Saturday Tradition -Defensive Front 7 stats subpar so far

PSUMichFan

Oct 28, 2021
I just read an online article on Abdul Carter the next great linebacker at Penn State from Saturday Tradition. The article then list some defensive states from the “Defensive Front 7” which were not impressive. So far in 2 games:

* Penn State has forced 1 turnover

* The Lions have only 3 sacks, 2 by DB Johnny Dixon and 1 by LB Jonathan Sutherland

* There have been 8 TFLs, which ranks PSU 2nd to last in the B1G

* The starting defensive line has combined for 5 tackles and 1.5 TFLs

The article does state we did lose a lot up front from last year and the first two teams we played have quarterbacks that released the ball quickly. I wonder how other teams will exploit this and as posted earlier how we match up against a strong running game.

Your thoughts?

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I just read an online article on Abdul Carter the next great linebacker at Penn State from Saturday Tradition. The article then list some defensive states from the “Defensive Front 7” which were not impressive. So far in 2 games:

* The Lions have only 3 sacks, 2 by DB Johnny Dixon and 1 by LB Jonathan Sutherland

The article does state we did lose a lot up front from last year and the first two teams we played have quarterbacks that released the ball quickly. I wonder how other teams will exploit this and as posted earlier how we match up against a strong running game.

Your thoughts?
Pretty sure Chop had one to close out the PU game. DL isn't dominant though...Manny is going to need to create pressure and count on the strength of the team to cover.

Reactions: PSJimbo and bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

Your thoughts?
The DB's need to hold onto the ball.
Sacks against QB's like the PU kid, just aren't going to happen a lot, he gets the ball out too quickly.
We may not have a lot of sacks but we are forcing some things with pressure and we have been batting down passes.
Both Issac and PJ are still getting back to their old selves. The fact that PJ is playing and (at least to me) is playing pretty well is amazing.
Its only game 2 with a new DC and a system that looks a lot different than the old one. New players in new positions.
Its going to take some time. But so far I like what I see.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting metric. Assuming we're rotating early and often why are TFLs for non starters discounted? Maybe it's just as bad but sometimes stats are manipulated to tell a story.
Anecdotally, it would seem that sound tackling continues to be an issue and isn't necessarily a trait of Franklin defenses.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
So far, our DTs haven't gotten any noticeable penatration on run nor pass plays. Our DEs haven't taken advantage of being lighter in any fashion as it's not showed up in pass rush nor defending the edge / chasing down plays.

LBs seem to be about 30% of playing down hill so far. Doesn't help that our DTs haven't been hanging on at the LoS, but our box backers aren't coming up strong yet.

I hope a lot of this is based on playing pass first teams. Ohio tried to run (26 credited attempts), but giving up 100 to them when we were subbing depth in from drive 2 is fairly strong on our part. Take away their 3 biggest runs (one was a QB scramble and another was a trick play), and we held them to 50 yards.

The big thing with Auburn is that they seemingly can't throw. If we can get a lead, we probably force them into some bad pass plays and limit their running game. If we don't, they could keep things close like they did vs Bama last year.

I'll be curious how they handle Sam LB. We saw some traditional 4-3 sets vs Ohio but I didn't actually note who was in on those sets. Wondering where Carter fits in also. He is showing great instincts.

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
I’d be more concerned about how many points the defense is allowing. Right now PSU is in the bottom half of the B1G in points allowed by the D, but that stat is a bit misleading in that 7 of the points scored by opponents this season are due to Purdue’s pick-six of Cliff. Without adjustment for that, PSU is tied with San Jose State (hmm), LSU, and BYU. Adjust for that and PSU is just a bit worse than Auburn.

In terms of opponents, Purdue > SJSU and Ohio > Mercer, so if PSU’s points allowed is a bit higher than average it might be because of the opponents. PSU D allowed Ohio fewer points than Ohio State allowed Arkansas State. And it should be noted that Auburn allowed Mercer to score 16 points.

I’m thinking this one will be close, Penn State should win it.

Reactions: ManxomeLion

Jim from Spicewood

Oct 12, 2021
Interesting metric. Assuming we're rotating early and often why are TFLs for non starters discounted? Maybe it's just as bad but sometimes stats are manipulated to tell a story.
Anecdotally, it would seem that sound tackling continues to be an issue and isn't necessarily a trait of Franklin defenses.
Looked this up on the PSU sports site: (T-TFL)

Vanover 4-0.5
Isaac 3-1
Robinson 3-1
Dennis-Sutton 2-0
van den Berg 2-0
Beamon 1-0.5
Durant 1-0
Ellies 1-0
Mustipher 1-0
Total 18-3

Other observations:
  • I listed total tackles and didn't bother breaking down solo vs. assists which may be what skewed the stats in the article the OP cited
  • The DL accounted for 3 pass break ups (Vanover, Robinson, Beamon) and 4 QBH (Isaac, Robinson, Dennis-Sutton, Beamon)
  • Tarburton, who started both games, is absent from the stat sheet

Reactions: ManxomeLion

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
Looked this up on the PSU sports site: (T-TFL)

Vanover 4-0.5
Isaac 3-1
Robinson 3-1
Dennis-Sutton 2-0
van den Berg 2-0
Beamon 1-0.5
Durant 1-0
Ellies 1-0
Mustipher 1-0
Total 18-3

Other observations:
  • I listed total tackles and didn't bother breaking down solo vs. assists which may be what skewed the stats in the article the OP cited
  • The DL accounted for 3 pass break ups (Vanover, Robinson,, Beamon) and 4 QBH (Isaac, Robinson, Dennis-Sutton, Beamon)
  • Tarburton, who started both games, is absent from the stat sheet
Thanks!
The pass break ups is a good metric as well, especially since they seem to have been few and far between in recent memory. Hopefully trending in the right direction!

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Pretty sure Chop had one to close out the PU game. DL isn't dominant though...Manny is going to need to create pressure and count on the strength of the team to cover.
Chop should have gotten a sack on the last play of the Purdue game but the Purdue QB got away a weak pass as Chop was tackling him that fell harmlessly into the open field and the refs ruled the play an incomplete pass. But Diaz and Franklin, in their minds, likely credit Chop with a sack....

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
So far, our DTs haven't gotten any noticeable penatration on run nor pass plays. Our DEs haven't taken advantage of being lighter in any fashion as it's not showed up in pass rush nor defending the edge / chasing down plays.

LBs seem to be about 30% of playing down hill so far. Doesn't help that our DTs haven't been hanging on at the LoS, but our box backers aren't coming up strong yet.

I hope a lot of this is based on playing pass first teams. Ohio tried to run (26 credited attempts), but giving up 100 to them when we were subbing depth in from drive 2 is fairly strong on our part. Take away their 3 biggest runs (one was a QB scramble and another was a trick play), and we held them to 50 yards.

The big thing with Auburn is that they seemingly can't throw. If we can get a lead, we probably force them into some bad pass plays and limit their running game. If we don't, they could keep things close like they did vs Bama last year.

I'll be curious how they handle Sam LB. We saw some traditional 4-3 sets vs Ohio but I didn't actually note who was in on those sets. Wondering where Carter fits in also. He is showing great instincts.
These are my concerns. No noticeable pressure by the front 4 forcing Diaz to create pressure elsewhere. The CB blitzes were not set up properly against Ohio…they were too far away to get to the QB. I really think this game is going to be really close. I plan to take double HBP medicine Saturday.

PSU Chicago

Oct 9, 2021
May help when Izzard and Smith get back in the line up. What is up with those two? CJF's doghouse?