Banff / Canada Rail Pass - anyone ever done it?

massimoManca II

Oct 12, 2021
thinking of something different for wife & myself for a vacation… Mid-50s, would not be golfing…

friend on Facebook has been posting pics of their trip to the Swiss alps - which is compelling - but I’m seeing too many reports of the ****-show that is European airports / air-travel right now …. I would imagine flying into Vancouver wouldn’t be the hassle vs Europe… Switzerland adventure can wait for another day …

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
thinking of something different for wife & myself for a vacation… Mid-50s, would not be golfing…

friend on Facebook has been posting pics of their trip to the Swiss alps - which is compelling - but I’m seeing too many reports of the ****-show that is European airports / air-travel right now …. I would imagine flying into Vancouver wouldn’t be the hassle vs Europe… Switzerland adventure can wait for another day …
Sounds like a great idea. I liked both Canmore and Banf. I would like to go back to take the ice hwy to Jasper.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
MM, we took a transatlantic cruise. Could be on option, depending on how long of a trip you're looking at. Very relaxing. Can be short 6-7 days or longer with multiple port stops. Hopefully the Euro airports will get it straightened out soon. Would like to go over in the fall.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Don’t know about the rail part but Banff and Jasper National Parks, and everything in between, are fantastic. We did 3 days in Jasper and 4 days in Banff (and one in Dead Man’s Flats - best town name ever) and I can recommend both without hesitation. If you go, be sure to take a drive on Highway 1A (parallels Highway 1) to see more wildlife (we saw 2 Grizzlies from a decent distance) and rent a canoe on Moraine Lake. Lake Louise is OK, but will be overrun by tourists.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Banff is spectacular, and I would highly recommend it. The closest large city is Calgary, which is also a great place to visit and might be a better airport to get in and out of than Vancouver. Enjoy your trip, whatever you choose!

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
We did Glacier NP, Banff, and Jasper for our honeymoon. We were arriving there 11 years ago today. loved it! We had a rental car so can’t speak to rail pass or train options.

Yogiman71

Oct 8, 2021
Rented an RV twice from Denver and drove to Glacier, then Banff and Jasper. Lake Louise and Moraine Lake also. Banff is a great town. If you need a great Pub go to St. James Gate Irish Pub. Great food and many beers to choose from. You could fly in to Calgary and rent a vehicle. Banf is only about 80 miles west of Calgary.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Rented an RV twice from Denver and drove to Glacier, then Banff and Jasper. Lake Louise and Moraine Lake also. Banff is a great town. If you need a great Pub go to St. James Gate Irish Pub. Great food and many beers to choose from. You could fly in to Calgary and rent a vehicle. Banf is only about 80 miles west of Calgary.
Thats what I did. Easy and scenic drive to Canmore. Canmore was a great place to stay, very walkable with tons of places to eat, its also 420 friendly with at least 1 store. Ton's of hiking and biking trails. Bus service between Canmore and Banff was very easy. We did the bike trail to and from that was a lot of fun. Banff is cute and very touristy. We drove to Lake Louise and got there just in time, it fills up fast. Then took a bus to Moraine lake. The lakes and trails are gorgeous.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I have family members who did, and they loved it. They left from Vancouver and it took a couple of ays to get across to Banff. The scenery was unbelievable. They then stayed at the Banff Hotel, which is beautiful. I have other family members in the area, so it becamse a family reunion. No one is all that into sports, so they just enjoyed the train/people and sights.

I say do it. Just make sure you and your wife have matching fanny packs. :sneaky:

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021

Posted this to say that seeing Lakes: Moraine, Louise, Peyto, and Bow in one day is doable. Save time for Jasper as well.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Thats what I did. Easy and scenic drive to Canmore. Canmore was a great place to stay, very walkable with tons of places to eat, its also 420 friendly with at least 1 store. Ton's of hiking and biking trails. Bus service between Canmore and Banff was very easy. We did the bike trail to and from that was a lot of fun. Banff is cute and very touristy. We drove to Lake Louise and got there just in time, it fills up fast. Then took a bus to Moraine lake. The lakes and trails are gorgeous.
Canmore is great and underated! Go early! Moraine and Louise get crowded. Peyto can be spectacular as well if the lighting is right. Peyto's water color appears to change as the sun rises and sets. Beautiful glacial lake! Note" Peyto is a bit of a hike.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Canmore is great and underated! Go early! Moraine and Louise get crowded. Peyto can be spectacular as well if the lighting is right. Peyto's water color appears to chance as the sun rises and sets. Beautiful glacial lake! Note" Peyto is a bit of a hike.
+1. a few of the pics at the start are from the VRBO we rented in Canmore. 3rd floor great balcony with 3 sister views.
We'd like to go back to do Peyto lake and the Jasper Hwy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60907528@N02/albums/72157709682353641

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
I’ll be watching this thread. I have Calgary/Banff & Vancouver on the prospect list for end of August. Would likely fly Calgary to Vancouver to save time but finding out all the stuff around Banff is a big help.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
I’ll be watching this thread. I have Calgary/Banff & Vancouver on the prospect list for end of August. Would likely fly Calgary to Vancouver to save time but finding out all the stuff around Banff is a big help.
Consider driving from Calgary to all of the areas discussed. Jasper is huge and butts up to/ dips into eastern B.C. There is so much to see in Banff/ Jasper, but also in Vancouver/ Victoria Island. Maybe driving from Calgary to Vancouver makes sense?

Reactions: CDLionFL and bbrown

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Possibly helpful links?

Rode on a few. Took the rental from Vancouver to Roberts Creek B.C. and back. Also from Vancouver to Victoria and back.

B.C.Ferries

Vancouver Airport (YVR) to Sea to sky gondola did part of this. Add on a jaunt to Whistler? Did this. It was a nice ride. Didn't leave enough time to see the various falls/ provincial lakes and parks on the way. Visit Whistler?

Didn't do this either. Garibaldi Provincial park

Johnston Canyon- Canmore Alberta Only saw a very short section of this area.

The COMPLETE Guide to Getting from Banff to Jasper (Icefields Parkway) for 2022

Did not do this, so I really can't say much about it:

Driving Routes Between Vancouver And Banff And Jasper

PSU1993

Oct 29, 2021
My mom and niece planned to do the train from Banff to Vancouver a few years back. Unfortunately, that was when those massive floods hit Banff. They got stranded in Banff for about a week. It got pretty grim, town was running out of food, etc. She was not happy.

massimoManca II

Oct 12, 2021
Update (for those who may care) : after much discussion with the spouse... decision made to nix the train aspect, instead we’ll be flying into Calgary, renting a car and spending a week meandering, eventually to Vancouver, from where we’ll fly home ... a couple / three days allocated just for Banff... flights are booked, car is reserved, booking lodging now per our itinerary

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Update (for those who may care) : after much discussion with the spouse... decision made to nix the train aspect, instead we’ll be flying into Calgary, renting a car and spending a week meandering, eventually to Vancouver, from where we’ll fly home ... a couple / three days allocated just for Banff... flights are booked, car is reserved, booking lodging now per our itinerary
Columbia Icefields/ Athabasca Glacier

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
My wife and I did it that way. Vancouver was a separate trip before Calgary, Banff and Jasper.

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Save a day (or more?) for Jasper. The drive up alone might be filled with photo stops. You may or may not want to walk on the Athabasca glacier. Most parts have crosswalks for wildlife, but there might be occassional slow downs for wildlife crossings including bear. Forgot to mention buying a ticket for the glacier/ tundra vehicle if you decide not to hike to the glacier. Also bring a canteen so that you can drink some fresh glacier water.

Also look for towns out from Banff. Peak season louging is expensive scarce.

If you make it to Vancouver Island: Cathedral Grove Vancouver Island Bc: https://bcparks.ca/explore/parkpgs/macmill

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...strict_Vancouver_Island_British_Columbia.html

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
MMII - That’s a silly question, thousands and thousands of people do it every year!

(Seriously, I hope to do it someday too!)

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Thought I'd bring this thread back up to tell of my experience a couple weeks ago. It was perfect weather every day except for one day in Vancouver and I was gonna be doing indoor stuff that day anyway. First day was spent just walking around Canmore and then the town of Banff, taking a few trails there around the Bow River and seeing all of the town. Second day was Lake Louise & Moraine Lake. The bus setup they have for those two places worked out great -- don't have to worry about jockeying for parking and also paying for it. The sights at those two lakes were beyond outstanding. I tried to do one of the hikes to a teahouse but it was an all-uphill start and I had to stop a half mile into it. I'm not at all out of shape but what I had forgotten about was the elevation -- 5500 feet. So I worked my way back down and just hiked the lakeshore trail. Saw a couple of people climbing the rock at the far end of the lake. It's amazing to see the dexterity involved with doing that. I'm not a heights guy (as I'll mention later in this post) so that's not anything for me. The next day was a trip to the Icefields and the walk on the Athabasca glacier. What an amazing experience. Water as pure as you can get and just a serene atmosphere. The drive to and from there was filled with amazing views all around. I used to be a 'beaches are better' guy but after this trip through Alberta, I'm on the mountains side now.

I then flew to Vancouver and on the first night there, I went to the Saskatchewan-BC CFL game. It's certainly a different game in terms of rules and clock scenarios than our game but the play is pretty similar, just with a lot more passing. The game wasn't anything to write home about but it was nice to get a taste of it. Saturday there was spent on a bus trip to Whisler and a stop at the Sea to Sky Gondola. Remember that part about not liking heights? Yeah, that gondola ride up to 3000 feet was not the greatest but fortunately, I had someone in there to talk to in order to keep my mind and eyes off of it. The overlook of Howe Sound and the surrounding mountains was ridiculously good, even with some cloud cover. The ride down on that gondola was ok until it stopped about 500 feet from the station, about 200 feet high. That was a solo ride and for those 15 seconds, I was pretty frantic inside and sweating. I couldn't get out of that gondola fast enough when the door opened. The ride to Whisler had plenty to look at and then we had about 3 1/2 hours in Whisler village to do whatever we wanted. So I walked and I hiked. Probably put on about 5 miles but I ended up going to the wrong lake instead of Green Lake. But since I'm a sucker for golf courses, I wanted to go check one of theirs out. The village was pretty interesting with all of the pubs and eateries there as well as a dirt bike course setup where I saw one guy bite it into the metal gates trying to stop. They had gondolas to the top of Whisler and Blackcomb Mountains. I decided to leave those alone. Before I left Vancouver, I spent some time at Granville Island which is a great public market and restaurant area across the river from downtown. The display at Stuart's bakery in there almost caused me to miss my flight because I was just staring at all the good stuff. My only complaint about Vancouver was that it's not exactly the easiest to get downtown. The main highways don't have exits right to downtown. You have to exit early and work your way through city streets to get to the heart of town. If you know the Harrisburg area at all, I equated it to exiting I-83 at Union Deposit and having to work your way from there down to 2nd Street. It added a little time to the drives but all in all, not too terrible.

It was a great trip overall and I'd recommend Canmore/Banff/Jasper to anyone who loves the outdoors and loves seeing something a little different than what you get on the East Coast. Oh, and here's the best picture I took all week. It's of Moraine Lake. It'll be going on my wall as soon as I can get the right size and frame.

Moraine.jpg

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Thought I'd bring this thread back up to tell of my experience a couple weeks ago. It was perfect weather every day except for one day in Vancouver and I was gonna be doing indoor stuff that day anyway. First day was spent just walking around Canmore and then the town of Banff, taking a few trails there around the Bow River and seeing all of the town. Second day was Lake Louise & Moraine Lake. The bus setup they have for those two places worked out great -- don't have to worry about jockeying for parking and also paying for it. The sights at those two lakes were beyond outstanding. I tried to do one of the hikes to a teahouse but it was an all-uphill start and I had to stop a half mile into it. I'm not at all out of shape but what I had forgotten about was the elevation -- 5500 feet. So I worked my way back down and just hiked the lakeshore trail. Saw a couple of people climbing the rock at the far end of the lake. It's amazing to see the dexterity involved with doing that. I'm not a heights guy (as I'll mention later in this post) so that's not anything for me. The next day was a trip to the Icefields and the walk on the Athabasca glacier. What an amazing experience. Water as pure as you can get and just a serene atmosphere. The drive to and from there was filled with amazing views all around. I used to be a 'beaches are better' guy but after this trip through Alberta, I'm on the mountains side now.

I then flew to Vancouver and on the first night there, I went to the Saskatchewan-BC CFL game. It's certainly a different game in terms of rules and clock scenarios than our game but the play is pretty similar, just with a lot more passing. The game wasn't anything to write home about but it was nice to get a taste of it. Saturday there was spent on a bus trip to Whisler and a stop at the Sea to Sky Gondola. Remember that part about not liking heights? Yeah, that gondola ride up to 3000 feet was not the greatest but fortunately, I had someone in there to talk to in order to keep my mind and eyes off of it. The overlook of Howe Sound and the surrounding mountains was ridiculously good, even with some cloud cover. The ride down on that gondola was ok until it stopped about 500 feet from the station, about 200 feet high. That was a solo ride and for those 15 seconds, I was pretty frantic inside and sweating. I couldn't get out of that gondola fast enough when the door opened. The ride to Whisler had plenty to look at and then we had about 3 1/2 hours in Whisler village to do whatever we wanted. So I walked and I hiked. Probably put on about 5 miles but I ended up going to the wrong lake instead of Green Lake. But since I'm a sucker for golf courses, I wanted to go check one of theirs out. The village was pretty interesting with all of the pubs and eateries there as well as a dirt bike course setup where I saw one guy bite it into the metal gates trying to stop. They had gondolas to the top of Whisler and Blackcomb Mountains. I decided to leave those alone. Before I left Vancouver, I spent some time at Granville Island which is a great public market and restaurant area across the river from downtown. The display at Stuart's bakery in there almost caused me to miss my flight because I was just staring at all the good stuff. My only complaint about Vancouver was that it's not exactly the easiest to get downtown. The main highways don't have exits right to downtown. You have to exit early and work your way through city streets to get to the heart of town. If you know the Harrisburg area at all, I equated it to exiting I-83 at Union Deposit and having to work your way from there down to 2nd Street. It added a little time to the drives but all in all, not too terrible.

It was a great trip overall and I'd recommend Canmore/Banff/Jasper to anyone who loves the outdoors and loves seeing something a little different than what you get on the East Coast. Oh, and here's the best picture I took all week. It's of Moraine Lake. It'll be going on my wall as soon as I can get the right size and frame.

View attachment 229967
Stunning picture! One can never tire from seeing pictures of Moraine Lake and the ten peaks back drop!!!

Glad you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing. In addition to hearing about your experience and that you enjoyed the trip, it helps those of us that wish to go/ return plan for future trips.

I Can't wait to go back!

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

View attachment 229967
Gorgeous photo. The first time I saw Moraine lake was literally a jaw dropper for me.
Although I didn't think the bus and parking was as easy as you did and at 6'3" the school bus wasn't the best "fit" for me.
I absolutely loved Canmore. I want to go back and do the ice hwy.
Glad you had a good time and thanks for sharing.(y)

Reactions: bytir

massimoManca II

Oct 12, 2021
Epilogue: Just returned from an eight day journey driving from Calgary to Vancouver with stops in Canmore/Banff, Lake Louise, Golden, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Harrison Hot Springs ... with many many day-hikes / exploratory hikes in between... absolutely glad we rented a car as opposed to doing the train...

as touristy as Banff is, it was indeed our favorite, not only for the sheer topographic WOW factor, probably because the resort we chose was perfect and away from the touristy part... absolutely loved Glacier National Park and Yoho NP...

were we to do it again (and we will) , we’ll fly into Edmonton which will allow us to explore Jasper and the Icefields... as beautiful as Vancouver is, we regretted not getting in more mountain time instead of cosmopolitan time while waiting to fly home

Canadians are simply wonderful people ... from now on I will refer to bathrooms/ restrooms only as “ washrooms”