Beaver Stadium experience

Frontflipper1

Oct 13, 2021
For the second game, my son left at halftime and was gone until 8 minutes left in game for chicken and fries. He doesn’t get it but I’m blown away at the lines. Pathetic. We sit in lower level of EJ. FWIW we have had these seats since the major STEP change. No one around us still seems to use the seats. Different people every game who have no concept, no respect. Jerk in front of my brother stood whole game. He is too old and passive to ask for the guy to sit. I’ve had this issue numerous times and get 50% response. Heavily considering buying as the season goes. Anyone already ahead of me with experience to advise?

cac@PSU

Oct 15, 2021
Beaver Stadium is like an old high school stadium with just bare essentials , 100 yard and 2 goal post. Concession stands and restrooms are extremely poor. No real push to build a stadium used 7 times a year. Mich stadium is just as bad.

LuvDaLions

Oct 30, 2021
While our facilities are not great, I think of all the college stadiums I’ve been to, they rank near the top. Ohio States are the worst I’ve been to, followed by Rutgers.

Reactions: PSUFTG

NL2017

Oct 25, 2021
For the second game, my son left at halftime and was gone until 8 minutes left in game for chicken and fries. He doesn’t get it but I’m blown away at the lines. Pathetic. We sit in lower level of EJ. FWIW we have had these seats since the major STEP change. No one around us still seems to use the seats. Different people every game who have no concept, no respect. Jerk in front of my brother stood whole game. He is too old and passive to ask for the guy to sit. I’ve had this issue numerous times and get 50% response. Heavily considering buying as the season goes. Anyone already ahead of me with experience to advise?

Have you tried saying, "Down in front"?

nepalion

Oct 31, 2021
i am a former season ticket holder and former mt nittany club member. former, not because of football on the field, but because the university cannot seem to do anything right in terms of fan experience, including getting to the stadium, parking at the stadium, and being in the stadium. tv's are nice these days, and i can always get a ticket when the weather and my schedule coincide. but that still puts me back in that awful stadium. it's actually a danger.
there is no way out if there's an emergency and you're in either grandstand. forget about a snack break or bathroom break that take less than a quarter. it's really disappointing.

Reactions: PSUFTG and PSU1969A

BostonNit

Oct 27, 2021
I hear you. And they ran out of grey poupon dipping sauce by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Also, what modern stadium doesn't have cobb salad vendors walking the stands? And I'm outraged I had to go to the club seat area to find raspberry vinaigrette.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
This is the least of our problems…

Reactions: bbrown

LealandLoyal

Oct 29, 2021
I miss courteous fans of old who are there to watch the game. Nothing wrong with standing up and cheering on big plays. But the idiots who stand up and decide to leave their seats in the middle of action, rather than waiting until a break like a change of possession or TV commercial really suck. I’m talking about like a third and eight and the guy in front of me pops up to go take a piss right as the ball is being snapped or the folks walking up the aisle standing tall during play. I recall a time when those in the aisle would duck down so people could see the action.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Given the length of TV timeouts now, you can execute a bathroom run and/or a concession run during that timeout and not miss a thing. Possession ends, watch for the ‘red hat’ popping out from the sideline, and make your move. You’ve got 2:45 at least to get in and get out.

Superdave63

Oct 31, 2021
The Beave isn’t the best but it’s far from the worst. I can tell you first hand it is better that the stadiums at OSU, Wisky, NW and Tenn......but could obviously use a few upgrades. As for parking, don’t get me started. It consistently takes me 2 hours to get out of lots 11 and 12....seems like it has gottem exponentially worse over the last 3 years.

Reactions: Bison13

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Don't worry, Sandy is working on a multi-billion dollar solution to fix 10% of the problems. Money is no object!
Well Joseph, Dambly and his construction affiliates do charge Penn State high markup for university projects.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Still can’t get lattes and scones in the stadium. Definitely eat before the game.
I remember years ago being given front row tickets to see the Devils play at the Meadowlands before they later moved to Newark. I was never up there before as I’m a Flyers fan. Anyway, I was amazed that you could buy Knishes in the arena.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Concession and restrooms facilities are poor. Club level are my ch better than the general population seats, but not up to the level seen at most professional stadiums . IDK why they can’t improve the food quality/choices . You are not exactly reinventing the wheel . I guess we don’t deserve better . Also more blue band , less piped in music would be a big improvement. Especially since Bob is no longer on the blue band. He was often missing and would BRB .

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
This is an excellent thread and discussion to have. (And it's nice to see Barry contributing as well.)

I have been noticing issues both inside and outside the stadium all year and, frankly, for the past several years.

A few point about the OP: The concession lines are beyond a joke. Ignore for the moment those of you wondering why people don't eat at the tailgate and just watch the game. While I personally agree and avoid eating in sports stadiums unless it is convenient, tasty and economical, that is NOT the point. Why does it have to be so inconvenient, expensive and downright difficult at the Beav? For example, guests of mine wanted soft drinks during Auburn. I jumped through the railing and went to the concourse behind EBU-ECU. The lines mid-2Q were mind blowing and jamming the concourse. I ran down the ramps, figuring it might be better at ground level it was, and I only missed about 3-4 minutes of game action and it took about 15 minutes real time behind EA-EB to get four drinks and run back to EBU.

I agree with posters who complain about people standing, but there are many points during a game where standing is appropriate and, indeed, should be done. I'm one of those people who like to stand and scream for the defense. I try to encourage noise on defense. But I'm also respectful ( I think). I don't want to negatively impact someone else's enjoyment of the game. Yesterday, for example, in EFU, there was a group of fans in rows 38-40 who stood the entire game. They were not directly in front of my party, but anything south of the 30 yard line necessitated me standing as well. I tried not to stand all the way, but rather leaned over the railing so that people behind me could see as well. Ushers could seal with this, but they don't, and it's hard to blame them. People can be belligerent and violent when you call them on poor behavior. I've seen it with our ushers, who we usually recognize, but not always. (And don't get me started on the "official" security forces. But that's a different topic for a different thread, perhaps.) Suffice it to say that there are people who decide to watch the game or even a couple plays while standing in the walkway, completely ignorant of those behind them or the signs saying not to do this, then they will argue with the ushers before begrudgingly moving along.

The restroom situation varies greatly depending on your seat location and game situation. Where I am, Row 41 on the railing above the walkway, I can easily slip through the railing, go left through the portal 20 feet away, walk 50-60 feet and be in the restroom. I've done this inside of two minutes easily by timing it right and not missing a play. But someone in Row 60-80 on either side does not have that choice. First, you have to get up and crawl to the aisle, then down the steps. If you don't want to miss game time, then before kickoff and halftime are your choices. That choice also applies to those who are no wanting to impact people around them. For the most part, people are polite and take into account when attending games. However, not everyone does this, and politeness is declining, IMO.

The parking lots aren't that different. I love tailgating, but some of these people and spreads are clearly violating the rules and blocking ingress/egress. In lot 44 (old blue), I arrived for the Auburn game and there were people setting up chairs and tables in the ingress/egress path/road just to the right past the blue RV lot. And again, the lot attendants are not paid or experienced enough and just weekly temps cashing a check. They are trained in, and they don't care, the policies and have no reason or incentive to address problems. And they shouldn't, there should be actual university authorities policing this issue.

(Sorry this is so long, but I care deeply about the fan experience at PSU) One final thought for now: I was walking up Porter Road yesterday about 11:45 heading to the gate. There was a line of cars EXITING the lot near Medlar Field and being directed across Porter to the old RED lot and being handed parking passes as they crossed Porter by the university guard on the road. Again, they were crossing straight across Porter to the paved lot south of the stadium. Does anyone know why this was happening? TIA, and WE ARE...

Reactions: PSUFTG and Tirefish

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
I miss courteous fans of old who are there to watch the game. Nothing wrong with standing up and cheering on big plays. But the idiots who stand up and decide to leave their seats in the middle of action, rather than waiting until a break like a change of possession or TV commercial really suck. I’m talking about like a third and eight and the guy in front of me pops up to go take a piss right as the ball is being snapped or the folks walking up the aisle standing tall during play. I recall a time when those in the aisle would duck down so people could see the action.
This behavior is not unique to PSU. I am an ND fan. When I first went there, the fans were incredibly good about their conduct; even though it is still much better than most, it is not the same. Crude and rude behavior in fashion these days for at least some of us.

Reactions: Psu00

Waaaaaaaany

Oct 13, 2021
At some point while standing in line your son needs to ask himself why he came into the stadium, for the game or the chicken & fries? If you came for the game you abandon the line and get back to your seat.

cmentheadcra k

Sep 23, 2021
We need more people standing than sitting on their rear end eating chicken tenders in my opinion. Heck, people are spending 2k+ on Step and tickets they should be able to attend naked if they wanted to.

Reactions: Bison13

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
The long tv timeouts are what did me in. moms just said she wants to do blue white next spring but we won’t go in. I’m over it.

Pennst8

Oct 25, 2021
He must really like chicken

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021
Given the length of TV timeouts now, you can execute a bathroom run and/or a concession run during that timeout and not miss a thing. Possession ends, watch for the ‘red hat’ popping out from the sideline, and make your move. You’ve got 2:45 at least to get in and get out.
AgreeCD. I can make it to the men’s room and back in a tv timeout. That with 64 yr old knees and uphill both ways lol

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
I have never really experienced the huge lines at stands and bathrooms. In a stdium with bleacher seating it is about as good as it can be. I always wanted to be in my seat about 40 minutes prior to kickoff so I could go straight in. People who want to leave the tailgate 15 minutes before kickoff are the problem.

Parking is a different animal but most parking issues are due to people not wanting to follow the perscribed rules. It only takes one car trying to go the wrong way to screw things up for a while. Of course it is going to be bad leaving for 3:30 and 7:30 games just like coming in for 12:00 games is bad. Give yourself plenty of time and it isn't a problem.

At the end of the day most problems are a result of a lack of patience among the patrons.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
After this school year of sports we are likely giving up our seats to all sports except for wrestling. Not even about products on field, court, ice, etc. It is such a hassle and production to attend events these days. And there is always at least one fellow fan that acts like a fool.

We are taking money not spent on tix and upgrading den into a real sports room with a few TVs, etc. Our own little sports bar.

Reactions: PSUFTG