Beaver Stadium Proposal:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Mauti is now an employee now so I'm not sure that can happen. It's ironic that guys like Mauti and Short who are pulling for the football team like all of us here are now vilified? Of course they want to give everything possible to the football team. They're former players FFS.

The Mauti comment was OBVIOUSLY. o_O a (bad) joke.

Short gets sh|t because he’s all about sports, and mainly football, when as a trustee, he should be about a whole lot more. His entire campaign to be re-elected was sports and taking credit for things he had little or nothing to do with.

Last edited:

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

Short gets sh|t because he’s all about sports, and mainly football, when as a trustee, he should about a whole lot more. His entire campaign to be re-elected was sports and taking credit for things he had little or nothing to do with.
McGloin up next. Let's see if he sticks to his message that was backed by Sue. After all, he's a politician in my district.

I believe Short was also originally backed by Sue as well.

Reactions: BobPSU92

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The university will offer you ride share rides in a small electric tuk tuk, taking you up the concourse ramps for a nominal fee*. Brought to you thanks to the generosity of Pepsi and Blaise Alexander.

* prices may surge during peak usage times.
* if traffic is slow users may opt to travel in variably priced express lanes for faster service
* in ride refreshments will be available, for an additional charge
San Diego Bike GIF

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Short gets sh|t because he’s all about sports, and mainly football, when as a trustee, he should about a whole lot more. His entire campaign to be re-elected was sports and taking credit for things he had little or nothing to do with.

Remember when we had a bunch of serious candidates with impressive resumes who wanted to be on the BOT?

Remember Old Lady GIF by IFHT Films

Reactions: BobPSU92

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
I wonder if some of it is the fact that the Beav sits on limestone that may/does have caverns underneath. I'd always heard that was one reason for the Erector Set design--the ground might not be able to hold a concrete design like some of the other stadia mentioned.

Dear God, I deal with this with the nerds at work. I come to this sports site to get away from daily work issues. I am entitled to not have to deal with work issues on a sports site. I'm reading 'TIC' IN YOUR POST
Oh ro, stop being a drama queen. gilbert asked a very interesting question that piqued my interest about the Beaver being constructed similar to an erector set and not concrete/masonry producing a heavier footprint.
IIRC, I remember mention of the area having limestone deposits which enhances trout stream fishing.
I really don't believe it would take a nerd to perform a simpleton's activity as interperting soil information, cut & paste the findings.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Oh ro, stop being a drama queen. gilbert asked a very interesting question that piqued myths interest about the Beaver being constructed similar to an erector set and not concrete/masonry producing a heavier footprint.
IIRC, I remember mention of the area having limestone deposits which enhances trout stream fishing.
I really don't believe it would take a nerd to perform a simpleton's activity as interperting soil information, cut & paste the findings.
You said beaver and erector in the same sentence. 🤣

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
The university will offer you ride share rides in a small electric tuk tuk, taking you up the concourse ramps for a nominal fee*. Brought to you thanks to the generosity of Pepsi and Blaise Alexander.

* prices may surge during peak usage times.
* if traffic is slow users may opt to travel in variably priced express lanes for faster service
* in ride refreshments will be available, for an additional charge
Ramps? In the list of upgrades it say 4 new stair towers will be added. Try your tuk tuk up or down stairs. 🤣

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Remember when we had a bunch of serious candidates with impressive resumes who wanted to be on the BOT?

Remember Old Lady GIF by IFHT Films
Yeah, people like Anne Riley. Her 2012 reelection campaign came with a position statement which was the biggest stinking pile I've ever read. I wish I could post it but I can't find it anywhere. She lost as we all know. Daddy's name could only carry her so far.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Even though I am about to say it, it goes without saying that these stadium upgrades will get Franklin over the hump. 😀

😞

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Yes. But, in the way Mauti is doing it. Not as part of the governing body of the university.

In 2012, 86 candidates ran for three seats. In 2013, it was 39.

Honestly, who would want to run for an Alumni seat? I think the best candidates quit trying when they saw those elected were repeatedly treated like clowns and could do nothing about it. So now you get name recognition candidates that apparently don't mind voting yes or are ok taking a beating at meetings after being kept in the dark regarding executive sessions.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Don't be silly. There will be one open air elevator that holds 3 people for the East Siders Rude! Then 4 escalators running downwards so that you have to fight twice as hard to get up to the top. (They turn around and run upward halfway through the 4th quarter).

What are the odds they put in the escalators but underestimate the volume and will have to turn them off at the end of games because there will be too many people using them at the same time? Doesn’t Heinz Field (or whatever they call it now) have the same problem?

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Comments associated with Brandon’s above post:

View attachment 578716

So according to Brandon, they had $200 million of costs “with no viable way to fund it” sooooo they voted for a $700 million job instead? ($700 million as of now- wait for the real final amount. 😂).

Can’t wait to hear which BOT member’s family/ company is going to be raking in the money from this decision.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
What are the odds they put in the escalators but underestimate the volume and will have to turn them off at the end of games because there will be too many people using them at the same time? Doesn’t Heinz Field (or whatever they call it now) have the same problem?
I'm sure they'll have a study to design a plan to make the escalators seem like a good idea just like they did when they hired that firm to set up the game day traffic pattern.

Reactions: Bison13 and Psu00

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
So according to Brandon, they had $200 million of costs “with no viable way to fund it” sooooo they voted for a $700 million job instead? ($700 million as of now- wait for the real final amount. 😂).

Can’t wait to hear which BOT member’s family/ company is going to be raking in the money from this decision.
For some reason, I think the project is going to come in under budget by $75 mm or so just to save face.

Srg111

Nov 25, 2021

The explanation was that if we fund $200M in repairs, there are no new revenue streams and we are out $200M. If we renovate for $700M, we add new revenue and theoretically make a profit over a 30 year period. Barry tried to challenge the PSU model and essentially was shut down. PSU CFO said the numbers are conservative.

I think a bigger question is funding 31 sports teams. If we eliminate a bunch of teams, wouldnt that fund a large chunk of this project by itself with those savings? If Alabama carries 14 fewer sports than we do, that is a lot less money that is going away from football.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The explanation was that if we fund $200M in repairs, there are no new revenue streams and we are out $200M. If we renovate for $700M, we add new revenue and theoretically make a profit over a 30 year period. Barry tried to challenge the PSU model and essentially was shut down. PSU CFO said the numbers are conservative.

I think a bigger question is funding 31 sports teams. If we eliminate a bunch of teams, wouldnt that fund a large chunk of this project by itself with those savings? If Alabama carries 14 fewer sports than we do, that is a lot less money that is going away from football.

Penn State: Bigger is better.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

What "numbers are conservative?" Does the additional revenue generated by the additional $500mm expenditure (over the cost of so-called deferred maintenance) offset the cost plus interest? Has anyone seen the number? It's composition?

Elimination of all sports other than men's and women's basketball and wrestling might cover interest on the stadium project.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Per PSU, the project cost will not exceed $700 MM. Cost overruns are not uncommon on major, lengthy capital projects. Inflation, supply chain challenges, unanticipated redesigns, whatever. How sure is PSU that this project won’t cost more than $700 MM? Did they sandbag? Or what will get cut to bring the cost in line?

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
Per PSU, the project cost will not exceed $700 MM. Cost overruns are not uncommon on major, lengthy capital projects. Inflation, supply chain challenges, unanticipated redesigns, whatever. How sure is PSU that this project won’t cost more than $700 MM? Did they sandbag? Or what will get cut to bring the cost in line?
My uninformed, uneducated guess ....

1 - the costs will definitely exceed the $700 million and they'll call another BOT meeting to rubber stamp the additional debt needed to pay the increased costs or ...

2 - they'll lock down the $700 expenditure and begin cutting (reducing) some of the original renovation plans - escalators, bathrooms, latte stands, etc.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
$2M for a state of the art room for smoking meat!

Nov 3, 2021
What "numbers are conservative?" Does the additional revenue generated by the additional $500mm expenditure (over the cost of so-called deferred maintenance) offset the cost plus interest? Has anyone seen the number? It's composition?

Elimination of all sports other than men's and women's basketball and wrestling might cover interest on the stadium project.
I kept hearing them say 'our numbers are very conservative'. Then Pat Kraft - who looked like he was going to explode - started saying about how they looked at the revenue, or philanthropy, I didn't understand exactly, that Oregon, Texas, Alabama, etc were getting and they used that as a baseline for what Penn State could get.

Which is completely ridiculous. Oregon was Phil Knight/Nike money and the other schools have rabid alumni who haven't been treated like dirt by their alma maters. We could only raise $14.7m in 2022 and now somehow Penn State is going to really roll up their sleeves and get serious about shaking money trees? Neeli getting on the jet with Paul Clifford to do personal meet and greets, like JoePa and Roger Williams used to do? SuePa would call Roger and tell him she found a bunch of checks for $100,000 in the pocket of Joe's khakis and almost ran them through the wash and to come over and pick them up.

Magical thinking continues to drive us into the ground.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
It means they added $100 million to the total for themselves but in the end they will be happy with only 50 mil

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
They can get construction guaranteed maximum price contracts. Key is to know your contractors exceptionally well. specifications need to bein excruciating detail to prevent corners from being cut, use of inferior materials, etc. Typically these contracts do not cover unforeseen conditions or change orders (what constitutes a change order? See knowing you contractor very well). Contract also specifies how any savings below the guarantee are shared.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I kept hearing them say 'our numbers are very conservative'. Then Pat Kraft - who looked like he was going to explode - started saying about how they looked at the revenue, or philanthropy, I didn't understand exactly, that Oregon, Texas, Alabama, etc were getting and they used that as a baseline for what Penn State could get.

Which is completely ridiculous. Oregon was Phil Knight/Nike money and the other schools have rabid alumni who haven't been treated like dirt by their alma maters. We could only raise $14.7m in 2022 and now somehow Penn State is going to really roll up their sleeves and get serious about shaking money trees? Neeli getting on the jet with Paul Clifford to do personal meet and greets, like JoePa and Roger Williams used to do? SuePa would call Roger and tell him she found a bunch of checks for $100,000 in the pocket of Joe's khakis and almost ran them through the wash and to come over and pick them up.

Magical thinking continues to drive us into the ground.
Never use another school's experience to base estimates. School should be intimately familiar with its donor base and have a good sense of what it will provide.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
My uninformed, uneducated guess ....

1 - the costs will definitely exceed the $700 million and they'll call another BOT meeting to rubber stamp the additional debt needed to pay the increased costs or ...

2 - they'll lock down the $700 expenditure and begin cutting (reducing) some of the original renovation plans - escalators, bathrooms, latte stands, etc.

Cut latte stands?!