Being a Gamecock fan is the sickest form of mental torture

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We had NO reason whatsoever to believe we'd have a good team this year. There were so many question marks, not the least of which was the Loggains hire and starting Joyner at RB. Yet, here we were to start the season, having talked ourselves into thinking we might actually be good. Even as I sat here and watch what is a very, very, very, very bad football team, I know in my head we are looking down the barrel of a very bad season, but I find myself thinking "Who knows what'll happen if we can work out the kinks by the UGA game?"

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
We are who we are. It’s not going to change. Nothing drastic is happening that’s suddenly going to make us any different than we’ve always been. We’ve always had the fanbase. We were behind on facilities in the early 2000’s but ahead of many other teams that still beat us. We just have no niche. There is nothing about us that is going to change anything. It is what it is.

We’ll have a good run every now and then. Maybe a good coach will turn it in the right direction for 4-5 years. It’ll return to mediocrity.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
We are who we are. It’s not going to change. Nothing drastic is happening that’s suddenly going to make us any different than we’ve always been. We’ve always had the fanbase. We were behind on facilities in the early 2000’s but ahead of many other teams that still beat us. We just have no niche. There is nothing about us that is going to change anything. It is what it is.

We’ll have a good run every now and then. Maybe a good coach will turn it in the right direction for 4-5 years. It’ll return to mediocrity.
:sigh: it is true. I mean, I'm nearly 50 and I've never known anything different, other than that one, glorious 3-year stretch under Spurrier (and even each one of those years had a dumb loss to take out of the SECCG). We're not working with a small sample size here.

We'll never be anything other than what we always have been. Usually mediocre, sometimes bad, rarely good.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
:sigh: it is true. I mean, I'm nearly 50 and I've never known anything different, other than that one, glorious 3-year stretch under Spurrier (and even each one of those years had a dumb loss to take out of the SECCG). We're not working with a small sample size here.

We'll never be anything other than what we always have been. Usually mediocre, sometimes bad, rarely good.
We certainly aren’t all of a sudden spending more $$ to catch up.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
The question marks for the fans were supposed to be addressed during the off season. Heads should roll Monday morning. Tanner should be on the news now reading the current coaching staff the riot act. But Tanner sucks at his job and his head in the sand.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The question marks for the fans were supposed to be addressed during the off season. Heads should roll Monday morning. Tanner should be on the news now reading the current coaching staff the riot act. But Tanner sucks at his job and his head in the sand.
The performance tonight is so reminiscent of what happened at the end of the SOS era when we all had that "oh crap!" moment and realized the good times were over.

cockyinflorida

Joined Aug 7, 2018
Feb 11, 2022
The performance tonight is so reminiscent of what happened at the end of the SOS era when we all had that "oh crap!" moment and realized the good times were over.
It’s week one. Everyone here can kiss my ***. There’s a reason you aren’t on the paid board.

CriminalTrakerAlum80

Joined Oct 17, 2020
Feb 5, 2022
I think we can skip the "keep those freshman running backs out until next year" theory and go ahead and put them to work now. I can not recall a time our RB's were so bad on the field as I witnessed tonight. And for the life of me, going all the way back to the Birmingham Bowl and a lose to UCONN can we not find someone that can coach and recruit the OL. These major steps backwards kills recruiting.

Reactions: Patriot321

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It’s week one. Everyone here can kiss my ***. There’s a reason you aren’t on the paid board.
We just got our a**es handed to us by one of the worst defenses we’ll face this year.

We had negative rushing yards. Negative. This performance makes me yearn for the Muschamp days.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think we can skip the "keep those freshman running backs out until next year" theory and go ahead and put them to work now. I can not recall a time our RB's were so bad on the field as I witnessed tonight. And for the life of me, going all the way back to the Birmingham Bowl and a lose to UCONN can we not find someone that can coach and recruit the OL. These major steps backwards kills recruiting.
Yes. Joyner is not a RB. I mean, we all knew that right? Kudos to him for stepping in when his number was called, but the performance tonight was… I’m struggling to come up with an adjective…abysmal.

HillsToSea

Joined Apr 12, 2020
Jan 25, 2022
Yes. Joyner is not a RB. I mean, we all knew that right? Kudos to him for stepping in when his number was called, but the performance tonight was… I’m struggling to come up with an adjective…abysmal.
Any RB would have struggled with that line

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
I will re-hash this statement. That Tanner should have been fired along side Muschamp, thus not allowing his hand in a hire or anything else to do with the football program. Until then; this is what we can expect.

Reactions: TaxCock

Mic4usc

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Jan 22, 2022
We just got our a**es handed to us by one of the worst defenses we’ll face this year.

We had negative rushing yards. Negative. This performance makes me yearn for the Muschamp days.
UNC came to play tonight AND they have the horses on the DL. Just bc they have sucked doesn’t mean they couldn’t put it together. They have solid 6-8 high 4 and 5 star recruits who showed up tonight. Biggest concern is OL and DL.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
We get SEC TV money. We have the resources to hire competent, PROVEN assistant football coaches. But we don't do it. Something is wrong somewhere within the university. It's almost as if they are trying to lose on purpose.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
No matter who the RB is, they will not be successful with the blocking we saw tonight.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
We had NO reason whatsoever to believe we'd have a good team this year. There were so many question marks, not the least of which was the Loggains hire and starting Joyner at RB. Yet, here we were to start the season, having talked ourselves into thinking we might actually be good. Even as I sat here and watch what is a very, very, very, very bad football team, I know in my head we are looking down the barrel of a very bad season, but I find myself thinking "Who knows what'll happen if we can work out the kinks by the UGA game?"
"Everybody" wasn't saying we would be good this year, the people hyping the team were the ones on here and the FB pages, predicting 8-10 wins. What players did we have returning, other than Rattler, that we should have expected to be better than last year? RBs obviously are worse; the OL, well enough said and it all starts there. Who did we bring in that is SEC-ready that would vault us to a 10 win team? Beating Clemson once doesn't automatically put you in the playoffs the next year. I've watched from the sidelines as many of the posters on here and FB declared us ready for the big time, but look where we were when Beamer arrived, he had/has a long road ahead, and no idea if we will ever get there with him. Sadly, history tells us no. Beamer has remained positive, as he must, but he hasn't declared we were world beaters like the fans have; he overachieved the first 2 years but I believe reality is setting in after seeing that meltdown last night. We better right the ship quickly or Furman will be dancing at our 50 yard line next week.

Reactions: Bubba Fett

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
No idea why Tanner is still the AD, what has he done to deserve to keep his job? Not saying last night is Tanner's fault, not specifically, we are where we are, but hiring a different AD years ago is what was needed. He completely screwed up the Spurrier situation and it has been downhill ever since imo.

Reactions: TaxCock

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I am done thinking a strong finish to a year means anything other that that. IDK if it's the portal era or what but the term 'development' isn't what it used to be imo.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Recruiting quality linemen on both sides should be our # 1 priority, maybe it is, idk. But the problem is one of 3 things or a combination. (1) We have nobody capable of evaluating talent at the line position. (2) We have nobody capable of coaching linemen, or (3) We are just unable to convince enough quality linemen to come and play at USC, thus we bring on "projects". I suspect it is a combination of all 3.

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
"Everybody" wasn't saying we would be good this year, the people hyping the team were the ones on here and the FB pages, predicting 8-10 wins. What players did we have returning, other than Rattler, that we should have expected to be better than last year? RBs obviously are worse; the OL, well enough said and it all starts there. Who did we bring in that is SEC-ready that would vault us to a 10 win team? Beating Clemson once doesn't automatically put you in the playoffs the next year. I've watched from the sidelines as many of the posters on here and FB declared us ready for the big time, but look where we were when Beamer arrived, he had/has a long road ahead, and no idea if we will ever get there with him. Sadly, history tells us no. Beamer has remained positive, as he must, but he hasn't declared we were world beaters like the fans have; he overachieved the first 2 years but I believe reality is setting in after seeing that meltdown last night. We better right the ship quickly or Furman will be dancing at our 50 yard line next week.
Exactly! I remember after year three and 4 people were screaming for Spurriers head. It took time to get the offense and defensive lines right.
I'm not saying Shane is Spurrier but he needs time. The players we have just aren't very good right now and the people thinking we would get to 10 wins this year just don't understand football.
It's OK to look through garnet glasses as a fan but be prepared to be disappointed. There is a reason Vegas had us at 5.5 wins this year.

Sep 17, 2022
There’s a reason you’re on a “paid” board. I actually “paid” to go watch that travesty. I don’t care if it’s week 1 or week 12, that was embarrassing and pitiful. Go post that on the “paid” board

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Ooooh GIF

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Knowing the portal is what it is and many of the players coming out of it having experience, I just don't get how we can be this bad with more ways of get better than ever before.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Knowing the portal is what it is and many of the players coming out of it having experience, I just don't get how we can be this bad with more ways of get better than ever before.
Players in the portal aren't usually there because they felt they were getting too much playing time and too much praise from their previous teams and coaches. Most of them look around for a program that is worse than the one they are leaving where they think they can become an instant starter. You don't see any championship teams built on transfers.

Also; don't bring up Deion and Colorado. Beating a TCU team that has 3, 3!, returning starters isn't exactly proof that Deion has built a powerhouse program.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Players in the portal aren't usually there because they felt they were getting too much playing time and too much praise from their previous teams and coaches. Most of them look around for a program that is worse than the one they are leaving where they think they can become an instant starter. You don't see any championship teams built on transfers.

Also; don't bring up Deion and Colorado. Beating a TCU team that has 3, 3!, returning starters isn't exactly proof that Deion has built a powerhouse program.
I though that as well. But I'll tell you this, I have been shocked at the number of stories I see of portal guys making immediate impacts. A lot of those impact players coming from pretty good schools where they got a pretty good amount of playing time... and a lot of those transferring to pretty good schools. I did not expect to see that as much as I do.

NYC_Gamecock

Joined Jun 16, 2007
Feb 5, 2022
Honestly, even if our O-Line is competent, do you really think our running attack would be formidable with Joyner and McDowell carrying the ball? The former does not possess the required burst and elusiveness while the latter does not possess the ideal size and strength to break tackles. All in all, neither Joyner nor McDowell are suited to play RB at the Power 5 and SEC levels.

Reactions: Johnnysurf

mUSiC-man

Jan 20, 2022
I though that as well. But I'll tell you this, I have been shocked at the number of stories I see of portal guys making immediate impacts. A lot of those impact players coming from pretty good schools where they got a pretty good amount of playing time... and a lot of those transferring to pretty good schools. I did not expect to see that as much as I do.
FSU transfers that made an impact last night - Keon Coleman - Michigan State wr, Johnny Wilson wr Arizona State, Jaheim Bell, Jared Kearse, defensive end Albany, Jordan Travis QB Louisville.

Reactions: Blues man

cockyferg

Jan 25, 2022
Why would we pay money to talk about the team that we all watch for free? It doesn't matter what the insiders say, the product on the field is always the same.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Honestly, even if our O-Line is competent, do you really think our running attack would be formidable with Joyner and McDowell carrying the ball? The former does not possess the required burst and elusiveness while the latter does not possess the ideal size and strength to break tackles. All in all, neither Joyner nor McDowell are suited to play RB at the Power 5 and SEC levels.
They would be sufficient. If Joyner wasn’t getting hit in the backfield every handoff he would be serviceable. And with Ratt, Juice, and X that’s all we really need.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They would be sufficient. If Joyner wasn’t getting hit in the backfield every handoff he would be serviceable. And with Ratt, Juice, and X that’s all we really need.

Wells being limited when he was in the game and being out in the 2nd half was a killer. The D mostly held UNC in check in the 2nd half and even picked Maye off twice, we just didn't have anything outside of Rattler and Leggette.