Big Ten preseeds are out

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Here we go!!

Hopeful that Steen has a good showing in Consis. If there ever was a time it would be now!

RBY should cruise nicely.

No reason for Beau not to get to the Woods rematch in the final, but will need to keep his scoring pace up.

SVN / Murin QF is huge. I think SVN wins that rematch handily.

Haines / Robb potential final will be electric. Great benchmark for him overall.

Facundo / Hamiti will be a fun Semi (hopefully) and like Haines/Robb a really good benchmark for his podium aspirations

I'd love to see Edmond Ruth win his quarter and get Starocci. That would just be really cool. Can't believe Labs is still around, but not concerned for CStar overall.

Brooks should roll. Interested to see if Assad wins his quarter whether he shows up.

Dean will have some fun matches. Caffey/Warner quarter winner will be a good match, and Allred/Braunagel as well. Not confident in a win, but he can absolutely bring it home.

Kerk/Tony and Kerk/Parris are always personal favorites for me as well. I think Kerk rolls

jbeldingk

Oct 7, 2021
Hopefully Lewan stays at the 6 seed versus the 7. I love me some Mikey Carr but prefer a Haines/ Carr quarter after a matchup with a tough Gilcher. Lewan/ Brayton Lee in round 1 is just wild.

I like seeing John Martin Best at 14 rather than 13 as some projected. He beat Facundo last year (as did Caleb Fish whom Facundo also avoids per the pre-seeds, although Facundo avenged in uninspiring fashion this year).

Outside of the 4/5 matchups, RBY/ Teske and Brooks/ Soldano are fun.

LFG!

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Here we go!!

Hopeful that Steen has a good showing in Consis. If there ever was a time it would be now!

No reason for Beau not to get to the Woods rematch in the final, but will need to keep his scoring pace up.

Haines / Robb potential final will be electric. Great benchmark for him overall.

Facundo / Hamiti will be a fun Semi (hopefully) and like Haines/Robb a really good benchmark for his podium aspirations

I'd love to see Edmond Ruth win his quarter and get Starocci. That would just be really cool. Can't believe Labs is still around, but not concerned for CStar overall.

Brooks should roll. Interested to see if Assad wins his quarter whether he shows up.

Dean will have some fun matches. Caffey/Warner quarter winner will be a good match, and Allred/Braunagel as well. Not confident in a win, but he can absolutely bring it home.

Kerk/Tony and Kerk/Parris are always personal favorites for me as well. I think Kerk rolls
Good breakdown!

Reactions: cb1994

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Here we go!!

Facundo has no cake walk in quarters

Reactions: LB4097 and Spinpsu

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
SNV can beat Murin. He MUST be very smart during the match. No doubt in my mind. Murin beat SNV with his brain last match. He’s very experienced in big matches. Time, mat awareness, score, Etc.

Reactions: cb1994

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Interested to see if any changes are made. Gomez over yianni or amine over hamiti. Also does Gomez MFF out?

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Here's what I got with no bonus points and no advancement points for byes if everyone wrestles to seed:

PSU: 139.5
Iowa: 114.5
Ohio State: 88
Nebraska: 81
Northwestern: 71.5
Michigan: 62
Minnesota: 60.5
Wisconsin: 59
Illinois: 54.5
Michigan State: 41
Purdue: 31
Rutgers: 25.5
Indiana: 19.5
Maryland: 17.5

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Heinselman is out and everyone should be getting bumped up a seed. Steen would get Braxton Brown first round who he lost to 1-0.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Heinselman is out and everyone should be getting bumped up a seed. Steen would get Braxton Brown first round who he lost to 1-0.
Not sure everyone gets bumped up. Some do, but everyone? We'll see. Gonzales is 0-1 in B10 duals but has a winning record against all B10 opponents and is 17-8 overall this year

If Steen is the 10, his path to qualifying got harder even if the opener got easier. (And Brown might not be the desired opener -- DeAugustino is injured and had a bad outing at Last Chance Open.)

Also, B10 loses the 9th qualifier spot. Steen now has to finish top 8.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Not sure everyone gets bumped up. Some do, but everyone? We'll see. Gonzales is 0-1 in B10 duals but has a winning record against all B10 opponents and is 17-8 overall this year

If Steen is the 10, his path to qualifying got harder even if the opener got easier. (And Brown might not be the desired opener -- DeAugustino is injured and had a bad outing at Last Chance Open.)

Also, B10 loses the 9th qualifier spot. Steen now has to finish top 8.
Wasn’t sure his record when I posted this. Just assumed he’d be 14. And didn’t say easier for steen. Just that first match seems winnable. I’m not confident Steen can wrestle consistent enough to qualify not matter the situation.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Wasn’t sure his record when I posted this. Just assumed he’d be 14. And didn’t say easier for steen. Just that first match seems winnable. I’m not confident Steen can wrestle consistent enough to qualify not matter the situation.
It's hard to tell until the brackets are posted. There are legitimate arguments for seeding Gonzales 10, 12, or 14.

Steen could end up the 9 seed, if DeAugustino also withdraws.

If he's the 9 or 10 seed and loses his opener, then he gets Bye in Consi Round 1 -- but his next opponent (the one that matters most) is harder than if he's the 11.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
It's hard to tell until the brackets are posted. There are legitimate arguments for seeding Gonzales 10, 12, or 14.

If he's the 9 or 10 seed and loses his opener, then he gets Bye in Consi Round 1 -- but his next opponent (the one that matters most) is harder than if he's the 11.
Agreed. I'm at the point I'm hoping he gets the 11 and can beat an unhealthy DeAugustino (I question if he can). Think he can qualify if that's his path. Don't think he will any other way unfortunately.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Agreed. I'm at the point I'm hoping he gets the 11 and can beat an unhealthy DeAugustino (I question if he can). Think he can qualify if that's his path. Don't think he will any other way unfortunately.
If it helps, look at how DeAugustino did at Last Chance Open (filter on NW) 2 weeks ago:

Note, the Cooper Hilton he beat 5-1 is a soph at Wyoming Seminary.

pabison

Dec 11, 2021

What if Deaugustino shakes his hand and then MFFs?

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
What if Deaugustino shakes his hand and then MFFs?
Then Steen advances to the quarters against Cronin, likely loses there, then faces the 12/13 in consi Round 2. Win that and he's in.

I know you meant if Deaugustino doesn't wrestle, but to clarify: this is happening only if Deaugustino withdraws after the final brackets are drawn. (Depending on his injury, this is a distinct possibility -- NW's only other 125 didn't compete at all this year.)

DeAugustino is 5-6 this year -- he can't get an at large, must earn his way in. And his dad isn't his coach, so he won't forfeit his opener for a better draw in consis. Plus the consis path is easier if he wins the opener.