Bowl Games going forward

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Given the current landscape in Major College Football I don't think that Bowl Games should count towards a program's Win/Loss record. They have become exhibitions. Bowl games still have value in that they provide the opportunity for extra practices, however they're no longer meaningful in terms of determining the strength of a team that year because rarely do we actually see a team that resembles itself from the regular season.

Furthermore, I think that with the exception of the playoff contenders, the bowl games should have no bearing on the final rankings of each team.

We have entered into an age where the only thing that matters is the playoffs and the NCAA should acknowledge as much.

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021
L&B, that's an excellent idea. If the top 12 teams enter a playoff system, then your idea allows the 40 or so Bowls to invite whomever they wish for exhibition style games.

By not counting a win or a loss toward the season records of the Bowl teams, "opt outs" become more tolerable. Interim coaches and coordinators need not fear the pangs of defeat since the games are mere scrimmages, an idea some people have advocated for spring practices.

Seniors and early exits to the NFL can sit the Bowl game out without controversy or "gamesmanship" by HCs reluctant to tip starting lineups.
Let the younger players and walk-ons go at it against opponents in different jerseys.

Great idea, IMHO.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Given the current landscape in Major College Football I don't think that Bowl Games should count towards a program's Win/Loss record. They have become exhibitions. Bowl games still have value in that they provide the opportunity for extra practices, however they're no longer meaningful in terms of determining the strength of a team that year because rarely do we actually see a team that resembles itself from the regular season.

Furthermore, I think that with the exception of the playoff contenders, the bowl games should have no bearing on the final rankings of each team.

We have entered into an age where the only thing that matters is the playoffs and the NCAA should acknowledge as much.
What happens when players opt out of playoff games? I mean, if playing one bowl game has such injury risk that could cost millions in NFL dollars, then wouldn’t potentially playing four playoff games be a greater risk?

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
What happens when players opt out of playoff games? I mean, if playing one bowl game has such injury risk that could cost millions in NFL dollars, then wouldn’t potentially playing four playoff games be a greater risk?
🤔

OL

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021

Since the playoffs still have value, I think Opt Outs would be more of an exception and much less frequent. Were there any Opt Outs amongst the 4 playoff teams this year? I don't believe so. The NCAA Championship holds enough value to prevent Opt Outs.

Reactions: Bob78

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021

.....then why play the games at all? You can't expect players and coaches to prepare for a game that there is zero reason to play it. The Bowl $$$$ will evaporate quickly if your rules are implemented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mufasa94

troutrus

Oct 7, 2021
In the grand scheme of things, none of the games have any meaning beyond exhibition or entertainment for the fans.
Please remember that as college athletes, the players are first and foremost college students, and sports is merely an extracurricular activity.

PSU1989

Nov 6, 2021
Agree. I have said this for years (and in another thread). Bowl games did not count in the 60s (and maybe in to the early 70s). They were exhibitions. Based on the world of portal, opt outs and coaching changes I agree these games are generally meaningless except the extra practice time, which is valuable for younger players. But bowl games are now equivalent to the Blue-White game.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Agree. I have said this for years (and in another thread). Bowl games did not count in the 60s (and maybe in to the early 70s). They were exhibitions. Based on the world of portal, opt outs and coaching changes I agree these games are generally meaningless except the extra practice time, which is valuable for younger players. But bowl games are now equivalent to the Blue-White game.
Ok....let's not play them. I don't believe in doing anything that's meaningless.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
If they are meaningless (and I'm starting to agree with that), why should fans pay a lot of money to attend?? Or TV to televise it.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
If they are meaningless (and I'm starting to agree with that), why should fans pay a lot of money to attend?? Or TV to televise it.

I know this is all far fetched but I had a thought. What if the game was treated like a preview into the next season by taking the players who no longer have eligibility out of the game? Make it sort of a futures game?

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
The playoff next year will impact this as the first round will be played at higher seed home. For example, we would have to have played at Ohio State and the winner would then get #2 Washington at a bowl site. This impacts where a fan wants to spend their $$. If you play first round and keep advancing to the final game that would be 6 games. How may fans can afforded to do that?? Gee, maybe it’s not about fans anymore? It’s now become NFL lite but with opinion polls and media being more important than actual on the field play and wins and losses.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Agree. I have said this for years (and in another thread). Bowl games did not count in the 60s (and maybe in to the early 70s). They were exhibitions.
Please explain how they “did not count”? Records show the results of the games included in teams’ W-L records.
Based on the world of portal, opt outs and coaching changes I agree these games are generally meaningless except the extra practice time, which is valuable for younger players. But bowl games are now equivalent to the Blue-White game.
They still count on the record. How much importance they carry is determined by the members of a team and coaching staff. Unfortunately, our team and staff had a number of quitters on it.

Reactions: MacNit

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
The playoff next year will impact this as the first round will be played at higher seed home. For example, we would have to have played at Ohio State and the winner would then get #2 Washington at a bowl site. This impacts where a fan wants to spend their $$. If you play first round and keep advancing to the final game that would be 6 games. How may fans can afforded to do that?? Gee, maybe it’s not about fans anymore? It’s now become NFL lite but with opinion polls and media being more important than actual on the field play and wins and losses.
6 games? There are 4 games maximum under the new format if you don't have one of the byes and win it all. 12 teams (4 byes) > 8 teams (quarterfinal) > 4 teams (semifinal) > 2 teams (finals)

Reactions: MacNit and LB99

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
We attended the peach bowl and easily spent 1k. It will be my last time attending a bowl that is not in the playoff. I don’t have time or the money to waste on a game where a team is fielded that doesn’t resemble the one that I made a choice to go and watch.
My girls say their favorite part of the trip was seeing the whale shark at the aquarium which actually was pretty cool.

PSU1989

Nov 6, 2021
Please explain how they “did not count”? Records show the results of the games included in teams’ W-L records.

They still count on the record. How much importance they carry is determined by the members of a team and coaching staff. Unfortunately, our team and staff had a number of quitters on it.
Yes the games "counted" but the final AP and UPI polls used to determine the national champion were after the regular season ended, not after bowl season.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
6 games? There are 4 games maximum under the new format if you don't have one of the byes and win it all. 12 teams (4 byes) > 8 teams (quarterfinal) > 4 teams (semifinal) > 2 teams (finals)

The games you describe in the brackets will not be bowl games any longer, correct? there would be no longer a need for bowl selections from a playoff comm like the NY6.

will these continue to exist? Orange bowl just another game between #18 and #30 with opt outs

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
The games you describe in the brackets will not be bowl games any longer, correct? there would be no longer a need for bowl selections from a playoff comm like the NY6.

will these continue to exist? Orange bowl just another game between #18 and #30 with opt outs
Teams 5-12 will play at the higher seed in Round 1.

Bowls will host the quarterfinals and the semifinals.

2024 quarterfinals: Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl
2024 semifinals: Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl
2025 quarterfinals: Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl
2025 semifinals: Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Okay I took a sec to google how this 12 team playoff works out. Spec is correct, but this is a little easier to follow. They detail the example using this seasons final 12 teams. The NY 6 bowls are still in place moving forward ! Of course Atlanta , SEC country hosts the first championship :rolleyes: , then in the 2025 season it is in Miami.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021

So it IS 9-3 HA!

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021

Others already posted the answer but to add to that, the committee rankings is what will be used to seed the playoff teams so the stupidity that is the eye test remains.

Reactions: Catch1lion

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Yes the games "counted" but the final AP and UPI polls used to determine the national champion were after the regular season ended, not after bowl season.
Are you aware that isn’t correct for many seasons?

If you are, how can your description be appropriate with the inconsistencies between non-considered regular season games, considered bowls, and same year polls from the 50s through the early 70s?

PSU1989

Nov 6, 2021
Are you aware that isn’t correct for many seasons?

If you are, how can your description be appropriate with the inconsistencies between non-considered regular season games, considered bowls, and same year polls from the 50s through the early 70s?
Here is the verbiage on the history of the AP poll (with reference to UPI) from Wikipedia. I was aware of this because my parent's contemporaries often talked about the bowl games being more of a reward. Note that last two sentences at the bottom.

The AP college football poll's origins go back to the 1930s. The news media began running their own polls of sports writers to determine, by popular opinion, the best college football teams in the country. One of the earliest such polls was conducted by the AP in November 1934.[3] In 1935, AP sports editor Alan J. Gould declared a three-way tie for national champion in football between Minnesota, Princeton, and Southern Methodist.[4] Minnesota fans protested and a number of Gould's colleagues led by Charles "Cy" Sherman suggested he create a poll of sports editors instead of only using his own list.[5] The next year the weekly AP college football poll was born,[5][6] and has run continuously from 1936.[7]

Due to the long-standing historical ties between individual college football conferences and high-paying bowl games like the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl, the NCAA had not held a tournament or championship game to determine the national champion of what is now the highest division, NCAA Division I, Football Bowl Subdivision (the Division I, Football Championship Subdivision and lower divisions do hold championship tournaments). As a result, the public and the media began to acknowledge the leading vote-getter in the final AP poll as the national champion for that season.

While the AP poll currently lists the Top 25 teams in the nation, from 1936 to 1988, the wire service only ranked twenty teams, except from 1961 to 1967, when only ten teams were recognized. The AP expanded to the current 25 teams in 1989.[8]

The AP began conducting a preseason poll in 1950.[9][10]

At the end of the 1947 season, the AP released an unofficial post-bowl poll which differed from the regular season final poll.[11] Until the 1968 college football season, the final AP poll of the season was released following the end of the regular season, with the lone exception of the 1965 season. In 1964, Alabama was named the national champion in the final AP Poll following the completion of the regular season, but lost in the Orange Bowl to Texas, leaving Arkansas as the only undefeated, untied team after the Razorbacks defeated Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl. In 1965, the AP's decision to wait to crown its champion paid handsomely, as top-ranked Michigan State lost to UCLA in the Rose Bowl, number two Arkansas lost to LSU in the Cotton Bowl, and fourth-ranked Alabama defeated third-ranked Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, vaulting the Crimson Tide to the top of the AP's final poll (Michigan State was named national champion in the final UPI Coaches Poll, which did not conduct a post-bowl poll).

Beginning in 1968, the post bowl game poll became permanent and the AP championship reflected the bowl game results. The UPI did not follow suit with the coaches' poll until the 1974 season.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Here is the verbiage on the history of the AP poll (with reference to UPI) from Wikipedia. I was aware of this because my parent's contemporaries often talked about the bowl games being more of a reward.
Note your earlier post I responded to used “exhibition” and “did not count”descriptions.
Note that last two sentences at the bottom.
Note you are using Wikipedia as being a completely factual source. The copy and paste text even noted ‘65 as being a post bowl vote, thus leaving a period of years that leave the previously mentioned descriptions with a conflict.

Do all the years up to ‘64 fall under your descriptions, then in ‘65 they instantly count, and again in ‘66 fall back to your descriptions? But, in ‘68 suddenly count again? But wait, the coaches had a different voting method, so did these games from ‘68-‘74 have a split personality?
…Until the 1968 college football season, the final AP poll of the season was released following the end of the regular season
Remember when I wrote this wasn’t correct and inquired if you were aware? I take this reply as meaning you were unaware.

During multiple seasons, the AP held their last poll before the regular season had even been completed.

The most extreme example was in ‘50, when each of the top 3 ranked teams still had a regular season game to be played. These games included Oklahoma/Okie State, Army/Navy, and Texas/LSU. Were these games exhibitions? To add to the weirdness, each of these teams lost a game after the last poll (one was in regular season).

In ‘49, top ranked ND still had their regular season game to play against USC after the AP decided to stop holding a vote. Was that an exhibition?

Those aren’t the only years, just the most extreme examples. In short, just because the media decided to not hold any more votes after some random varying date doesn’t mean that a game played after that date was an exhibition or did not count.

PSU1989

Nov 6, 2021
Note your earlier post I responded to used “exhibition” and “did not count”descriptions.

Note you are using Wikipedia as being a completely factual source. The copy and paste text even noted ‘65 as being a post bowl vote, thus leaving a period of years that leave the previously mentioned descriptions with a conflict.

Do all the years up to ‘64 fall under your descriptions, then in ‘65 they instantly count, and again in ‘66 fall back to your descriptions? But, in ‘68 suddenly count again? But wait, the coaches had a different voting method, so did these games from ‘68-‘74 have a split personality?

Remember when I wrote this wasn’t correct and inquired if you were aware? I take this reply as meaning you were unaware.

During multiple seasons, the AP held their last poll before the regular season had even been completed.

The most extreme example was in ‘50, when each of the top 3 ranked teams still had a regular season game to be played. These games included Oklahoma/Okie State, Army/Navy, and Texas/LSU. Were these games exhibitions? To add to the weirdness, each of these teams lost a game after the last poll (one was in regular season).

In ‘49, top ranked ND still had their regular season game to play against USC after the AP decided to stop holding a vote. Was that an exhibition?

Those aren’t the only years, just the most extreme examples. In short, just because the media decided to not hold any more votes after some random varying date doesn’t mean that a game played after that date was an exhibition or did not count.
Dude, you really have a temper issue. Chill……

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
Dude, you really have a temper issue. Chill……
Haha. It’s January, of course I’m chilled. I do understand, it’s easier for you to make an accusation than admit your ignorance.

I suggest using more than Wikipedia to support childhood memories.