Buster Posey retiring today. HOF worthy?

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
Giants catcher Buster Posey is announcing his retirement today, and it is receiving big coverage here in the Bay Area. He is retiring early, still at or near the top of his game, because he apparently wants to spend more time as a full time dad of four and avoid further debilitating injuries as a catcher. He's leaving after 12 seasons (really 11 seasons, since he elected to sit out the 2020 season), but likely has all the money he will ever need (he owns one of the largest and toniest homes here in Lafayette). So I can understand his reasoning.

What I'm wondering is if he is Hall of Fame worthy. Bay Area sports columnists generally take the position that he is, but I am a bit skeptical, and thought I would solicit the input of the AKB.

Some of Posey's career statistics:

Seasons: 12
Games Played: 1,371
Hits: 1,500
Home Runs: 158
RBI: 729
Batting Average: .302
Slugging Percentage: .460

I think the above numbers, standing alone, would without question leave him out of the Hall of Fame. But he also has an MVP, seven (7) All-Star appearances, a couple of Silver Slugger awards, and three (3) World Series rings. And he played catcher, pretty well, for his entire career. I still lean "no," being of the view that Cooperstown should be reserved only for the truly elite, but I would acknowledge that Posey certainly has an argument.

Your thoughts?

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Future catchers should idolize the guy. For decades it was OK for a runner to steamroll a catcher while trying to score. Thanks to Posey getting injured, MLB decided to eliminate the collision at the plate. I doubt the rule change would have happened if it was some nameless journeyman.

Hall of Fame?? I'd say no. The +.300 average is nice but the other numbers don't really pop out at you. I'd say at least 2000 hits would get someone into the conversation.

Reactions: BobPSU92
Oct 12, 2021
Giants catcher Buster Posey is announcing his retirement today, and it is receiving big coverage here in the Bay Area. He is retiring early, still at or near the top of his game, because he apparently wants to spend more time as a full time dad of four and avoid further debilitating injuries as a catcher. He's leaving after 12 seasons (really 11 seasons, since he elected to sit out the 2020 season), but likely has all the money he will ever need (he owns one of the largest and toniest homes here in Lafayette). So I can understand his reasoning.

What I'm wondering is if he is Hall of Fame worthy. Bay Area sports columnists generally take the position that he is, but I am a bit skeptical, and thought I would solicit the input of the AKB.

I think the above numbers, standing alone, would without question leave him out of the Hall of Fame. But he also has an MVP, seven (7) All-Star appearances, a couple of Silver Slugger awards, and three (3) World Series rings. And he played catcher, pretty well, for his entire career. I still lean "no," being of the view that Cooperstown should be reserved only for the truly elite, but I would acknowledge that Posey certainly has an argument.

Your thoughts?
Yes. He's HOF worthy.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
In my opinion, no.

If catchers don't want to get steamrolled, then they should not block the plate.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
I say no but I am old school. He needs better numbers or at least a period of dominance. There are a bunch of HOF guys I disagree with,
I where you are for the most part. I do think the batting title is a big plus for a catcher. There were probably times in his career when he was considered the best catcher in the game, but I still think he didn't do quite enough.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021

Your thoughts?
No and it’s not even close IMO. Lately, the Hall seems to be becoming the Hall of the very good instead of the truly great. Also too political as evidenced by Reinsdorf and LaRussa greasing the skids on the old timers committee to get Baines in the Hall.

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
Posey probably WAS the best catcher in baseball for most of his career. Pudge had retired, and Yadi Molina was perhaps his biggest competition. But he made 7 All-Star teams in the 11 seasons that he played, and he won an MVP. Nevertheless, he wasn't dominant in the way that Koufax was, so it is not as easy to disregard his career numbers being short of what one might expect from a Hall of Famer..

I'm no Yankee fan, but if Posey gets voted in, how can Donnie Baseball be left out?.

Still in State Colllege

Oct 12, 2021
Posey probably WAS the best catcher in baseball for most of his career. Pudge had retired, and Yadi Molina was perhaps his biggest competition. But he made 7 All-Star teams in the 11 seasons that he played, and he won an MVP. Nevertheless, he wasn't dominant in the way that Koufax was, so it is not as easy to disregard his career numbers being short of what one might expect from a Hall of Famer..

I'm no Yankee fan, but if Posey gets voted in, how can Donnie Baseball be left out?.
I am a Cobra guy and that one always gets me as well.

2712 hits, 339 HR's, 1493 RBI, 3 gold gloves, 2 batting titles and an MVP.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
So, how do you compare Posey? To other HOF catchers? Or to other catchers of his era? Or other players of his era? If the first, he should be in I think. There are 16 catchers in the HOF - his batting average would put him above all but five of them. His 1,500 hits is low, but still better than Campanella, Bresnahan, and Schalk (Campanella has fewer than 1,200). Likewise his RBI, SLG, and HRs put him well within the range of those already in the HOF. So, what keeps him out? Who were/are his peers? Piazza and Rodriguez are the two most recent inductees, but they played for 16 and 20 seasons respectively. He has an MVP, three rings, and was an All-Star more often than not.

Nohow

Oct 25, 2021
There are 14 catchers in already. He is 16th in catcher career WAR. Several catchers not in have higher WAR and better stats, including Maurer, Torre, Schang, Munson, and Tenace. He is basically on the margins. Could go either way, a hard decision.

Reactions: LionJim

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
There are 14 catchers in already. He is 16th in catcher career WAR. Several catchers not in have higher WAR and better stats, including Maurer, Torre, Schang, Munson, and Tenace. He is basically on the margins. Could go either way, a hard decision.

This list says 16 - which is it?

91Joe95

Oct 6, 2021

Your thoughts?

Yes. My work is done here.

Reactions: Midnighter

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Based on those numbers he probably doesn't belong compared to others but because voting is by so many baseball writers and he is extremely well liked with multiple championships he will get in.

Reactions: LionJim and 91Joe95

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
While I’ll agree his numbers aren’t typical of a HOF player, there is something to be said for being the best position player on a 3-time WS winning team.

Someone from those teams has to get rewarded because that’s the point of playing the games.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
NO. The guy is, and has always been, a primadonnal pryck.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I would have never thought he had a higher WAR than Yadi. To me, Yadi was the best of this time and is a lock. Posey will be interesting, not a first year guy but I suspect he will get a look and over time it very well might happen. But not initially would be my guess.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I think, even for catchers, 2000 hits and 250 HRs has to be the minimum. Buster is like Nomar... he was tracking to HoF but his body just fell apart 3-5 years too soon.

Yeah, I'm in this boat. I like him, but there was a major drop off the past 4-5 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in though. He feels like a true bubble guy to me. Someone that may take a few years and then they'll let him in. Those three WS titles could be the difference. As many of you said, it's a lower bar nowadays.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

Your thoughts?
No

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Yeah, I'm in this boat. I like him, but there was a major drop off the past 4-5 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in though. He feels like a true bubble guy to me. Someone that may take a few years and then they'll let him in. Those three WS titles could be the difference. As many of you said, it's a lower bar nowadays.
My sister, brother in law and their two kids live in the same town as Buster and are Giants season ticket holders. When I told her he was bubble at best she went bananas. If he's in then so is Pedoria.

Oct 6, 2021
There are catchers in without those numbers.
I was trying to look up and i really couldn't find catchers with similar numbers in the HoF since the 50s, but I admit it was not a thorough research. But if you look at the numbers of Fisk, Rodriguez, Carter, and Simmons... all of them have numbers far better than Posey

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I was trying to look up and i really couldn't find catchers with similar numbers in the HoF since the 50s, but I admit it was not a thorough research. But if you look at the numbers of Fisk, Rodriguez, Carter, and Simmons... all of them have numbers far better than Posey

Check my earlier post - it has all the numbers of all the catchers (16 of them) in the HOF. Posey’s aren’t elite, but he’s within the range of pretty much every category of everyone already in. His BA would be Top 6.

Oct 6, 2021
Check my earlier post - it has all the numbers of all the catchers (16 of them) in the HOF. Posey’s aren’t elite, but he’s within the range of pretty much every category of everyone already in. His BA would be Top 6.
I missed that article you pinned... good stuff. For me, I just can't get past the hits number. If you give credit to batting average then you really need to be 2000+ hits. Which goes back to my previous thought that he was really 3-4 years short of a full HoF career. However, that being said, I would not be surprised if he does get in given the overwhelming amount of respect he has build over the years from all members of the baseball world. Guy really was the last of the rock solid catchers.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I missed that article you pinned... good stuff. For me, I just can't get past the hits number. If you give credit to batting average then you really need to be 2000+ hits. Which goes back to my previous thought that he was really 3-4 years short of a full HoF career. However, that being said, I would not be surprised if he does get in given the overwhelming amount of respect he has build over the years from all members of the baseball world. Guy really was the last of the rock solid catchers.

If 2,000 hits is the standard, 9 of the 16 catchers in the HOF wouldn’t be in.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
He's no Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk or Mike Piazza for that matter. But is he good enough, I don't know? Having 158 HR and 729 RBI really hurt him.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
He's no Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk or Mike Piazza for that matter. But is he good enough, I don't know? Having 158 HR and 729 RBI really hurt him.

Piazza has a 20 year career with few injuries and puts up ridiculous offensive numbers at the toughest, most physical position in the sport after a magical physical transformation allows him to slug like Mark McGuire…hmmmm….

Reactions: psu31trap

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021

Your thoughts?
Maybe not first ballot, but after 3-5 years he is in the HOF. Definitely.

Reactions: LionJim