BUY/SELL: Mainieri/USC back to CWS before MSU/Lemonis

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'll say State/Lemonis make it back first because
  • State has been to Omaha four times since South Carolina made it.
  • Lemonis has been to Omaha twice since Mainieri made it.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Manieri has recruited and developed good teams. He is a bit up there in age, though.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
God help us if Manieri’s tenure doesn’t outlast Mid’s

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I know we're all crapping on Lemonis right now, but this feels like an easy sell. I think South Carolina kind of had their moment in baseball and I don't think they're going to be back any time soon. Manieri really dropped out of LSU before NIL and direct pay-to-play was even on the radar.

Now... there's always the possibility one team gets a good Super Regional draw, but that's baseball.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I know we're all crapping on Lemonis right now, but this feels like an easy sell. I think South Carolina kind of had their moment in baseball and I don't think they're going to be back any time soon. Manieri really dropped out of LSU before NIL and direct pay-to-play was even on the radar.

Now... there's always the possibility one team gets a good Super Regional draw, but that's baseball.
Huh? South Carolina has 11 CWS appearances to our 12 and 2 titles to our 1. They’re basically us.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Huh? South Carolina has 11 CWS appearances to our 12 and 2 titles to our 1. They’re basically us.
You're not wrong, but I guess what I'm looking at it a program that had an amazing run from 2000 to 2012 and never really got it together since then. At the start of that run, they hired a 39 year old Ray Tanner, not a 66 year old Paul Manieri. I just don't think he's going to get the fanbase excited.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
You might be right but if I were a betting man, I wouldn’t wager.

The only winning move is not to play. ($1)
“Greetings, Professor Falken….Would you like to play a game?”

war games apocalypse GIF

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I’ll take MSU to return before South Carolina. Whether Lemonis is part of the equation, who knows.

Reactions: Dawgg

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
The only State coach with a national title is underrated by this board.
That’s because you are having to judge the body of work with players he didn’t inherit. If you threw those players into the mix, then he would probably just be “rated” at that point. We’ve had the two years of excellence, the two years of atrocity, and now a year of being good (and yes that’s being said with a grain of salt or maybe the whole box). I just don’t think he’ll reach the pinnacle again. I guess I’m just thankful that I was alive to see Mississippi State win a National title in a team sport.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
That’s because you are having to judge the body of work with players he didn’t inherit. If you threw those players into the mix, then he would probably just be “rated” at that point. We’ve had the two years of excellence, the two years of atrocity, and now a year of being good (and yes that’s being said with a grain of salt or maybe the whole box). I just don’t think he’ll reach the pinnacle again. I guess I’m just thankful that I was alive to see Mississippi State win a National title in a team sport.
Mythology. He won a national title over 1000 days into the job.

Also, no matter how good of a coach he is or isn’t, 2021 might be his last national title. His successor might never win one. It might be the only national title you live to see.

Reactions: Dawgg

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
….in ANY sport at MSU.
You very well may be spot on with that assessment. Watching this transformation of college sports from amateurism to professionalism is quite a thing to take in. Can Mississippi State put themselves in a position to compete for championships at the professional level across all sports? It just seems like quite a tall task.