Cael's contract

derks

Nov 1, 2021
Has anyone heard anything about Cael's discussions with the new AD concerning his contract?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Has anyone heard anything about Cael's discussions with the new AD concerning his contract?

I doubt there will be any news about this until it's accomplished. Historically, PSU athletics has always handled personnel matters privately. In isolated instances (mainly involving FB or BB), some parts of the process may leak out, but they are the exception. On the other side of the equation, CS is also very private, both about his private life and about his program.

Pretty much nothing but speculation has appeared about what took place between AD Barbour and CS. I doubt that the new AD (Kraft), will let slip anything on a public basis about the contract situation until the process is completed.

Reactions: Newtnugget and Tgar

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I doubt there will be any news about this until it's accomplished. Historically, PSU athletics has always handled personnel matters privately. In isolated instances (mainly involving FB or BB), some parts of the process may leak out, but they are the exception. On the other side of the equation, CS is also very private, both about his private life and about his program.

Pretty much nothing but speculation has appeared about what took place between AD Barbour and CS. I doubt that the new AD (Kraft), will let slip anything on a public basis about the contract situation until the process is completed.
To add to this: Under every previous regime, they've only released contract info for the head football coach plus the men's basketball coach. Could be wrong but don't believe they ever did that for WBB.

I'm working to find out where things stand here but haven't heard much rumors or otherwise recently.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Deserves every penny and so does his staff deserve a raise. We are very lucky to have Cael Sanderson as our HC. He’s the best coach by far in any sport in the country especially when it comes to doing things the right way every day. What’s really crazy is he’s even a better human being. Can’t wait until he breaks Gables record for National Championships which will happen.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Besides his many many accomplishments for the college team, the Nittany Lion club wrestlers have done quite well in international events including world championships and Olympics! Hopefully Cael will be coach at PSU until he decides he wants to retire-hopefully not until a few decades even if his on the mat wrestling (I do not know much he still does) has to stop. I posed this question on other board with no response-curious what facilities outside of the practice one they have Cael would want or is he happy with Rec Hall and annual match in the bigger arena at PSU! Give Cael what he wants! Also, sounds like some wrestlers are getting decent NIl deals which is great as college wrestlers obviously do not get the million dollar contracts that great football and baskeball players get after leaving PSU! Plus of course many of PSU wrestlers do not get 100% scholarships unlike football and basketball players,

Wrestler2u

Oct 8, 2021
I’m not sure what the compensation for Cael is from Penn State but I’m sure it is more than fair. Also, we have the absolute best assistant coaches who could go anywhere in the country and succeed. But yet they stay with us. I’m sure the deal for Cael is a complete package which includes the assistants and NLWC. This is where Cael wanted to come and where he wants to stay.

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
I can't imagine a better program, better team results, better team member behavior, better public relations and better ambassadorship for the University than what Coach Cael Sanderson has provided. This PSU Wrestling Program is the template for all others to be measured against. While we may never know, I hope that his compensation package reflects the many successes and accolades that he has brought to the University. Without doubt, Coach Sanderson is doing his best. It is a rare intersection in life when doing your best and being the best meet. We should all inhale that rarefied air because we are experiencing what is perhaps a never-to-occur-again event.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Serious statement. If your an elite wrestler meaning best in the country. It’s a no brain decision NOT to wrestle for Cael Sanderson. Other elite programs know this as well but would never say it in public or to an elite recruit. Simply the truth.

Reactions: headlock

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Why would it? If it follows standard protocol, the NLWC is paying Penn State for the use of the facilities.
So that’s my question. How is NLWC funded? Who pays the staff and wrestlers? My only guess is donors. If so, that’s a hefty chunk of change to pay for this elite staff and wrestlers and operations every year. My point being, Im assuming Cael’s contract only covers his Penn State coaching responsibilities, and I assume he earns another nice chunk of change for leading NLWC. @Wrestler2u suggested that his contract would cover both responsibilities and that is my question. The fact that it’s called Nittany Lion suggests an affiliation with the university. Does the university allow NLWC to use its mark and facilities, or does it charge them? Thanks for your pleasant response to help me understand something I’m unfamiliar with.

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
https://www.nittanylionwrestlingclub.com/about-us

The Nittany Lion Wrestling Club (NLWC) is a tax-exempt, charitable, educational organization [IRS code Sec 501 (c) (3)] with the purpose of educating about and promoting amateur wrestling. .....

The NLWC is supported by the many, many generous individuals and businesses who donate to the Club through the annual membership/sponsorship campaign, the annual golf tournament, and other fund-raising efforts.

Given that USA Wrestling is in charge of selecting RTCs, it's possible that they also provide some funding.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

Thanks for the link to the Tax Filing info. That goes a long way in explaining to those that think the NLWC is paying out $8 million in slush fund money each year. Looks like they spent roughly $850,000 in salaries and wages in 2020 and there are fifteen wrestlers and two coaches listed, which works out to around $50,000 per person.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
So that’s my question. How is NLWC funded? Who pays the staff and wrestlers? My only guess is donors. If so, that’s a hefty chunk of change to pay for this elite staff and wrestlers and operations every year. My point being, Im assuming Cael’s contract only covers his Penn State coaching responsibilities, and I assume he earns another nice chunk of change for leading NLWC. @Wrestler2u suggested that his contract would cover both responsibilities and that is my question. The fact that it’s called Nittany Lion suggests an affiliation with the university. Does the university allow NLWC to use its mark and facilities, or does it charge them? Thanks for your pleasant response to help me understand something I’m unfamiliar with.
The NLWC recently had a new logo designed which is owned by PSU but the NLWC can use without paying fees. The old (current PSU logo) made sales very complicated and the NLWC had to pay for it's use.

Here's the new NLWC image.

1657587912320.png

Latest posts