CFP Rankings, 11/29

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
How the actual eff does Tennessee get smoked by USCe, taken to OT by sPITT and lose their starting QB for the season yet still outrank PSU? I mean I get they beat #6 and #11 but that USCe loss is glaring.
My guess is the committee values good wins over good losses. Tennessee beat two ranked teams. Penn State beat no ranked teams. 🤷‍♂️

harjeff

Oct 27, 2021
Heard an interesting comment from Herbie last night..The fact that tOSU was in the Rose Bowl last year some things may be in play to swap PSU into the Rose regardless if tOSU is in playoffs or not and tOSU may end up in the Orange or Cotton. That woudl be awesome if PSU can get the Rose. Herbie is usually plugged into these things and its the first I've heard this take

Reactions: WSTLion87 and PSU73

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
So coming back to this....I watched last night as they listed each team and the talking heads....talked about each team.

PSU comes up, at 10-2, and the talking heads talked about....Ohio State and Michigan.....not one thing to say about PSU except that both played OSU and Michigan....not even - "hey, there were unrakned and here they are at 8....."

It's like those guys read these boards...

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
So coming back to this....I watched last night as they listed each team and the talking heads....talked about each team.

PSU comes up, at 10-2, and the talking heads talked about....Ohio State and Michigan.....not one thing to say about PSU except that both played OSU and Michigan....not even - "hey, there were unrakned and here they are at 8....."

It's like those guys read these boards...
Yeah, I get it, but this team was so obliterated by Michigan, and by Ohio State in the 4th quarter, that it appears they would have no business even sniffing the top 6 or so....

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, I get it, but this team was so obliterated by Michigan, and by Ohio State in the 4th quarter, that it appears they would have no business even sniffing the top 6 or so....
That's not the point.

They simply did not mention Penn State when they were listing Penn State. Every other team was mentioned during the time their logo came up.

Reactions: BrucePa

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
My guess is the committee values good wins over good losses. Tennessee beat two ranked teams. Penn State beat no ranked teams. 🤷‍♂️
And Tennessee also lost - huge - to an unranked team (at that time).

So if PSU had defeated either Michigan or Ohio State and lost to....Maryland....

Last edited:
Reactions: BrucePa

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
The best thing is that OSU is #5. For two reasons. If it stays that way, OSU is first out 😂 If either TCU or USC loses, it should (In theory) move OSU into the playoff and us to the Rose.

Shep

Oct 29, 2021
That's not the point.

They simply did not mention Penn State when they were listing Penn State. Every other team was mentioned during the time their logo came up.
ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney's primary brand is children entertainment. In fact, take the Disney training course (which I did thru work) and it's all about safety of kids first, with a strong second on the brand.

Where am I going with this: the Sandusky scandal literally derailed any Penn State fandom from Disney employees. Watch the crawls on ESPN sometime--Penn State negative news is always scrolled. Go to the ESPN football recruiting pages--Penn State consistently downplayed. Go the the football headlines at ESPN.com--you will be surprised by the negativity.

Do you remember the Rose Bowl against USC? Herbie apologized to the viewers for praising the penn state players that day if you can recall.

Finally, there are a ton of Syracuse, Northwestern, Michigan, and Notre Dame alumni in the sports department at ESPN? They all loved to pile on the Paterno/Penn State story. Amazing how Notre Dame never was associated with Catholic Priest abuse issues.

Paranoia about treatment of Penn State from ESPN is "real, and its sensational"....🤣

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney's primary brand is children entertainment. In fact, take the Disney training course (which I did thru work) and it's all about safety of kids first, with a strong second on the brand.

Where am I going with this: the Sandusky scandal literally derailed any Penn State fandom from Disney employees. Watch the crawls on ESPN sometime--Penn State negative news is always scrolled. Go to the ESPN football recruiting pages--Penn State consistently downplayed. Go the the football headlines at ESPN.com--you will be surprised by the negativity.

Do you remember the Rose Bowl against USC? Herbie apologized to the viewers for praising the penn state players that day if you can recall.

Finally, there are a ton of Syracuse, Northwestern, Michigan, and Notre Dame alumni in the sports department at ESPN? They all loved to pile on the Paterno/Penn State story. Amazing how Notre Dame never was associated with Catholic Priest abuse issues.

Paranoia about treatment of Penn State from ESPN is "real, and its sensational"....🤣
Do Michigan State (Larry Nasser) or Ohio State (Jim Jordan) get the same treatment?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

It’s unfortunate that Penn State is the only school to endanger children, even though Penn State didn’t.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Question: What would you prefer, Michigan losing big to Purdue, gets knocked out of the playoffs and goes to the Rose Bowl. Or Penn State to the Rose Bowl. I wouldn't mind the former at all.

Reactions: Roar More

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

I think it's more that the B1G is dropping the ABC/ESPN channels next year and they are butt hurt and dont want to give any exposure they don't need to. Next year expect to see less and probably no College Gameday broadcasts at B1G stadiums.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Question: What would you prefer, Michigan losing big to Purdue, gets knocked out of the playoffs and goes to the Rose Bowl. Or Penn State to the Rose Bowl. I wouldn't mind the former at all.
Any day Michigan loses is a good day.

- Ice Cube

Ice Cube Smoking GIF

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021

Michigan isn't getting kicked out of the playoff if they lose to Purdue.

Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts