Ciao, Bonjour, Shabbat Shalom.

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
Still feeling Jet Lag powered thru some tasks today. Ready to share part of an amazing time. Flight was awesome, watched American Fiction Fantastic Flick. We land in Rome in the morning, no issue with bags, taxi drive to the hotel. The ride just floored me while I was staring out the window into the history we were taught and studied thru books or media. It was staring right back at me. Made a permanent impression on my life.

Room ready at the hotel around 10:30am and Mrs. Potter's right to sleep. I change gear, check email and right out to explore and conquer as much as I can of Rome that would make Julius Ceasar envious. Adjacent to our hotel are the Villa Borghese Gardens, Villas and Park. It was mid 50's a light rain and I strolled for at least an hour thru that park with the biggest smile on my face, Umbrella in hand walking in the same manner as Alain "Frog One" Charnier from the French Connection.

Fell in love with the city right then and there. Heading Back home stopped for a glass of wine and prosciutto and fresh bread and mozzarella at restaurant/cafe called La Bruschetta. If Norman Rockwell was Italian he would have painted a scene from this place. That became my home base for the next four days. For film fans it is one block down the street from Harry's Bar, informed that It was famous for the movie La Dolce Vita, by Federico Fellini an Italian masterpiece in Cinema, I was told. Nodded but didn't have a clue.

Back to the Hotel, wake my wife out of more beauty sleep and off to do some sightseeing and shopping. Fortunate for me, her favorite stores were right at the courtyard / piazza for the Spanish Steps. I had my book on Rome's history sat down got lost in thought. First thought that came to mind was the Grateful Dead band covering Bob Dylans's song "When I paint my Masterpiece". I sang that out loud and in my head for at least a day.

We marveled at the Steps and Architecture thru out the streets and made our way to Trevi Fountain. Blew her mind away. One concession I made for this trip is I wouldn't complain ever about taking pictures. I lived up to my end. We took more photos than spy satellites for Global Powers. A-lot leave it at that.

Dinner at La Bruschetta, wine, gnocchi, fresh bread with Olive Oil, Cutlets and Stuffed Zucchini Flower with anchovies and more Wine. Finished off with espresso and something sweet. Walked back to the hotel both coated in the feelings of love and thankfulness for having the opportunity to share this experience. You can't deny the romance that city injects into your soul when you are with someone that you have deep love and admiration for. We were excited for the next day. Up to the room for Potter time then bed.

Shabbat Shalom

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Still feeling Jet Lag powered thru some tasks today. Ready to share part of an amazing time. Flight was awesome, watched American Fiction Fantastic Flick. We land in Rome in the morning, no issue with bags, taxi drive to the hotel. The ride just floored me while I was staring out the window into the history we were taught and studied thru books or media. It was staring right back at me. Made a permanent impression on my life.

Room ready at the hotel around 10:30am and Mrs. Potter's right to sleep. I change gear, check email and right out to explore and conquer as much as I can of Rome that would make Julius Ceasar envious. Adjacent to our hotel are the Villa Borghese Gardens, Villas and Park. It was mid 50's a light rain and I strolled for at least an hour thru that park with the biggest smile on my face, Umbrella in hand walking in the same manner as Alain "Frog One" Charnier from the French Connection.

Fell in love with the city right then and there. Heading Back home stopped for a glass of wine and prosciutto and fresh bread and mozzarella at restaurant/cafe called La Bruschetta. If Norman Rockwell was Italian he would have painted a scene from this place. That became my home base for the next four days. For film fans it is one block down the street from Harry's Bar, informed that It was famous for the movie La Dolce Vita, by Federico Fellini an Italian masterpiece in Cinema, I was told. Nodded but didn't have a clue.

Back to the Hotel, wake my wife out of more beauty sleep and off to do some sightseeing and shopping. Fortunate for me, her favorite stores were right at the courtyard / piazza for the Spanish Steps. I had my book on Rome's history sat down got lost in thought. First thought that came to mind was the Grateful Dead band covering Bob Dylans's song "When I paint my Masterpiece". I sang that out loud and in my head for at least a day.

We marveled at the Steps and Architecture thru out the streets and made our way to Trevi Fountain. Blew her mind away. One concession I made for this trip is I wouldn't complain ever about taking pictures. I lived up to my end. We took more photos than spy satellites for Global Powers. A-lot leave it at that.

Dinner at La Bruschetta, wine, gnocchi, fresh bread with Olive Oil, Cutlets and Stuffed Zucchini Flower with anchovies and more Wine. Finished off with espresso and something sweet. Walked back to the hotel both coated in the feelings of love and thankfulness for having the opportunity to share this experience. You can't deny the romance that city injects into your soul when you are with someone that you have deep love and admiration for. We were excited for the next day. Up to the room for Potter time then bed.

Shabbat Shalom

Wonderful - thanks for sharing! Sounds like you squeezed every ounce of the time you had. I feel like this in Paris - every time I visit.

french reaction gif GIF

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Loved Rome and just wandering around discovering things....the food is absolutely amazing!!

Leo Ridens

Oct 12, 2021

Shabbat Shalom
The art in Villa Borghese is spectacular: Bernini, Caravaggio,, etc. Guided tour is not cheap but worth it if you have time; so many sites to see in Rome. You are very close to the Cornaro Chapel at the Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria. The Bernini sculpture depicts Teresa of Ávila, a Spanish Carmelite nun and saint, in a moment of religious ecstasy, which looks suspiciously like an orgasm. The depicted onlookers look like they know what is going on with her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021

Shabbat Shalom
No beer? What a wasted trip!

Leo Ridens

Oct 12, 2021

Shabbat Shalom

Shabbat Shalom
You are also near the crypt of the Capuchin Friars. Do you like artistic arrangements of human skulls and skeletons?

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Room ready at the hotel around 10:30am and Mrs. Potter's right to sleep.
Pro tip to help the jet lag. Always power through and stay awake on the day that you land, going to bed at a normal time for the time zone you are in. Sleeping off schedule on day 1 will come back to haunt you for the next couple of days in my experience, and only prolong the jet lag. Too late now, maybe on your next trip. ;)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Pro tip to help the jet lag. Always power through and stay awake on the day that you land, going to bed at a normal time for the time zone you are in. Sleeping off schedule on day 1 will come back to haunt you for the next couple of days in my experience, and only prolong the jet lag. Too late now, maybe on your next trip. ;)
100%.

Reactions: BedfordNJTX

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
What a wonderful OP! Thanks for that, Mr. Potter. Your affection for the City and its history come straight through, as does your general enthusiasm. I hope you continue to have a great time, and submit more posts.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
You are so correct. Last summer we traveled to Switzerland for several days of hiking. We landed in Zurich and took the train to Interlaken. By the time we got there we both needed a shower to wash the travel stink off ( the walk from the train station alone to the Grand Hotel was several blocks with luggage and temperature was in the high 80s )

As always happens, our room was not ready. We resorted to our usual game plan of taking up lots of space in the lobby while looking grubby. You could sense in the office the manager was saying to the staff get these two out of our lobby, find them a room pronto. We got our room, got cleaned up and headed down to the Spa which was truly reviving. Never give in to the urge of you can. Sometimes it’s inevitable but you have to try.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion