Comparing Spurrier and Beamers records

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
Before everyone jumps off a bridge, it's important to note, that if we finish 6-6 this year Spurrier and Beamer will have the same exact record for their first 3 years.
I'm not saying that Shane will be as successful as Spurrier, but I'm saying it took Spurrier 6 years before we ended the season ranked we should give Shane time to build this the right way.
JMO

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I had this thought today. Spurrier was just ok here for the first 5 or 6 years, but he mixed in some big wins over UGA, UT and UF to give hope that progress was being made. Beamer did that last year with UF and Clemson.

That said, after our performance last night, it's dadgum hard to see where 6 wins come from. We have the OL of a 3-4 win team.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Spurrier was Spurrier though. He had won a ton of SEC Championships and a National Title. He won the ACC at Duke. This is Beamer’s first Head Coaching job. So while I’m not giving up on Beamer…comparing his record to Spurrier means nothing to me.

In fact, you could easily compare his record to Muschamp as they are similar as well. It means nothing. What we did 2 years ago means nothing for this year or the next 2 years.

What concerns me is that we have up 9 sacks to a team that had 17 total last season. That we got dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. And we know you have to be solid on the OL and DL to compete in our conference. We’re a long way away from being competitive in those areas.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I had this thought today. Spurrier was just ok here for the first 5 or 6 years, but he mixed in some big wins over UGA, UT and UF to give hope that progress was being made. Beamer did that last year with UF and Clemson.

That said, after our performance last night, it's dadgum hard to see where 6 wins come from. We have the OL of a 3-4 win team.
What are those wins? Just asking because I have some doubts.
Not only did our offense s*ck, but so did the defense.

Garnet Man

Feb 25, 2022
All these comparisons talk about what records match up X number of years down the road. It's what we Carolina fans do to encourage ourselves. Our team looked disorganized a lot of the time last night. We didn't look prepared. That being said we still had chances to win the game. Don't want to hear "We're a young team who made mistakes and we will get better."

Look at Deon Sanders. Turned over a complete roster with 80 some new planers. They looked organized from the get go. Had a game plan that worked. Offensive line gave Shadeur Sanders time and he came through in a huge way with over 500 yards. It was a lesson in how to prepare a team for a game and then execute it with a new roster. It's an example that coaches don't need a lot of years to develop a winning program and a winning culture.

Reactions: DeBoer31

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
All these comparisons talk about what records match up X number of years down the road. It's what we Carolina fans do to encourage ourselves. Our team looked disorganized a lot of the time last night. We didn't look prepared. That being said we still had chances to win the game. Don't want to hear "We're a young team who made mistakes and we will get better."

Look at Deon Sanders. Turned over a complete roster with 80 some new planers. They looked organized from the get go. Had a game plan that worked. Offensive line gave Shadeur Sanders time and he came through in a huge way with over 500 yards. It was a lesson in how to prepare a team for a game and then execute it with a new roster. It's an example that coaches don't need a lot of years to develop a winning program and a winning culture.
I've said this many times about current state of CFB. I pull for S. Beamer, but these days you CAN build Rome in a day - so to speak. Sanders and a few other programs are proving that. Now...TCU isn't great....but Colorado looked twenty times better than they have in a long time. I feel like we have done it here at SC. I feel like we've had some good fortune, some good momentum with a lot of positivity....but also benefited from teams like UF and UT stacked rosters leaking talent while their coaches scramble to piece together new guys with the talent that stayed. You can see how much J. Bell departure is gonna screw us on the field this year; no question he would've been the RB.

I for one think this new transfer stuff will negatively affect the SEC (the most elite, unquestionable top conf. in the land for 30 years) as a whole. You see guys that UNC added in the LSU game last night that if they hadn't come, they would have no chance to compete against LSU. Meanwhile, the 2nd/3rd string guy at LSU was probably a 4-star and transferred to Georgia Tech or somewhere and now they'll be better. I could be wrong....

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022

I don't see us having the resources to buy a new team of players like FSU and Colorado did. I think we have to build it from the bottom up, and of that can't be done anymore thn it's time to find another sport to watch like the Premier league.
I am concerned that with expansion and the portal we could be witnessing the end of college football.
Again JMO

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023

Prime demands excellence. No excuses. I’m not sure Beamer, or many other coaches, would have it in them to show up and yank scholarships from that many kids. He was willing to do now what is necessary.