Cutting the cable cord-You Tube TV

Vermilion

Oct 25, 2021
I know there are prior threads to this but can't seem to find them.

I imagine many on this forum have similar viewing habit as we do. Curious to hear about the positives and negatives of You Tube TV. Clearly the biggest positive is $$$$

Thanks for the insight

Reactions: PSUinSTL

NoBareFeet

Oct 25, 2021
I've had YouTube TV for a couple of years now and haven't looked back.

Positives:

Cost
No need to run wires throughout the house (can put a TV anywhere)
Can cancel anytime
Can watch on phone/tablet
Good DVR

Negatives:

Internet service issues can be a problem
Can only stream 3 TVs at once (maybe more if you pay more?)
Need Smart TV or streaming device (Roku/Apple TV/Google TV) --these are cheap these days, though.
Slight delay on live TV (can be a bit of an issue if people continually text during games, about the game)
Uses lots of data if you don't have unlimited home internet data

Reactions: Vermilion

Delted00004

Oct 26, 2021
We made the switch to YouTube TV a couple of months ago... very pleased with the service and cost savings. Easy transition.
If only I could get rid of Xfinity internet service -- alas they are still the only option here in State College. I do own my own modem and router set-up, so not paying their rental fees either.

Reactions: bytir

CincinnatiLion

Oct 7, 2021
I've had YouTube TV for a couple of years now and haven't looked back.

Positives:

Cost
No need to run wires throughout the house (can put a TV anywhere)
Can cancel anytime
Can watch on phone/tablet
Good DVR

Negatives:

Internet service issues can be a problem
Can only stream 3 TVs at once (maybe more if you pay more?)
Need Smart TV or streaming device (Roku/Apple TV/Google TV) --these are cheap these days, though.
Slight delay on live TV (can be a bit of an issue if people continually text during games, about the game)
We can stream more than three tvs for $20/month extra charge. This would include viewing sports in 4k when available.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Negatives:
The delay is about 30 seconds. Before she got wise to my ways I used to follow the game thread and then magically "predict" to my wife whenever I thought PSU was on the verge of having an "explosive play".

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
Since cost seems to be a big positive, would be nice to know what you’re paying all in for Ytv plus internet

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Another bonus is you can watch on your computer. When I'm at work, I'll sometimes put a game on one of my monitors.

Also, if you are viewing on computer, you can have multiple browsers open and watch a different show/game on each. On CFB Saturdays, I will often have four games going on my two monitors and my laptop screen (it's beautiful).

Biggest downside is no tv if your internet goes down, but that doesn't happen often.

I'm not sure why anyone would still have old fashion cable/satellite.

Reactions: Whart

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I have had YouTube TV for years now and I don't miss regular cable at all. Just ensure you have a good network setup at your house and the proper bandwidth so support it. I use Googles mesh network and have 3 pucks placed throughout my house and I rarely....very rarely buffer. It's more stable for me in the South than Direct TV was with the thunderstorms interrupting my feed. You can stream from your phone, laptop, I Pad, so it's great if you are on the go or have to attend a double header tomorrow that won't end until 1pm.

SW-Lion

Nov 1, 2021
We made the switch to YouTube TV a couple of months ago... very pleased with the service and cost savings. Easy transition.
If only I could get rid of Xfinity internet service -- alas they are still the only option here in State College. I do own my own modem and router set-up, so not paying their rental fees either.
Exactly right! We have YT tv and want to cut the CONcast in the worst way, but there is no competition with the speed.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I checked the "old board" for past cord cutting threads and have linked a few below. Note that situations may have changed since they were originally posted. Mods, please delete my post if it is against any rules (or simply rude) to post links to the "old board"; I'm simply ignorant of such conventions.

Best streaming services for live sports thread

Cable Cord Cutting thread

Finally Cutting the Cord .. thread

Consumer Reports Article on Cord Cutting thread

AKB Cord Cutting thread

Cutting the Cord? It's time thread

I will say that, several years ago when I made the leap, a website suggested by someone in one of those threads (or another) that helped us decide what plans worked best for us was Suppose.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I'm not sure why anyone would still have old fashion cable/satellite.
Biggest reasons for me at this point would be NFL Sunday Ticket and the delay when streaming. And I'm hoping that the Ticket somehow stays with a physical cable provider rather than streaming, since the delay really kills me (live betting is brutal when dealing with a delay).

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Nft Wood GIF
axe shin GIF
Wedge Wm1893 GIF by WIESEMANN 1893

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I know there are prior threads to this but can't seem to find them.

I imagine many on this forum have similar viewing habit as we do. Curious to hear about the positives and negatives of You Tube TV. Clearly the biggest positive is $$$$

Thanks for the insight
Super pleased after one month.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
I started out with YouTube TV when I cut the cord about a year ago. Switched to DirecTV Stream for baseball season as they're the only streaming service that carries the YES Network. Happy to say that now the regular season is over I'm back to YouTube TV. IMO, YouTube is a much better service, less $$ and the quality is much better.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Biggest reasons for me at this point would be NFL Sunday Ticket and the delay when streaming. And I'm hoping that the Ticket somehow stays with a physical cable provider rather than streaming, since the delay really kills me (live betting is brutal when dealing with a delay).
Good point, although most are not considering live betting. Yeah, I would be very careful live betting with the delays of streaming.

I thought the NFL Sunday ticket was going to be made available for streaming by now. They need to get that figured out.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69

nits2218

Oct 14, 2022
Since cost seems to be a big positive, would be nice to know what you’re paying all in for Ytv plus internet
I've had Youtube TV for almost 2 years and I like it overall, especially the price. I increased my internet (I think it's 400Mbps down) and I pay almost $140 per month, thanks to Service Electric having the monopoly for my neighborhood. I heard that the builder(s) in this area bid out the internet/tv contract when developing this area 20 years ago or so to have a sole provider to this neighborhood.

Reactions: Jason1743

PSUalum2007

Nov 3, 2021
I've had Youtube TV for almost 2 years and I like it overall, especially the price. I increased my internet (I think it's 400Mbps down) and I pay almost $140 per month, thanks to Service Electric having the monopoly for my neighborhood. I heard that the builder(s) in this area bid out the internet/tv contract when developing this area 20 years ago or so to have a sole provider to this neighborhood.
Service Electric is the worst!

Jason1743

Oct 20, 2021
I switched about 2 years ago. I save about $60/month. For TV we use u tube. For everything else - Netflks, Amazon, HBO, Showtime, Apple, etc we use hulu.
Lots of buttons to press on U tube to get what you want. Changing channels can take a few extra keystrokes. My biggest peeve is 4k - they charge extra per show.