Demographics are a factor in limiting our recruiting hauls.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
We are definitely swimming against the current. What's Franklin's 50 meter freestyle? Kraft needs to build a new Natatorium.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
We do not recruit at the level of OSU, Michigan, Georgia, etc. However, we have a 5 star QB right now. We have several high-end RBs. We (somehow, though call me skeptical of his ranking) developed the number one o-lineman in the country. And yet:

1704213222340.png

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
We do not recruit at the level of OSU, Michigan, Georgia, etc. However, we have a 5 star QB right now. We have several high-end RBs. We (somehow, though call me skeptical of his ranking) developed the number one o-lineman in the country. And yet:

View attachment 494567
Midnighter and I have both touted the Blue Chip ratio in the past. On paper at least, UM has had similar classes talent wise to ours, but Slimebaugh has had the much better results the last 3 yrs.

Reactions: LB99 and Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Midnighter and I have both touted the Blue Chip ratio in the past. On paper at least, UM has had similar classes talent wise to ours, but Slimebaugh has had the much better results the last 3 yrs.

Yup. This is only half the equation - coaching is the other. Notice no Washington or FSU on this list…

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Yup. This is only half the equation - coaching is the other. Notice no Washington or FSU on this list…
Agree. Moving forward, have to have some kind of adjustment factor for Portal acquisitions on team blue chip levels.

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
We should also acknowledge that some young men do not want to live out in the middle of nowhere in rural PA

That weakness could be overcome when the coach was a living legend

But it could be a problem now when a young man is deciding between (for example) Columbus, Ann Arbor, and State College

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
We should also acknowledge that some young men do not want to live out in the middle of nowhere in rural PA

That weakness could be overcome when the coach was a living legend

But it could be a problem now when a young man is deciding between (for example) Columbus, Ann Arbor, and State College

TOO. COUNTRY. o_O

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
I never understood the location excuse. Did anybody ever long for the bright lights of the big city while attending PSU? Heck, I never wanted to leave once I got there. Having never been to Tuscaloosa, I gotta assume it's similar. Athens, GA is an hour and a half from Atlanta. It's not like college students are hitting hte city every night.

Reactions: ODShowtime

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Cold AF here. It doesn't help recruit Southern Speed.
Timing is everything. And timing is what Deion Sanders says played a factor in him removing Georgia from consideration as a recruit before the NFL legend ultimately landed at Florida State. Sanders, now the head coach at Colorado, told Rich Eisen that he was turned off by Georgia due to frigid weather that hit Athens during his official visit to campus in the 1980s. Sanders grew up in South Florida, and the idea of not having year-round warm weather — or at the very least, mild winters — was apparently a dealbreaker for Sanders.

"I went on an official visit to Georgia back in the day when Vince Dooley was at the helm," Sanders told Eisen. "When I walked through the breezeway getting off the plane, my curl froze. That was it for them. I did not even have on some socks. I did not own a jacket. I am a Fort Myers kid. I do not know why they scheduled me to go there that time of year. That was bad. And when the curl froze, it was over. When the wind hit my ankles, that was it."
--other part of the story that is funny is that Dooley told Sanders he would redshirt his first year. Deion replied, I'm not redshirting, I'm better than anyone you got.

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I never understood the location excuse. Did anybody ever long for the bright lights of the big city while attending PSU? Heck, I never wanted to leave once I got there. Having never been to Tuscaloosa, I gotta assume it's similar. Athens, GA is an hour and a half from Atlanta. It's not like college students are hitting hte city every night.

Location doesn’t matter. These kids spend their time in three locations: Football field, weight room, library.

o_O

Reactions: Anon1704132623

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
Location doesn’t matter. These kids spend their time in three locations: Football field, weight room, library.

o_O
And the elevator. Remember on my many trips to Pattee, seeing Irv Pankey riding the elevator. One big man. I guess he had to get in Joe's mandated library hours. He did so largely riding the elevator and talking it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
The difference since BCS and Playoff is Nil is cutting into teams like Alabama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson.

What some other schools have done is out bid these schools, along with 4 and 5 stars that don't have the patience to
sit and wait, it's easy pickings to convince these athletes to portal out.

I can't understand why a school like Penn State misses out on quality receivers especially through the portal, my opinion
is since Josh Gattis we have failed miserably at this position. Franklin always mentions he has a list of assistants if some
coach leaves. Maybe he should get some advice from other staff members at who could fit.

The million dollar question is what has Michigan, Texas, and Washington done across the board to surpass the top dogs ?
Is it the assistants, NIL, player development, because it isn't palm trees and beaches, these are the schools that even Penn State
seems to be passing up.

Reactions: Midnighter

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
FSU took on a large amount of transfers last year. I’m not sure if they are included in the blue chip ratio or not?

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
Tuscaloosa is a lot different from State College (there is an HBCU there, for example) and Birmingham is a short drive away

Athens demographics: Link

It has yet to snow in May in either place unlike SC

Reactions: Catch1lion

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

View attachment 494567
we have a 5 star QB? On paper, maybe-but on the field? Not since Kerry Collins.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
The difference since BCS and Playoff is Nil is cutting into teams like Alabama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson.

What some other schools have done is out bid these schools, along with 4 and 5 stars that don't have the patience to
sit and wait, it's easy pickings to convince these athletes to portal out.

I can't understand why a school like Penn State misses out on quality receivers especially through the portal, my opinion
is since Josh Gattis we have failed miserably at this position. Franklin always mentions he has a list of assistants if some
coach leaves. Maybe he should get some advice from other staff members at who could fit.

The million dollar question is what has Michigan, Texas, and Washington done across the board to surpass the top dogs ?
Is it the assistants, NIL, player development, because it isn't palm trees and beaches, these are the schools that even Penn State
seems to be passing up.

Well he has a new OC.... JF should be leaning on him for who he thinks are top WR coaches in both evaluation of talent and development. Because what is currently at PSU both coaching and players isn't working.

Reactions: Midnighter

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
We are definitely swimming against the current. What's Franklin's 50 meter freestyle? Kraft needs to build a new Natatorium.
Have I mentioned I dominated the Friday 5-7pm free swim at the natty on the 3 meter

Gobert21

Oct 22, 2021
The first question is where did you grow up?

We love State College but a kid from inner city Detroit doesn't think the country school is very cool. Hell many of them have never been in the country. The days of kids wanting to stay home and play for their state school is long gone.