Do we jump in the polls after this, or do voters decide that Auburn isn't very good

IANit

Oct 6, 2021
auburn sucks, we drop.
If you read some of the columns from people who cover Auburn football, they lack talent and the coach is an imposter setting them back years. I think Auburn has some talent and just got beat by a team that is a lot better than many expected. I believe they'll figure that out later in the year if not now.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Do we jump in the polls after this, or do voters decide that Auburn isn't very good and leave us around the same place.

It's not as simple as "we had an impressive win, so we should move up." You have to look at the big picture, especially which teams ranked above us lost. If none did, an impressive win over a legitimate opponent would result in some type of upward movement, but not a huge amount.

Using the AP rankings:

#1 thru #9 had was wins
#10, Arkansas, had a tough time with Missouri State
#11 MSU lost to Washington, 39-28
#12 BYU lost to #25 Oregon, 41-12
#13 Miami lost to #24 TAMU, 17-9
#18 Florida had a tough time with USF, 31-28
#19 Wake Forest barely bested Liberty, 37-36

So looking at the above, Arkansas should drop, but probably won't drop much. MSU will definitely drop. Will PSU pass them? Tough to say. BYU will also drop; hard to say how much. Miami will drop; again, tough to say if PSU passes them. I think PSU should jump Florida and Wake Forest, but the voters may feel otherwise. You also have to consider some of the upset winners. Oregon will move up -- will they pass PSU? Same with TAMU -- they'll move up; not sure if they'll pass PSU.

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
Tough team to figure out so far. After being remarkably mediocre over the past 2 seasons, I’m guessing they won’t be getting many benefits of the doubt from the pollsters. That said, the influx of young talent has made it evident that they are improving from week to week, which has typically been uncharacteristic under this coaching staff. So, who knows?

Reactions: OuiRPSU

PhillyBillyReprise

Oct 29, 2021
It's not as simple as "we had an impressive win, so we should move up." You have to look at the big picture, especially which teams ranked above us lost. If none did, an impressive win over a legitimate opponent would result in some type of upward movement, but not a huge amount.

Using the AP rankings:

#1 thru #9 had was wins
#10, Arkansas, had a tough time with Missouri State
#11 MSU lost to Washington, 39-28
#12 BYU lost to #25 Oregon, 41-12
#13 Miami lost to #24 TAMU, 17-9
#18 Florida had a tough time with USF, 31-28
#19 Wake Forest barely bested Liberty, 37-36

So looking at the above, Arkansas should drop, but probably won't drop much. MSU will definitely drop. Will PSU pass them? Tough to say. BYU will also drop; hard to say how much. Miami will drop; again, tough to say if PSU passes them. I think PSU should jump Florida and Wake Forest, but the voters may feel otherwise. You also have to consider some of the upset winners. Oregon will move up -- will they pass PSU? Same with TAMU -- they'll move up; not sure if they'll pass PSU.

Don’t forget that after beating California, Notre Dame should rise in the polls.

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
Up but not Much, 17 ish
I like the sentiment but 17 a bit optimistic. I'm thinking 20, maybe 19. Too many 1 loss teams ahead of PSU already. Although you would think PSU would pass Wake Forest and Florida after less than impressive wins over non-P5 competition yesterday. This is why the polls are a problem and need to go.

Reactions: Bison13

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I agree with those saying upper teens.
On the other hand, who cares. Just win and the number will take care of itself.
the fascination with pre and early season polls is as dumb as thinking the #2 QB is better than the starter

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
Don’t worry about it after Week 3 …

Attachments

• A706B785-74D2-47B2-B7D3-DA4B43B8C496.jpeg
    A706B785-74D2-47B2-B7D3-DA4B43B8C496.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Nitt1300

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
the fascination with pre and early season polls is as dumb as thinking the #2 QB is better than the starter
I disagree. Look at Syracuse. Everyone is saying that Purdue’s loss to the Orange hurts us because Syracuse isn’t ranked and has been mediocre at best the past decade or so. But what if Purdue is good, but Syracuse is really good? Because they weren’t ranked to start the season, it’s going to take 6-8 weeks of them going undefeated before people realize they’re good and should be ranked. The opposite goes for teams like Notre Dame and Texas A&M. Because both were highly ranked to start the season, there’s a perception they’re better than they actually are and will continue to get votes even with a bad loss (or two). So, while current rankings “don’t matter,” they absolute do…unless you go undefeated, that is.

Reactions: PSU87

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
How do these rankings even matter? The playoff rankings in 2+ months matter. And after that time if Syracuse is undefeated, arguably our win over Purdue may look good or might not look as good. Imperfect system but rankings after 3 weeks don’t matter. Rankings after 9 or 10 weeks are a much better picture of who is good, who isn’t, and what your wins and losses mean.

But can we all agree Notre Lame is always overrated, always chokes, and still gets a favorable bump? Doesn’t matter - they never win a big game.

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I disagree. Look at Syracuse. Everyone is saying that Purdue’s loss to the Orange hurts us because Syracuse isn’t ranked and has been mediocre at best the past decade or so. But what if Purdue is good, but Syracuse is really good? Because they weren’t ranked to start the season, it’s going to take 6-8 weeks of them going undefeated before people realize they’re good and should be ranked. The opposite goes for teams like Notre Dame and Texas A&M. Because both were highly ranked to start the season, there’s a perception they’re better than they actually are and will continue to get votes even with a bad loss (or two). So, while current rankings “don’t matter,” they absolute do…unless you go undefeated, that is.
Syracuse isn't "really good". Purdue dominated that game statistically but found a way to lose.

Purdue had 180 more total yards than Syracuse but they:

Missed a short FG
Missed an XP
Went for 2 and missed
Threw a pick 6 to a lineman
Had 138 yards of untimely penalties

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
A lot of these pollsters probably were somewhere covering games. They see scores. They see the names involved. They tend to overreact.

I could see us propelling as high as 12. I don't think we get low balled to 19 because the slew of 1 loss teams in the rankings 11-19 is absurd. Utah and Baylor likely end up ranked higher than teams who beat them because these rankings are goofy.

Washington is going to be the biggest riser. Unranked to possibly 10-13 range after beating Sparty.

Arkansas should be the biggest drop. It's insane to keep them top 10 at this point after struggling for 3 quarters with a team 99% of the football watching population has never seen play. They play in the West. If they are top 10, we'll know in 5 weeks time.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
They take care of bizness and the Michigan game will be 2 undefeated top 10 teams clashing ...

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Tough team to figure out so far. After being remarkably mediocre over the past 2 seasons, I’m guessing they won’t be getting many benefits of the doubt from the pollsters. That said, the influx of young talent has made it evident that they are improving from week to week, which has typically been uncharacteristic under this coaching staff. So, who knows?
When you have a balanced offense, good things can happen. That's why I think this is different from the team last year that started 5 - 0. I also love the aggressiveness and team speed of the defense.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

Player2BNamedL8r

Oct 12, 2021
When you have a balanced offense, good things can happen. That's why I think this is different from the team last year that started 5 - 0. I also love the aggressiveness and team speed of the defense.
Excellent points. Also, amazing what having 2 RBs who know how to hit a hole can do for an OL. Carry that out even further, more sustained drives result in a better rested D in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: Bison13 and dcf4psu

hapval8286

Nov 2, 2021
and leave us around the same place. I, for one, thought this was a really impressive win. I think we should be close to Top 10 after this.
It's a good thing we got them early in the season because it looks far better now than any win against them as the season goes on. Auburn could literally lose the next 7 games in a row based on their schedule. The only game they might be favored, as of now, is next week at home against Missouri who is 2-1.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
and leave us around the same place. I, for one, thought this was a really impressive win. I think we should be close to Top 10 after this.
Who cares? I mean seriously. Just keep winning and all that will take care of itself. The only poll which matters is the one which starts in October and decides who gets in the playoffs.

Reactions: Classof09

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
We jump in the polls and Auburn isn't any good.

Serious issues for AU at QB and both lines.