Donte with Mike Williams

GilbertAZTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
BMW is still my favorite USC wide receiver of all time. While other receivers will have more catches, yards and TDs, I never saw a more dominant player at the position in my life. Mike Williams was simply un-guardable during his time. I remember watching opposing CBs trying to come up and tackle him and he would just punish them for their foolishness.

The Garage Mahal

Aug 24, 2017
I remain totally clueless at the monster success BMW had at SC, and his total lack of success in the pros.

One thing that's clear is how terrible his short area burst was...which makes those bubble screens and WR screens all the more mystifying? If he had the relative acceleration of an 18 wheeler, how to explain how many first downs he was able to gain on lateral throws?

I increasingly wonder if my eyes deceived me, and he was just a product of two Heisman winners in Palmer and Leinart, and an offensive schemer at the peak of his powers in Chow. Going back to watch highlights, he was simply open so often, but every few plays, he'd do something that no one else could then or since.

I often wonder if, in the pass happy TE environment that is the current NFL, if he would have written a different story in the pros.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
BMW was one of my all time favorites. He was a man among boys. I wish he would have stayed just one more year. I am sad that his NFL career was less than stellar. Not sure what happened there.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
It took me a few looks, but did you not see that person? BTW, how can you count those with a mouth visible as smiling?!? I am so curious about the backstory on the worker behind the desk!
He is a High School football coach in Tampa at The Wharton school.More than likely, thatā€™s an office lady. Her eyes definitely look like sheā€™s smiling too me

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
BMW was one of my all time favorites. He was a man among boys. I wish he would have stayed just one more year. I am sad that his NFL career was less than stellar. Not sure what happened there.

What happened was that there was a major disconnect between his college skills as a WR and his pro skills as a WR. In fact, his size and speed were more consistent with a NFL TE than a WR yet I'm not aware if any of the three HCs he played for in Detroit asked him to make that switch, or if they did, whether he was open to doing it. His work ethic was also very questionable which caused him to eat his way out of the league for two years.

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
When BMW was coming up is when I started following USC football. He accomplished more in 2 years that many receivers do in 4. He truly is the GOAT.

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Mike Williams was absolutely dominating.
His leaving kind of worked out for USC.
Dwayne Jarrett was suffering from homesickness that next season. Him playing made it easier for him to stay. If BMW stays DW probably doesn't play that much and he probably transfers.
Mike Williams would've been great at inside WR position in Harrell's offense.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

3rd Slide

Aug 24, 2017
Mike Williams was absolutely dominating.
His leaving kind of worked out for USC.
Dwayne Jarrett was suffering from homesickness that next season. Him playing made it easier for him to stay. If BMW stays DW probably doesn't play that much and he probably transfers.
Mike Williams would've been great at inside WR position in Harrell's offense.

I would have gladly taken BMW over DJ.

mvpreed2

Aug 24, 2017
BMW was the first dominant USC WR that started that run of WRs that CPC had.
My first question was (1) what school does he coach at, and (2) how many players did DBDW offer on this trip?

Bilbo.usc

Jan 9, 2020
BMW represented the talent and attitude of the CPC era .. has Jr season stolen from him which I think played a part in his lack of success in the NFL...
Huge part of one of the greatest runs in CFB history
I am proud to call him a fellow Trojan for life

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
BMW is on the short list of most dominating performers I have seen. Him playing against mere college players was like watching a father/son game.

I can't imagine what a junior year would have looked like.
Iā€™ll bet he wonders about that too sometimes.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Iā€™ll bet he wonders about that too sometimes.
Heā€™s said many times that it was a huge mistake in trying to leave. I blame Michael Irvin and Maurice Clarett.
If anyone is wondering why I blame Irvin, itā€™s quite simple. Irvin did a feature on Mike when he was a sophomore where they went out and did some drills. When he came back to ESPN, after they showed the piece, Michael told the host that he thought Mike Williams was NFL ready right then and there. Someone brought up Larry Fitzgerald and Michael said BMW was more NFL ready than Larry Fitzgerald. That prediction didnā€™t age well.

And Mo Clarett is obvious.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Trojanfan562

Sep 5, 2017
What happened was that there was a major disconnect between his college skills as a WR and his pro skills as a WR. In fact, his size and speed were more consistent with a NFL TE than a WR yet I'm not aware if any of the three HCs he played for in Detroit asked him to make that switch, or if they did, whether he was open to doing it. His work ethic was also very questionable which caused him to eat his way out of the league for two years.
Iirc, he was gonna go to UF, but Spurrier saw him as a TE now than a WR.

Those big WRs were in fashion at the college level at the time, but none of them really panned out in the NFL. Well except Megatron, but he was a freakish athlete.

dlk4troy

Aug 24, 2017
Mike is awesome but I'm still a little pissed at him for his '02 performance against Kansas State. šŸ˜†
I was at that game and he was terrible. Dropped a lot of passes especially at the end of the game where Carson threw the perfect pass that could have been a game winner. I think Carson ā€œcoached him upā€ after that night. He definitely got better from that point on

Reactions: troypwr

Trojanfan562

Sep 5, 2017
I was at that game and he was terrible. Dropped a lot of passes especially at the end of the game where Carson threw the perfect pass that could have been a game winner. I think Carson ā€œcoached him upā€ after that night. He definitely got better from that point on
I think he also had a couple big drops against WSU.

Latest posts