Eddie George on Penn State

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Jim Kelly wanted to go to Penn State, but Joe wanted to make him a linebacker. To Joe, the best athletes played linebacker. Kelly wanted to play quarterback, in part because quarterbacks made a lot more money than linebackers. After Kelly was with the Bills, he rehashed all that in speaking to Paterno and how well he was doing playing quarterback and Joe was wrong to want him to play linebacker. Joe's response was, "You'd have made a hell of a linebacker."

Reactions: Sharkies

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Jim Kelly wanted to go to Penn State, but Joe wanted to make him a linebacker. To Joe, the best athletes played linebacker. Kelly wanted to play quarterback, in part because quarterbacks made a lot more money than linebackers. After Kelly was with the Bills, he rehashed all that in speaking to Paterno and how well he was doing playing quarterback and Joe was wrong to want him to play linebacker. Joe's response was, "You'd have made a hell of a linebacker."
It’s a good story but it’s also an urban myth

Reactions: Bob78 and PSU87

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
It’s a good story but it’s also an urban myth
Yes. Kelly was told that he was GOOD ENOUGH to play linebacker, not that they wanted him to play linebacker.

That's Kelly's version of the story, and its as valuable as his collection of super bowl rings.

Reactions: FTLPSU and BobPSU92

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
It's interesting how some here are critical of another poster simply posting some Penn State trivia. If you object there's a simple solution. Don't read it.

Reactions: Nitt1300

IBeBlockin

Dec 28, 2022
It happens sometimes - it’s recruiting. Psu made out just fine with Carter and one of the greatest offensive teams in college football history in 1994. It also worked out for George with a great career at Osu and beyond.

I also read a snippet a couple of years back in one of the Pittsburgh outlets that Russ Grimm wanted to go to Psu but had a bad experience on a visit which completely turned him off and he went to Pitt instead - it happens.

Reactions: Bob78

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
It's interesting how some here are critical of another poster simply posting some Penn State trivia. If you object there's a simple solution. Don't read it.
Is anyone really "objecting" to it? I mean I didn't read it that way. I read it for what it was. Urban myth on the Jim Kelly part and just kind of ehhh on the Eddie George part. I kind of thought most already knew that to be honest. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Bob78

Bob78

Oct 12, 2021
George was a monster but I'd take Carter over him in college. George won a Heisman, but Carter should have had one too - Collins took half his votes and Salaam came through the back door.
I think that was also the year that Steve McNair of 1AA Alcorn State took some votes away, because he was having a monster season... in that division. Good grief, Charlie Brown. But, yes Collins and Carter were both so outstanding that they divided their votes to an extent. Salaam was great that season, but I think if either Collins or Carter had more or less stood alone in their dominance, that player would have won the Heisman.

McNair was a "cool" choice for the Heisman, Osborne was the sympathetic choice for MNC... and meanwhile one of the all-time offenses and coaches are set off to the side for no better reason than being in the right place at the wrong time.

No one will ever convince me that we weren't the NationalChampions that season. Split it if you must, but at least 51% of that MNC is rightfully ours. (See also 1969).

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Sort of surprised Eddie wants to rehash this. It was well known that he refused to hit the books. His mother even said Joe was right.

btw, he quit during the ‘94 massacre. Watch the film. He literally stops playing.