@El_Jefe -- big surprise in PIAA wrestling

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
to provide a little context, Louie Gill won the 2021 PIAA Class AA 106 Championship as a freshman. He entered States with a 27-5 record, and he won his 3 matches at Hershey (due to COVID, the PIAA reduced the numbers as States in 2021) to win the championship.

Currently, teams are competing in the Team Championships (Duals). Gill's team, Hickory, bumped Gill up to 120 to try to maximize their chances of defeating West Perry. West Perry was forfeiting at 106, so Hickory could move Gill to 113 or to 120. They opted to move him to 120, where he was pinned by West Perry freshman Jackson Rush.

Reactions: Hlstone and Garw

lobolion

Oct 23, 2021
Reactions: Indian rocks rich

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I saw. Pretty big upset.

There's a little more context to this:
- Gill was ranked nationally at 106 (offhand around 10th-12th), but had wrestled at 113 and 120 a lot this year.
- West Perry forfeited 106.
- West Perry's 113 Deven Jackson is a SR returning state 4th, and a serious matchup problem -- he's a double amputee. Style adjustment + a serious strength mismatch for a SO bumping up a weight. Jackson teched Hickory's starter.
- Rush was 21-9 going into the match. One of the better freshmen, still not a lock to place at states.

Gill was better on feet and should've won the match. Kinda surprising he got packed with a half. Good decision by the coaches, just didn't work out.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Yet another name to start keeping track of. Thanks for posting.
Rush is more of a guy to remember if he starts racking up wins in 2 years. He might not even place at states this year -- 120 is pretty full with returning champ Pepe, returning 3rd Vargo, the Baineys (4th and 6th), Schweitzer (7th), Burke (7th), etc. And that assumes Wentzel (returning champ), Bradley (returning finalist), and Botero (top freshman) don't move up from 113, or someone good doesn't drop from 126.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
BTW, if we're looking for guys to watch from PA state duals: Beca 106 Nate Desmond, Nazareth 113 Tahir Parkins, and Faith Christian 113 Gauge Botero. They're all freshmen.

Desmond especially. He's the best prospect in this year's PA freshman class. M2 kid, placed at Fargo and Super 32, 2nd at Ironman, won Beast, won the Bethlehem Holiday Tournament, won Escape the Rock. He's gonna win AAA 106, and he has a legit shot at being a 4x champ.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
BTW, another FR to follow who wasn't at state duals: Muncy 215 Austin Johnson is still unbeaten. Another M2 kid.

He likely won't win states this year with PItzer is at the same weight, but looks like a possible 3x champ after that.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Is M2 taking over Young Guns as the premier youth club in PA?
IMO yes but it's not that cut and dried. The proliferation of clubs has changed the model.

Now most state qualifier-level wrestlers belong to multiple clubs: a local one for weekdays, and one or more (often further away) on weekends.

YG has more wrestlers in its footprint, but kids travel farther to train at M2 such as Kasak from Doylestown. Plus where there is overlap (such as the Gibsons and Bassetts), the kids often belong to both M2 and YG.

M2 does offer something YG cannot: direct visibility with the PSU program -- being coached by PSU and NLWC wrestlers, and occasionally by PSU coaches; and participation in NLWC events.

The talent distribution has shifted somewhat too. Most of the higher-end prospects are Johnstown or east, which means they either split M2/YG or go only M2 (or neither). That distribution is probably cyclical but favors M2 now.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
IMO yes but it's not that cut and dried. The proliferation of clubs has changed the model.

Now most state qualifier-level wrestlers belong to multiple clubs: a local one for weekdays, and one or more (often further away) on weekends.

YG has more wrestlers in its footprint, but kids travel farther to train at M2 such as Kasak from Doylestown. Plus where there is overlap (such as the Gibsons and Bassetts), the kids often belong to both M2 and YG.

M2 does offer something YG cannot: direct visibility with the PSU program -- being coached by PSU and NLWC wrestlers, and occasionally by PSU coaches; and participation in NLWC events.

The talent distribution has shifted somewhat too. Most of the higher-end prospects are Johnstown or east, which means they either split M2/YG or go only M2 (or neither). That distribution is probably cyclical but favors M2 now.

Agree on all fronts. The direct connection you speak of has already paid dividends for PSU with Haines and very well could continue to pay dividends in the future with guys like Kasak, Desmond, Gibson, and Bassett. It’s nice to have a PSU influence in the club scene. I realize PSU has got many talented wrestlers from YG, but the Strittmater/Iowa connection is hard to ignore.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
the Strittmater/Iowa connection is hard to ignore.
We can ignore it.

After this year, Tan Tom will have more YG wrestlers + commits than Brands. So will Gavin.

And Brands probably won't get any YG guys currently in HS. Nearly all are committed elsewhere or have crossed out Iowa.

Reactions: Garw

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
We can ignore it.

After this year, Tan Tom will have more YG wrestlers + commits than Brands. So will Gavin.

And Brands probably won't get any YG guys currently in HS. Nearly all are committed elsewhere or have crossed out Iowa.

No doubt about it, Tan Tom cleaned up in this recruiting class. As we know, wrestling recruiting is cyclical based on eligibility and needs. Which means OSU probably won’t get the top guys for a few years now. Iowa is being feed by the Seybolt connection currently. I realize YG guys have committed to various other programs, but that YG to Iowa path enabled them to resurface as a national contender the past few years. I’m fine with that pipeline being cut off.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
@El_Jefe
I have to ask. You are well-known for your wrestling knowledge. I recall you were on this board when it started, but hadn't seen you here in a while. Are you here full-time, are you splitting time with the old board, or do you just lurk to see when someone on this board says something that requires your expertise?

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
@El_Jefe
I have to ask. You are well-known for your wrestling knowledge. I recall you were on this board when it started, but hadn't seen you here in a while. Are you here full-time, are you splitting time with the old board, or do you just lurk to see when someone on this board says something that requires your expertise?
Flattery will get you everywhere!

Am trying to split my time. Here less b/c I can't figure out how to set up dark screen format. White screen causes me eye pain after a while ... say, 9 hrs of work.

Also, dumb as this sounds: being auto-logged off tricks me into thinking there's nothing new. I haven't adjusted to that yet.

Reactions: Hlstone

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021

Am trying to split my time. Here less b/c I can't figure out how to set up dark screen format. White screen causes me eye pain after a while ... say, 9 hrs of work.

Also, dumb as this sounds: being auto-logged off tricks me into thinking there's nothing new. I haven't adjusted to that yet.
It doesn’t seem to get me anywhere with my wife????

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021

As for dark format, you've seen this in preferences, right? Or are you referencing something else?

D56CE7CF-80D6-4CBE-9744-4AC3AA122A03.jpeg

IronLion

Oct 12, 2021
@El_Jefe
What is the old board?

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021

I think I know what dark money means, but not so sure what dark screen means. Inquiring people want to know. 🤔😝😉. Appreciate your contributions in any case.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@El_Jefe, did you take note of this one at the District 3 Sectionals?

To provide some context, last year (2021), Kaedyn Williams (Manheim Township) won the PIAA Class AAA 106 Championship.

In this year's District 3 Sectionals, 113 weight class, Nico Tocci (Warwick) defeated Kaedyn Williams 6-4, SV.

Reactions: Hlstone and El_Jefe

helixville

Oct 12, 2021
I like the wrestling forum as it ties in college and Piaa wrestling. Thx for the info on club wrestling and the emergence of m2 to parity with yg. There is a plethora of clubs now giving yg competition. Any of you guys hear of Orchard club wrestling? It about two miles from me. Pretty local mainly district 5/6 kids. Watch out for the deputy boys coming up thru Jh and varsity the next several years.

Reactions: Hlstone

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
@El_Jefe, did you take note of this one at the District 3 Sectionals?

To provide some context, last year (2021), Kaedyn Williams (Manheim Township) won the PIAA Class AAA 106 Championship.

In this year's District 3 Sectionals, 113 weight class, Nico Tocci (Warwick) defeated Kaedyn Williams 6-4, SV.

Saw that. Between that and the awful loss Kamdyn took earlier this year (got decked by a D2 district 5th placer), starting to wonder if Tan Tom jumped the gun with the twins.

Still, very good win for Tocci. He's headed to Air Force, no slouch.

The other big news offhand from sectionals weekend: Muncy's Johnson brothers (and M2 kids) changed weights. State finalist Scott dropped from 132 and is now ranked #1 in PA AA at 126. (#2 and #3 are also from D4 Central sectional, South Williamsport's Bobby Gardner and Warrior Run's Kaden Millheim.)

Undefeated freshman Austin bumped up from 215 to HWT, and is now ranked #2 behind returning finalist Riley Robell.

Latest posts