FC: A few post game Peach Bowl thoughts/observations…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Team really put in a tough position with interim coordinators, gameplay limitations with known opt outs, and last minute scratches. Unfortunately at positions with inexperienced back ups. That said, still some good heading into next year:

- Cam Miller is going to be really good. He and Tracey lost more than they won against an experienced passer and WR’s, but it’s good experience for both going forward. Secondary will be solid again I think.

- Really stunk having to play an obviously injured Carter - Ole Miss ran at him nearly every play en route to a score and he was just slow enough to miss a few key tackles. King, Carter, and Rojas will be fine next year but seems like depth is seriously lacking. Who steps up at LB? I think DeLuca is great, but we should have more talented LBs on the two deep at this point.

- Daquon Hardy played almost 90 snaps. He should drink free forever. Compare that to the 20 or so Isaac and other NFL bound players played and Franklin has to decide how much he wants to win the game; this half in, half out won’t work for the playoff.

- Allen and Singleton are great, but they rotate way too often. We also bailed on the run way too early, and when the D backed off in the 4th, Allar was throwing ropes. Someone in another thread said we don’t have a QB coach on staff - think we need to get one.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Giving Nick only 8 runs is terrible. Moved the ball running early and should have stuck with it. Would have kept their offense on the bench. Regarding your LB comment, Keon Wylie got some play this year and Kevione Keys should be ready. Think we have 2 more on the way. Drew only has Warren as a trusted go to next year. Hopefully AK can draw up some safe plays for Drew and they get a WR or two. Replacing 4 starters on the Oline will be an issue.

ManxomeLion

Aug 24, 2017
A lot of contributing factors to the loss. The one thing that's truly disappointing is the anemic performance of the receivers throughout the entire season. It was an area in doubt before the season started and saw no improvement. When it's that protracted it's a coaching issue imho.
I also don't think it helps that the coordinators have a shorter tenure at Penn State than many of the players.

Last edited:

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Coaching malfeasance to allow Carter to play with one leg. Ole Miss ran right at him and he couldn’t do a thing. Also one would have to view the All 22 and see if it is actually Allar that is the problem vs the WRs. I am not so sure he has any confidence to make throws that need to be to a covered receiver or to an area (lead the receiver). He is slow on the trigger IMO.

Last edited:

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Coaching malfeasance to allow Carter to play with one leg. Ole Miss ran right at him and he couldn’t do a thing. Also one would have to view the All 22 and see if it is actually Allar that is the problem vs the WRs. I am not so sure he has any confidence to make throws that need to be to a covered receiver or to an area (lead the receiver). He is slow on the trigger IMO.
The coach and team doctor are idiots to let him play, because it set Carter up to potentially get injured worse. Both coaching and medical malpractice.

DaytonRickster

Oct 25, 2021
The coach and team doctor are idiots to let him play, because it set Carter up to potentially get injured worse. Both coaching and medical malpractice.
Several times during the radio broadcast Jack Ham questioned why Carter remained in the game given his obvious injury. This question needs to raised by the press.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Giving Nick only 8 runs is terrible. Moved the ball running early and should have stuck with it. Would have kept their offense on the bench. Regarding your LB comment, Keon Wylie got some play this year and Kevione Keys should be ready. Think we have 2 more on the way. Drew only has Warren as a trusted go to next year. Hopefully AK can draw up some safe plays for Drew and they get a WR or two. Replacing 4 starters on the Oline will be an issue.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Same thing that happened vs OSU and Michigan - found something that was working early and got bored with it. Since Yurcich wasn’t there (we think), only one commonality to point the finger at.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
- Allen and Singleton are great, but they rotate way too often. We also bailed on the run way too early, and when the D backed off in the 4th, Allar was throwing ropes. Someone in another thread said we don’t have a QB coach on staff - think we need to get one.
I've thought this for a long time. I know it is popular to have multiple running backs in the NFL, and USC did it with White/Bush a number of years ago, but these RBs usually have different skill sets. Allen and Singleton are basically the same guy. They never get into a rhythm at all during a game.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I've thought this for a long time. I know it is popular to have multiple running backs in the NFL, and USC did it with White/Bush a number of years ago, but these RBs usually have different skill sets. Allen and Singleton are basically the same guy. They never get into a rhythm at all during a game.

Our offense can never pass well enough consistently to get them in a rhythm. They both have stretches where they break off multiple good runs, but they also have timed where they get us to 3rd and 8.

Allen is the better RB, but Singleton is the more explosive athlete. Until we can throw for first downs consistently, they will never get in rhythm like you see UGA do with 3 RBs, 2 TEs, and 6 WRs.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Our offense can never pass well enough consistently to get them in a rhythm. They both have stretches where they break off multiple good runs, but they also have timed where they get us to 3rd and 8.

Allen is the better RB, but Singleton is the more explosive athlete. Until we can throw for first downs consistently, they will never get in rhythm like you see UGA do with 3 RBs, 2 TEs, and 6 WRs.
What I am talking about is keeping one of them in for a half or full game, uninterrupted. The whole “keep feeding me the ball” never really happens for either of them. I would imagine that is really frustrating for them and probably leads to them “pushing it” for a bigger play each time because they know they are only going to get so many carries.

Plus, I don’t think it really does anything for the opposing defense. I swear in franklins head he believes that it confuse the defense or gives them something else to think about. But because they are the same guy, I don’t think the defense gives two rips and never really adjusts. It isn’t “out goes Reggie bush now that we are all exhausted from chasing him, and here comes white to run us over.”

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
Don't forget Ta'Mere Robinson, 6-3, 240....probably a back up Mike....and Dom....and Elsdon

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
Same thing that happened vs OSU and Michigan - found something that was working early and got bored with it. Since Yurcich wasn’t there (we think), only one commonality to point the finger at.

That person was also carrying the game charts/cards....was he calling the plays?

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
That person was also carrying the game charts/cards....was he calling the plays?
Does "that person" you refer to also call the plays that go for big gains and TDs or does he only call the plays that result in sacks, fumbles, interceptions, and no gain?

Repeat after me, verrrrrrry slowly .... until you understand .... "FRANKLIN DOESN'T CALL THE PLAYS".