FC: Big Ten Expansion Creates Urgency, but Kraft Isn’t Worried

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Pat Kraft is this generation's Alfred E. Neuman

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

“Kraft’s boldness verbally matches his actions so far a year into his tenure as Penn State’s Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics. Under his watch the department is set to undertake arguably the most robust series of facilities upgrades and renovations that the department has ever seen, coming in at around $70 million in approved budgets. Couple that with Beaver Stadium’s renovations package at over half a billion and you’re left with a department going at things full steam ahead.”

😀

😞

o_O

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Also from the article:

”For all of the bravado Kraft isn’t short on the self awareness that talk is cheap but new buildings aren’t. He has quietly noted in interviews over the past year that Penn State can only do the things it can pay for. It has turned fundraising into even more of an existential requirement of the job, an area where Kraft would likely aspire to do better than his predecessor and mend whatever bridges might be in need of such tender love and care.”

Do better than his predecessor? I don’t get it.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Also from the article:

”For all of the bravado Kraft isn’t short on the self awareness that talk is cheap but new buildings aren’t. He has quietly noted in interviews over the past year that Penn State can only do the things it can pay for. It has turned fundraising into even more of an existential requirement of the job, an area where Kraft would likely aspire to do better than his predecessor and mend whatever bridges might be in need of such tender love and care.”

We are equal opportunity haters.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
College athletics are not for the faint of heart...be bold or go home. Kraft's aggressive style is refreshing and getting the job done is his style....he may be the catalyst to unite a broken/segmented university alumni.
We’ll see. Speaking for myself as a member of this “broken/segmented” community, actions are going to speak louder than words.

ChandlerPearce

Jan 23, 2022
Also from the article:

Yup.....compared to Sister Sandy he is doing more with fewer Assistant ADs

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Kraft has to figure out a way to honor JoePa properly and then the donations will flow. He has yet to figure that out after 18 months.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Kraft has to figure out a way to honor JoePa properly and then the donations will flow. He has yet to figure that out after 18 months.
I am sure there are still some forces hoping the JoePa honors will just be forgotten. Kraft will need some commitments for several (tens of) millions of dollars. "Honor JoePa like this and you will get this." Outside of that scenario I do not see anything changing.

Not that I agree with it, but that is my view of the situation.

Also, I do not think significant dollars would stop if JoePa were honored.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
B.S.

The people that have decided not to give to PSU simply aren't going to give to PSU even if Joe is recognized. There's no pot of money waiting to be sent to PSU as soon as Joe is recognized.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
Kraft has to figure out a way to honor JoePa d and then the donations will flow. He has yet to figure that out after 18
Simple: Hold a dedicated Joe Paterno a day home game and review and highlight all his contributions - and include an apology to Paterno family.

Just use posture Michigan , Ohio State, and Michigan State used with real crimes in their athletic department: “ F you everyone!”

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
B.S.

The people that have decided not to give to PSU simply aren't going to give to PSU even if Joe is recognized. There's no pot of money waiting to be sent to PSU as soon as Joe is recognized.
Agree. Think some people believe that if Joe was properly recognized and honored tomorrow that $500M will come rolling in.

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
Also from the article:

A simple concept that has somehow completely eluded the other gatekeepers.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
B.S.

You might be surprised. But we’ll never know unless we try.

Reactions: Bob78 and BobPSU92

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
When 9-2 becomes 7-4 next December, what tangible changes will Kraft make and has he already written a 7-4 plan on paper that he can text to me today to review?

Reactions: Mr. Nickels 11

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
When 9-2 becomes 7-4 next December, what tangible changes will Kraft make and has he already written a 7-4 plan on paper that he can text to me today to review?
Our all time record against Oregon is 3-1, Washington 3-0, and USC 4-6 for what it's worth.

To put a more recent perspective on it, the Pac 12 bowl record against other conference teams was 3-4 in 2022 and 0-5 in 2021.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that the Pac 12 is a modern powerhouse with a combined 3-9 record against other conference teams in bowls the past two years. They have a couple of good teams that beat up on little brothers in their conference then get stomped most of the time when they play good teams out of conference.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Our all time record against Oregon is 3-1, Washington 3-0, and USC 4-6 for what it's worth.

To put a more recent perspective on it, the Pac 12 bowl record against other conference teams was 3-4 in 2022 and 0-5 in 2021.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that the Pac 12 is a modern powerhouse with a combined 3-9 record against other conference teams in bowls the past two years. They have a couple of good teams that beat up on little brothers in their conference then get stomped most of the time when they play good teams out of conference.
I don’t think the bowl games count (outside top 4) cause guys opt out. We beat W and O this year? I doubt it

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Agree. Think some people believe that if Joe was properly recognized and honored tomorrow that $500M will come rolling in.
And how is the other approach, believing PSU football only began in 2011 and bitching about lack of funding working out?

Reactions: Zenophile

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
B.S.

But an apology for throwing the alums under the bus might help. That and the high handed way the BOT and the Alumni Assn act (especially with Alumni Council) has turned what 15 years ago would have been a scholarship endowment to Penn State into an endowment for the elephant program at the Indianapolis Zoo. Joe's dead, so it's not about that for me. I simply don't trust the leadership of this university to use my money wisely.

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
But an apology for throwing the alums under the bus might help. That and the high handed way the BOT and the Alumni Assn act (especially with Alumni Council) has turned what 15 years ago would have been a scholarship endowment to Penn State into an endowment for the elephant program at the Indianapolis Zoo. Joe's dead, so it's not about that for me. I simply don't trust the leadership of this university to use my money wisely.
Lots of great ideas in this thread.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
For many, it comes right down to that. An apology, or other gesture, doesn't change that. When was the last time we heard anything on progress made to eliminate PSU's operating deficit?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
B.S.

I kind of agree with your point. My wife and I have continued to donate earmarked funding to the foundation. Example giving scholarship funding to a specific academic program.

Not interested in giving to fund the Penn State budget issues. The BoT and Administration need to increase revenue (including increase tuition where appropriate), decrease financial aid, cut operating costs and finally getting more money from the State. If the State isn't going to give funding then they need to fight against over regulation by the State. Bottom line, they have a business and it cannot fund losses. This requires tough decisions including shrinking unprofitable programs.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I kind of agree with your point. My wife and I have continued to donate earmarked funding to the foundation. Example giving scholarship funding to a specific academic program.

Not interested in giving to fund the Penn State budget issues. The BoT and Administration need to increase revenue (including increase tuition where appropriate), decrease financial aid, cut operating costs and finally getting more money from the State. If the State isn't going to give funding then they need to fight against over regulation by the State. Bottom line, they have a business and it cannot fund losses. This requires tough decisions including shrinking unprofitable programs.
Increasing tuition and decreasing financial aid could easily be revenue negative. As for getting more funding from the Commonwealth, that snowball is long melted. Tough decisions? There is a first time for everything, but not with the crew currently in charge.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Increasing tuition and decreasing financial aid could easily be revenue negative. As for getting more funding from the Commonwealth, that snowball is long melted. Tough decisions? There is a first time for everything, but not with the crew currently in charge.

Recent tough decision faced: Ruffles or regular potato chips for the onion dip? They chose both.

😞

Reactions: GrimReaper