FC: College Donations: Philanthropy No More by Jay Paterno

Oct 12, 2021
Jay with the solemn and pointed lead in - “Am I therefore to become your enemy because I tell you the truth?” –St. Paul to the Galatians. For the most part, he'll be preaching to the choir here. What say you all?

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Jay with the solemn and pointed lead in - “Am I therefore to become your enemy because I tell you the truth?” –St. Paul to the Galatians. For the most part, he'll be preaching to the choir here. What say you all?

A bit late to the game (and a bit shy on speaking out on the underlying issues), but 100% correct.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021

You made me click on a jay paterno article. Ugh! Damn! 😢😫

Reactions: Grass

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Blah blah. Penn State wants our money, not our two cents. Give early, often, and in large sums.
It's been that way since the 80s. All about the money and they could care less about who gave it unless they can give more.

Oct 12, 2021

Oct 12, 2021
I wonder what Penn State could do to help restore donation levels? 🤔

Or more apt, I wonder what Penn State should have done 12 years ago. 😞

F*ck us.
Bob, PSU has to reach out to well-heeled alums like yourself, otherwise PSU is doomed. You should give it some thought on the private plane flights you take from Alpine, NJ to your Amalfi Coast villa.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Psu is the only school that doesn’t help with tuition. Maybe if they fixed that it would help alumni give somewhere else.

also fafsa hasn’t been released yet so millions do not know where they will be going to school or if they get help. Gov like bloated psu can’t manage money well.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Bob, PSU has to reach out to well-heeled alums like yourself, otherwise PSU is doomed. You should give it some thought on the private plane flights you take from Alpine, NJ to your Amalfi Coast villa.

I love Dear Old State, but I must maintain my comfortable, lavish lifestyle. Hell. How am I not a trustee?

Manofsteel200

Oct 27, 2021
It would be an interesting poll of alumni
1. Do you give $ to PSu? Yes or no.
2. If you do not give why?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I think Jay fails to thread the needle here because he's confusing the long term strategy of giving that is philanthropy versus the more immediate, urgent short term need that is charity. Giving to Harvard or Princeton (or Penn State) has never been charity; it's always been philanthropy (and probably not as altruistic as charity). His point is well taken though when schools like Penn State ask for money, they're not always looking to put it to urgent, charitable needs (such as scholarships) but rather shiny new toys.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
This quote had me thinking,
"It’s hard for them to take us seriously when we say we need money for scholarships and facilities."

Who are "them", "us", and "we"?

"Them" are obviously not "us" and "we". And "us" and "we" are Jay and who else? Who is hanging out with Jay, asking people for money that now he is an "us" or "we".

Is it the other trustees?

EPC FAN

Oct 7, 2021

I wonder what Penn State could do to help restore donation levels? 🤔

Or more apt, I wonder what Penn State should have done 12 years ago. 😞

F*ck us.
I’ll go way out on a limb here, Bob. Second one first. They should NOT have thrown Joseph Vincent Paterno under The Acela.
They should honor his 61 years at the University through Suzanne Pohland Paterno. Anything less will continue the donation drought.

Reactions: MacNit

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I’ll go way out on a limb here, Bob. Second one first. They should NOT have thrown Joseph Vincent Paterno under The Acela.
They should honor his 61 years at the University through Suzanne Pohland Paterno. Anything less will continue the donation drought.

You may be on to something. 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: MacNit and PSUFTG2

DELion

Oct 21, 2021
It would be an interesting poll of alumni
1. Do you give $ to PSu? Yes or no.
2. If you do not give why?
1. No, not any more. and never again. I gave annually for over 30 years, even endowed a scholarship. Wasn't happy about the JVP situation but continued donating because I figured that's what Joe would have wanted.
2. I stopped all donations to PSU a couple years ago when they politicized the university endowment. Pissing off half of your donor base is an incredibly stupid strategy. Go woke, go broke.

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
Blah blah. Penn State wants our money, not our two cents. Give early, often, and in large sums.
So, they can throw money at cribbage or fly fishing and fly them all over the country. Brilliant. Welfare for club type sports to be varsity sports never goes away. Make money support yourself then we can talk.

GulfCoastLion

Oct 14, 2021
1. No, not any more. and never again. I gave annually for over 30 years, even endowed a scholarship. Wasn't happy about the JVP situation but continued donating because I figured that's what Joe would have wanted.
2. I stopped all donations to PSU a couple years ago when they politicized the university endowment. Pissing off half of your donor base is an incredibly stupid strategy. Go woke, go broke.
The framing/scapegoating of JVP by the BOT’s and subsequent ‘installed’ regime continues to linger with deep pocket/baby boomer alums/doners IMO ~ yet still no legit review of the ridiculous bought & paid for Freeh report (thank you NOT President Barron).
Sorry for the rant. They can try to sweep it under the rug forever and wait for the newer generations to start giving more I suppose, but the stench continues more than a decade later.

Latest posts