FC/OT: 2022 US Open Thred (No Djoke!).

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Yeah I'd like to see Rafa go deep in the tourney but think it's ludicrous that Djoko can't be there. I'm going to be there for the 1st day and possibly the 2nd but am however looking forward to some of upcoming Americans playing. Unfortunately some of my favorites are out including Angelique Kerber and Gael Monfils. Hoping Thiem, Korda, and Jess Pegula do well.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Yeah I'd like to see Rafa go deep in the tourney but think it's ludicrous that Djoko can't be there. I'm going to be there for the 1st day and possibly the 2nd but am however looking forward to some of upcoming Americans playing. Unfortunately some of my favorites are out including Angelique Kerber and Gael Monfils. Hoping Thiem, Korda, and Jess Pegula do well.

I’d like to see Rafa distance himself more from Djokovic. Also hoping Anisimova gets her first GS; she’s been playing well and trending up.

american sport GIF by Roland-Garros

Reactions: Lblion

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
On another US Open note, Serena's match last night was almost like a final - crowd was really, really enthusiastic. She won, but struggled on longer points; especially when having to move a lot. I would love to see her win it all, but I think that's asking a lot. She plays #2 seed Anett Kontaveit next round; crowd will be with her, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her bounced.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
On another US Open note, Serena's match last night was almost like a final - crowd was really, really enthusiastic. She won, but struggled on longer points; especially when having to move a lot. I would love to see her win it all, but I think that's asking a lot. She plays #2 seed Anett Kontaveit next round; crowd will be with her, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her bounced.
Serena is a pretty big underdog tomorrow (implied odds give her about a 32% chance to win).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
So, what do we think of this celebration between 16 year old Sara Bejlki and her dad and coach? Too much?

ILLINOISLION

Oct 12, 2021
Great match last night. Thought Serena was in trouble after she got stomped in the second set but like the experienced veteran she is she elevated her game in the third set and kicked butt.

Truly amazing how she has improved her game in the last month or so after being gone from the game for the last year or so.

Like her or not, pretty damn impressive for a 41 year old mom.

Not a fan of the two post-match celebratory festivities…..

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Great match last night. Thought Serena was in trouble after she got stomped in the second set but like the experienced veteran she is she elevated her game in the third set and kicked butt.

Truly amazing how she has improved her game in the last month or so after being gone from the game for the last year or so.

Like her or not, pretty damn impressive for a 41 year old mom.

Not a fan of the two post-match celebratory festivities…..

Agree on the over the top post game stuff. Also, surprised she’s playing doubles - takes a lot out of you. She’s tremendous though.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Agree on the over the top post game stuff. Also, surprised she’s playing doubles - takes a lot out of you. She’s tremendous though.
I guess nobody expected to see Serena pull it off. I knew I didn’t. I watched the third set and was wondering how her opponent managed to get herself ranked #2 for the tournament.

Reactions: Midnighter

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I guess nobody expected to see Serena pull it off. I knew I didn’t. I watched the third set and was wondering how her opponent managed to get herself ranked #2 for the tournament.
It speaks to how well she’s played outside the Grand Slams to have a resume consisting of one career GS Quarter and still being ranked #2 (though she’ll likely drop several spots in the next few months).

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
She will get the advantage of getting night match after night match with singles (assume they’d end up on Ashe during the day in doubles on Saturday).

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Huge sharps vs. squares matchup here tonight…tons of square money being bet on Serena, yet the line has been trending in the other direction.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I watched through the beginning of the third set and Serena was visibly gassed. Her shots were just all over the place and Tomljanovic stayed steady. End to a tremendous career - she was always fun to watch.

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Jess Pegula with a nice win over Petra Kivitova to reach the her first quarterfinals of the US Open. Jess came back from being down 0-2 in the second set to win it 6-2. At first she wasn't able to handle the pace that Kivitova's shots were coming at her but adjusted quickly with a few racquet changes and served and returned solidly.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Tiafoe upsets Rafa for a spot in the QFs. Big win - he’s been beating on the door of the elites for a while; finally gets in. Fun to watch!

Reactions: dcf4psu and Nitwit

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
The mens bracket is going to be fun now with the number 1 and 2 seeded players out. It would be great to have an American champion (in both men and women if somehow Jess Pegula can hang in there). Tiafoe looks really strong.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Tonight is the first time in awhile I've watched tennis. Chris Evert's announcing skills are every bit as annoying as I remember.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Alas all my Delray Beach, FL hometown girls are out of the Open... Coco knocked out tonight, Serena the other day. Serena and Venus still in it via Doubles.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Alas all my Delray Beach, FL hometown girls are out of the Open... Coco knocked out tonight, Serena the other day. Serena and Venus still in it via Doubles.
The Williams sisters lost in the first round.

Reactions: Bwifan

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Francis Tiafoe with another big win to reach the men's Semis! Really love his game. You can see his confidence just growing. Incredible deft of hands when coming to the net on approaches. All the doubles he plays is paying dividends. Pulling hard for Jess Pegula to keep the American women's hopes alive tonight taking on Swiatek

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Francis Tiafoe with another big win to reach the men's Semis! Really love his game. You can see his confidence just growing. Incredible deft of hands when coming to the net on approaches. All the doubles he plays is paying dividends. Pulling hard for Jess Pegula to keep the American women's hopes alive tonight taking on Swiatek
Thought it was a pretty even match, but Tiafoe was able to pull out some key points early in both tiebreakers to frustrate Rublev, and picked up the key break in the 3rd.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I was sorry to see Danielle Collins from the US knocked out. Always a fun player to watch.View attachment 230274

Sabalenka with a bit of gamesmanship I thought. She fights back to win her game then immediately ices Collins (set to serve) by calling out the trainer (for a deep thigh rub). Collins wasn't too happy about it and I think it threw her off. Sabalenka is super annoying. And yes, the thigh rub is pretty sexy but still...

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Only thing better than a big night match at the Open is when you also get to hear Kader Nouni for 2 hours.