FC/OT: 2024 Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame Nominees…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Rather short list - 10 of the 15 are first time nominees…

• Mary J. Blige
  • Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Eric B. & Rakim
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Jane's Addiction
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Lenny Kravitz
  • Oasis
  • Sinéad O'Connor
  • Ozzy Osbourne
  • Sade
  • A Tribe Called Quest

To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. Ten out of 15 of the Nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including Mariah Carey, Cher, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & the Gang, Lenny Kravitz, Oasis, Sinéad O’Connor, Ozzy Osbourne and Sade.

“This remarkable list of Nominees reflects the diverse artists and music that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honors and celebrates,” said John Sykes, Chairman of the Rock &

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Rather short list - 10 of the 15 are first time nominees…

• Mary J. Blige
  • Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Eric B. & Rakim
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Jane's Addiction
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Lenny Kravitz
  • Oasis
  • Sinéad O'Connor
  • Ozzy Osbourne
  • Sade
  • A Tribe Called Quest

To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. Ten out of 15 of the Nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including Mariah Carey, Cher, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & the Gang, Lenny Kravitz, Oasis, Sinéad O’Connor, Ozzy Osbourne and Sade.

“This remarkable list of Nominees reflects the diverse artists and music that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honors and celebrates,” said John Sykes, Chairman of the Rock &
I can see
Mariah Carey
Cher
DMB
Foreigner
Frampton
Ozzy

easily from that list to enter

Not sure about the others for this year....

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
The Rock n Roll HOF jumped the shark many years ago. Why don’t they just start nominating classical musicians and composers as well as jazz artists and rename it the Music HOF.

Lots of influential bands and artists left out such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Buzzcocks, Dick Dale, etc. that were big in their ROCK genres and instead artists not considered by most as rock artists are either in the HOF or have been nominated. The HOF is a joke.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
The Rock n Roll HOF jumped the shark many years ago. Why don’t they just start nominating classical musicians and composers as well as jazz artists and rename it the Music HOF.

Lots of influential bands and artists left out such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Buzzcocks, Dick Dale, etc. that were big in their ROCK genres and instead artists not considered by most as rock artists are either in the HOF or have been nominated. The HOF is a joke.
This classic should be enough to get this dude in the HoF.....the song was banned on radio when it was released because the riff was going to incite violence...what could be more Rock N Roll than that?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Complaints about the rock and roll HOF lists are as predictable as complaints about the Super Bowl Halftime show…looking forward to those in about 10 hours.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I can see
Mariah Carey
Cher
DMB
Foreigner
Frampton
Ozzy

easily from that list to enter

Not sure about the others for this year....

I like:

DMB
Mariah Carey
Jane’s Addiction
Oasis
Ozzy

Sentimental fave is Sinead O’Connor but too little too late for the establishment to do anything to make up for their sh*t treatment of her when she was alive….

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I like:

DMB
Mariah Carey
Jane’s Addiction
Oasis
Ozzy

Sentimental fave is Sinead O’Connor but too little too late for the establishment to do anything to make up for their sh*t treatment of her when she was alive….
Agree about Oasis.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
DMB is a no brainer, but then again, they were a no brainer a couple of years ago when they won the fan vote.

Reactions: fearson05

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
I made a 4 hour trip to the R&R HOF a few years ago. It was the most boring place I've ever been to. It is basically a clothing exposition. Here is a jacket once worn by Paul Anka. Here is the costume that Prince wore in Denver. etc. etc. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
Why their hate for those that did stuff like this is beyond me. The combined age of these 3 at this filming was 57.

My favorite GFR song at a live performance. The way bands did things live back in the day - took a recorded song and added improvisation to it live. Most bands did this during that era - Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. This is Rock, and nothing done by Mariah Carey resembles this.

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
Does Oasis have a big enough body of work to even get in? - even though a fist fight between the brothers at the awards ceremony would be fun to see.

• Haha
Reactions: Nitt1300

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Does Oasis have a big enough body of work to even get in? - even though a fist fight between the brothers at the awards ceremony would be fun to see.
Fair point. Not sure if there is a set "standard" they did have 7 studio albums and the first 3 were fantastic. @Rotzc Boston had 6.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
How is Boston not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Not even nominated again...
Boston and Tom Schultz (lead singer) sued CBS for breach of contract. As such, the industry HATES Boston and they'll probably never get in.

R&R HoF always had an impossible task.

What is R&R? It is impossible to define. Plus, if you want to have ongoing Inductions, as R&R phases out, you have to open up the definition. I would argue that Cher or Mariah Carey, for example, are not R&R but "pop". And once you include pop, you start to include every top 40 performer, artist, singer, songwriter, etc. The other option is to not induct any new members that aren't rock bands or singers but then it would fall out of the media and waste away.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Black Crowes need to go before oasis.

The whole thing is doody in the first place. It's in Cleveland.

• Angry
Reactions: Obliviax

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
  • Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Ozzy Osbourne
Voters are allowed 7 picks. These would be mine. I could be persuaded to drop Cher, but she's had a hit in 5 or 6 different decades.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I didn't realize they had done that many albums - can't believe those 2 could have been in the same room for that long for all those recording sessions after they way they seem to hate each other now - brotherly love - not.
Yea their relationship makes Ray and Dave Davies look like a bunch of pikers.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Boston and Tom Schultz (lead singer) sued CBS for breach of contract. As such, the industry HATES Boston and they'll probably never get in.

R&R HoF always had an impossible task.

What is R&R? It is impossible to define. Plus, if you want to have ongoing Inductions, as R&R phases out, you have to open up the definition. I would argue that Cher or Mariah Carey, for example, are not R&R but "pop". And once you include pop, you start to include every top 40 performer, artist, singer, songwriter, etc. The other option is to not induct any new members that aren't rock bands or singers but then it would fall out of the media and waste away.
Tom Scholz was the lead guitarist and founder of Boston. The lead singer was Brad Delp.

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021
  • Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Ozzy Osbourne
Voters are allowed 7 picks. These would be mine. I could be persuaded to drop Cher, but she's had a hit in 5 or 6 different decades.

• Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Ozzy Osbourne
The fact that Cher wasn't a charter member of the HOF makes the whole thing a total farce.

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
REO Speedwagon was huge in the 70s and early 80s. Their lead guitar player - Gary Richrath - was one of the most underrated lead guitar players of all-time. REO, Journey and Van Halen were the top groups - or at least 3 of the top ones - during that era and I believe both Van Halen and Journey are in the RR HOF

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUwolf

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
  • Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Ozzy Osbourne

If I get seven I add Sinead O'Connor and Peter Frampton. I have zero doubt Eric B. & Rakim and Tribe Called Quest will get in though. Maybe Mary J. Blige too.

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
REO Speedwagon was huge in the 70s and early 80s. Their lead guitar player - Gary Richrath - was one of the most underrated lead guitar players of all-time. REO, Journey and Van Halen were the top groups - or at least 3 of the top ones - during that era and I believe both Van Halen and Journey are in the RR HOF
Was and and a big REO fan even after they went softer after Gary left - saw him play with the band near the end and you wouldn't even know it was the same person - alcoholism and an operation gone wrong really destroyed him.

Reactions: PSUwolf and bbb2021

bbb2021

Nov 14, 2021
Was and and a big REO fan even after they went softer after Gary left - saw him play with the band near the end and you wouldn't even know it was the same person - alcoholism and an operation gone wrong really destroyed him.
Yep, agree, definitely a different person at the end but before REO went soft, Richrath was the driving force behind that group. I still consider "Roll with the Changes' one of the very best RR songs of all-time

Reactions: PSUwolf

Latest posts