FC/OT: Are you able to get Blanton’s?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It’s extremely difficult to get in VA and I saw a bottle in DC for $200 (Buffalo Trace was $70). WTF.

Reactions: step.eng69

pioneerlion83

Oct 6, 2021
I scored my last bottle of Blantons at the Buffalo Trace Distillery Gift Shop. I haven't seen it here in MD, anywhere, in over a year. Places that used to run a wait list no longer do so because they are not getting any allocations, period.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Is it collectors? I know an absurd number of people who don’t drink bourbon (or do rarely) but have a sh*t ton of high end bottles. It’s crazy.

Bridge Four

May 5, 2022
It’s extremely difficult to get in VA and I saw a bottle in DC for $200 (Buffalo Trace was $70). WTF.
I am also in Virginia. The solution I've found is to join a patreon discord group for one of the many bourbon youtube channels. This has work very well for me. If you want more info feel free to DM. Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: Midnighter

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021
My everyday bourbon is Legent, and my occasional special bourbon is Rabbit Hole, and as far as the latter is concerned, I prefer it over Blanton's and Buffalo Trace. My top shelf has some Angel's Envy (sherry cask finish, not port cask) and Old Rip, but I would take Rabbit Hole over any of them on any day.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
People line up at our local premium Pa State liquor store at 6 am when they know Blanton’s will be in the store. Limit is 2 per
customer and some folks bring relatives with them. They get about 14-15 bottles and it’s sold out in about 10 minutes. Don’t know how they find out when it is coming. This info was relayed to me by frustrated store employees ( due to the inequity of the process). I have more success purchasing some things online at Mash & Grape. Just got the Kentucky Owl Takumi Edition and awaiting another bottle of Smoke Wagon and Woodinville Special Reserve. All were not ridiculously priced.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
My everyday bourbon is Legent, and my occasional special bourbon is Rabbit Hole, and as far as the latter is concerned, I prefer it over Blanton's and Buffalo Trace. My top shelf has some Angel's Envy (sherry cask finish, not port cask) and Old Rip, but I would take Rabbit Hole over any of them on any day.

I really like Belle Meade but haven't seen it around much; I've had Rabbit Hole and don't think it was worth (to me) the $80 price tag. I also prefer the Isaac Bowman port barrel finish to Angel's Envy (though I really like that too). Used to be a line of people on delivery days at our ABC store but VA now released emails daily about which stores will have 'special' releases to sell (so people can't predict the releases).

Reactions: BrucePa

Bridge Four

May 5, 2022
I really like Belle Meade but haven't seen it around much; I've had Rabbit Hole and don't think it was worth (to me) the $80 price tag. I also prefer the Isaac Bowman port barrel finish to Angel's Envy (though I really like that too). Used to be a line of people on delivery days at our ABC store but VA now released emails daily about which stores will have 'special' releases to sell (so people can't predict the releases).
People can't predict and are crashing their cars racing there.

I guarantee people are gonna start trying to guessing about stores and camping out when the BTACs start releasing.

BrucePa

Oct 12, 2021

I get those too -- I'm in Virginia. I participated in a tasting with the Rabbit Hole team and was impressed. They do all the little things, like char the oak barrels with oak fire, not propane like the others do. Their grain/corn percentage is stated on the bottle and sourced locally and organically. Every single item on the checklist of creating a nice bourbon, they clobber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar and Midnighter

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I've been sampling white whiskey - new labels are being added each time I go into the store here in NC.

Buffalo Trace, Dickel and Hudson are now all on the market. The best so far has been Silver Coyote White Whiskey out of Santa Fe. We drink a lot of Kentucky bourbons so I was surprised we liked it as much. Have had it served with a cube and also with a shot of Ginger ale.

Reactions: Tgar and Midnighter

nittanyfan333

Oct 6, 2021
i'm in NC and it's hard as hell to get here. Key is, go to rural county ABCs, spend some money over the course of a few weeks, build the relationship, then ask the person that works there if they have any allocated stuff in the back. My buddy was able to get multiple bottles of blantons that way. We're also on the distro for the NC liquor board for the county we live in, and they send an email out where the allocated bottles are going to go.

Blantons is a great bottle for RETAIL, but no way i'd ever pay secondary for it. not worth it. Plenty of good bottles out there for much better prices. Don't feed the hype

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
A local bar/restaurant (think of an slightly down scale Gingerbread Man if you remember it), has an attached liquor store and they always have it in stock. The two brothers that own this bar also own four others and do a tremendous volume of business, and so get quite an allocation as this is their only liquor store. They always have several bottles on hand.

I pay $130/bottle.

• Wow

udsig91

Nov 2, 2021
So much of Blantons is being shipped overseas it is extremely difficult to find anywhere, even in Louisville, KY…no body has it…if they get it, never more than 6 bottles and is gone within an hour.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I haven’t seen it on a shelf in Ohio in over 5 years. Honestly though, I don’t miss it. There are others at similar or lower price points I enjoy as much or more.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I haven’t seen it on a shelf in Ohio in over 5 years. Honestly though, I don’t miss it. There are others at similar or lower price points I enjoy as much or more.
Yes, I’ve had Blanton’s, Baker’s, Booker’s at around $50 a bottle (10 years ago) and Woodford Reserve holds its own.

Last edited:

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Belle Meade always in stock at Binny’s in Chicagoland. I forget it they ship to PA. Mine goes slowly - it’s a changeup for me as it seems so sweet and heavy that it leaves me feeling a little polluted, like Belgian tripels.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Smoke Wagon Unfiltered is excellent. Looking forward to trying the Woodinville Special Reserve. I’ll report back when it’s opened and tasted

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
i'm in NC and it's hard as hell to get here. Key is, go to rural county ABCs, spend some money over the course of a few weeks, build the relationship, then ask the person that works there if they have any allocated stuff in the back. My buddy was able to get multiple bottles of blantons that way. We're also on the distro for the NC liquor board for the county we live in, and they send an email out where the allocated bottles are going to go.

Blantons is a great bottle for RETAIL, but no way i'd ever pay secondary for it. not worth it. Plenty of good bottles out there for much better prices. Don't feed the hype

Agree - at the normal retail price of about $50-$60, it's a great value. But, I wouldn't pay more than that (same for Van Winkle 12 when I used to get it at the same price point). There is so much out there now it's fun to explore and try new things, The other thing I'm keenly aware of is counterfeit stuff that is remarkably easy to pull off and when I see the rarest stuff possible in many of the downtown DC stores, I get skeptical.

I've been sampling white whiskey - new labels are being added each time I go into the store here in NC.

Buffalo Trace, Dickel and Hudson are now all on the market. The best so far has been Silver Coyote White Whiskey out of Santa Fe. We drink a lot of Kentucky bourbons so I was surprised we liked it as much. Have had it served with a cube and also with a shot of Ginger ale.

Is this 'white' as in unaged? Newer distilleries in VA always have that available because it's quickest to get to market. I'll have to pick one of the national brands up one day but I wasn't a fan when I had the local stuff.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Collectors of Blanton’s? That’s crazy. It’s not THAT good.

Guy at the DC liquor store said ‘millennials love Blanton’s’….

do not know schitts creek GIF by CBC

• Haha
Reactions: ODShowtime

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Agree - at the normal retail price of about $50-$60, it's a great value. But, I wouldn't pay more than that (same for Van Winkle 12 when I used to get it at the same price point). There is so much out there now it's fun to explore and try new things, The other thing I'm keenly aware of is counterfeit stuff that is remarkably easy to pull off and when I see the rarest stuff possible in many of the downtown DC stores, I get skeptical.

Is this 'white' as in unaged? Newer distilleries in VA always have that available because it's quickest to get to market. I'll have to pick one of the national brands up one day but I wasn't a fan when I had the local stuff.
It is unaged. I was unsure what to make of it but our realtor in NM suggested it after we discussed bourbons. He was right -- Silver Coyote is very good, just a bit of burn, some fruit and nuttiness, making for a complex whiskey experience.

From a review:
Silver Coyote, bottled unaged at 92 Proof, combines Scottish yeast with European and American barley malts. At first, there is little to distinguish it from other white whiskeys: the nose of grainy, stone-splashed spring water is common to white whiskeys, though the barley notes are more mellow than their corn, wheat or rye counterparts.

The flavor is a warm steel-cut oatmeal topped with fresh fruit. It’s smooth, but not creamy: the texture is nuttier. Rounding out finish that shares the earthy quality with other white whiskeys but is distinguished by a malty charm, a blossom of flavor yields a taste of anis, fresh parsley, and red raspberries.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Collectors of Blanton’s? That’s crazy. It’s not THAT good.
There are some Blanton's that are collectible. My wife picked up a bottle of Original Sin a few years back while we were there. Now, the prices are insane but back then it was half or less for some of the bottles I see online now. Black and Red Label collectibles are unbelievably expensive when you consider that at one time you could buy for $150.00 in KY. Now they are $1k.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
There are some Blanton's that are collectible. My wife picked up a bottle of Original Sin a few years back while we were there. Now, the prices are insane but back then it was half or less for some of the bottles I see online now. Black and Red Label collectibles are unbelievably expensive when you consider that at one time you could buy for $150.00 in KY. Now they are $1k.
It’s bourbon and reasonably mass produced bourbon at that.

WEP6-12

Nov 1, 2021
I was on the Bourbon Trail in early October. Saw a bottle of Blanton’s in Bardstown for $139 and one in Lawrenceburg for $211 (not a typo).

Hartzie

Oct 31, 2021
It is unaged. I was unsure what to make of it but our realtor in NM suggested it after we discussed bourbons. He was right -- Silver Coyote is very good, just a bit of burn, some fruit and nuttiness, making for a complex whiskey experience.

From a review:
Silver Coyote, bottled unaged at 92 Proof, combines Scottish yeast with European and American barley malts. At first, there is little to distinguish it from other white whiskeys: the nose of grainy, stone-splashed spring water is common to white whiskeys, though the barley notes are more mellow than their corn, wheat or rye counterparts.

The flavor is a warm steel-cut oatmeal topped with fresh fruit. It’s smooth, but not creamy: the texture is nuttier. Rounding out finish that shares the earthy quality with other white whiskeys but is distinguished by a malty charm, a blossom of flavor yields a taste of anis, fresh parsley, and red raspberries.
white whiskey=moonshine