FC/OT: Article says Franklin tried to interfere with team doctors…

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
BUMP UP

IIRC, possibly not, read some article or language there was some disagreement or argument between them being that Seabass was the chosen one while Joe had the program.
According to O'Brien, Joyner asked him to evaluate the entire football program and make recommendations. Would O'Brien make recommendation to oust Sebastianelli? Yes and no (and these are suppositions on my part). Yes, O'Brien is plagued with believing that he's smarter than everyone else, so.... On the other hand, O'Brien had nothing but good things to say about the medical coverage for the team before the change was made and he wasn't in a position to pick a replacement. Finally, Joyner should have told O'Brien that medical coverage was not O'Brien;s call (which O'Brien later found out from someone else).

Believe it was known that Joyner and Sebastianelli did not get along. Put five and five together and you have..... If that's not enough, O'Brien realized after the fact that he was played.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Oka
According to O'Brien, Joyner asked him to evaluate the entire football program and make recommendations. Would O'Brien make recommendation to oust Sebastianelli? Yes and no (and these are suppositions on my part). Yes, O'Brien is plagued with believing that he's smarter than everyone else, so.... On the other hand, O'Brien had nothing but good things to say about the medical coverage for the team before the change was made and he wasn't in a position to pick a replacement. Finally, Joyner should have told O'Brien that medical coverage was not O'Brien;s call (which O'Brien later found out from someone else).

Believe it was known that Joyner and Sebastianelli did not get along. Put five and five together and you have..... If that's not enough, O'Brien realized after the fact that he was played.
Nice theory.

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
Barkley and Trace to testify on behalf of defense to counter testimony about recklessly pushing players back into games. This is getting really interesting

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Barkley and Trace to testify on behalf of defense to counter testimony about recklessly pushing players back into games. This is getting really interesting
Maybe I missed something but I didn’t see any report of any testimony from Lynch or any other witness that Lynch didn’t exercise his medical judgment in any case because of what he claims was Franklin’s meddling.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Bottom line is we don't know the exact story because we are only hearing one side.

I think I can confidently say a few things:
  1. It's normal for coaches to push for their star players to be able to play.
  2. Back in Joe's day is was customary for coaches to have more say.
  3. These days the medical staffs have more say.
So if Joe tried to exert more control it would be somewhat understandable because that's the environment he grew up in. It's also why he ran into trouble with people like Vicky Triponey at the end of his career. Franklin is much younger and should be more accustomed to independent medical or student affairs staff having authority. That doesn't mean he won't argue with these people because I'm sure all coaches do. The question is did he cross the line?

I remember Joe saying you can play hurt but you can't play injured. That's probably where the judgement/arguments come into play.

Reactions: ODShowtime

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
Verdict is in and Dave Joyner is laughing.
Can this caxe become a precedent for other college teams, regardless of the sports, for doctors and staff, to sue Head Coaches more easily for interference of medical treatments or is this only a PSU case and issue?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Can this caxe become a precedent for other college teams, regardless of the sports, for doctors and staff, to sue Head Coaches more easily for interference of medical treatments or is this only a PSU case and issue?
The thing is he sued his employer for wrongful termination yet he still has a job with said employer. He's just a tool appointed by Joyner that had an ax to grind with the new regime. (Sandy, CJF, etc.)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Our student run outlets are borderline National Inquirier.

Was the first story I saw - bigger outlets have it too. Think the lesson here is - and Shilo Sanders can confirm - if you’re being accused of something in court, show up to defend yourself. Certainly nothing to lose…

Reactions: WestSideLion

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Was the first story I saw - bigger outlets have it too. Think the lesson here is - and Shilo Sanders can confirm - if you’re being accused of something in court, show up to defend yourself. Certainly nothing to lose…
The case wasn't against Franklin. It was against Penn State Health.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Sure, but why did Franklin ask McSorley and Barkley to testify on his behalf?

It’s like being on trial for mass murder of 33 people, and asking a couple bystanders to testify that you didn’t shoot them too?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Sure, but why did Franklin ask McSorley and Barkley to testify on his behalf?

I'd assume is was because the Penn State Health defense wanted two of the biggest stars while Lynch was there to testify that it didn't happen. Trace probably checked with CJF and his lawyer to see if it was the right thing to do or not. I may be wrong but I doubt CJF reached out to he and Saquon.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
There just isn’t much to like about Penn State Football, is there? This judgment, an ill-timed and ill-conceived $700 MM expenditure on the stadium, NIL horse-a$$, transfer portal horse-a$$, 10-2 (or worse). All kinds of f*ck us.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I guess you usually don’t know what high-profile people are like off-camera, but Franklin just doesn’t strike me as someone who would put a player’s health in jeopardy.

Maybe Franklin is just Bud Kilmer, without all of the championships or the statue. 😞

Reactions: Bison13

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I'd assume is was because the Penn State Health defense wanted two of the biggest stars while Lynch was there to testify that it didn't happen. Trace probably checked with CJF and his lawyer to see if it was the right thing to do or not. I may be wrong but I doubt CJF reached out to he and Saquon.

Ok, but my point was McSorley said Franklin asked him to testify. I get why he would be selected, but Penn State Health didn’t ask him - Franklin did.

“Coach Franklin reached out about me being here today,” McSorley testified. “I respect Coach Franklin a lot. I wanted to be here.”

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Ok, but my point was McSorley said Franklin asked him to testify. I get why he would be selected, but Penn State Health didn’t ask him - Franklin did.

“Coach Franklin reached out about me being here today,” McSorley testified. “I respect Coach Franklin a lot. I wanted to be here.”

Besides McSorley being a high-profile player under Franklin, McSorley took plenty of A$$. BEATINGS. o_O during his time at PSU. There were plenty of opportunities for Franklin to pressure McSorley to play hurt. So, McSorley testifying on Franklin’s behalf says something. Then again, there’s Robert Windsor. 😞

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Besides McSorley being a high-profile player under Franklin, McSorley took plenty of A$$. BEATINGS. o_O during his time at PSU. There were plenty of opportunities for Franklin to pressure McSorley to play hurt. So, McSorley testifying on Franklin’s behalf says something. Then again, there’s Robert Windsor. 😞

I don't disagree, but Franklin is the guy being named as the problem. No reason he can't or shouldn't defend himself. I guess if Penn State was thinking putting him out there could make things worse, they now have five million reasons that suggest otherwise.....

Reactions: BobPSU92

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

Better yet, I wonder why Lynch's attorneys didn't put Franklin on the stand? What could go wrong? 😏

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Forgive my ignorance, but wasn’t Franklin and Penn State University dismissed from the lawsuit in 2020? Therefore, the lawsuit’s main defendant was Penn State Health, no? If so, Franklin had no skin in the game here and zero reason to testify, correct? It seems the only angle the lawsuit had was against Franklin, but he was out of the mix, so why is he still the main story in lawsuit?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
For me, I kind of dislike Franklin less after reading through all the coverage. Certainly I think this guy who filed the lawsuit is a gigantic pusssy.

I don't doubt that most if not all coaches butt heads with medical staff, but how many are fired because of it (which appears to be the case here)? Not a good look and Franklin is starting to pile these up (incident at Vanderbilt, now this....).

Reactions: Ironman2

Latest posts