FC/OT: Caitlin Clark signs rookie contract!

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I think you’re trying way too hard. The fact that height plays a huge role in whether someone plays in the NBA is not really debatable and certainly shouldn’t be a controversial take.

Right, I never said that it wasn't, that's a straw man. What I've argued is (1) being tall itself isnt enough to be determinative as has been essentially asserted, and (2) every major sport requires a born-with trait, so why does the NBA trait ruin the sport, but NFL quickness or MLB hand-eye coordination, for example, doesn't. If inherent traits are offensive, they should all be.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Basketball is the only sport where height, in addition to length, is a component. Trying to make false equivalencies between speed and size on a football field to height on a basketball court is humorous. They’re not at all comparable. Someone like Manute Bol, who was 7’6”, could have a 12 year career in the NBA because he was tall. He played one year of college basketball. The same isn’t true for football because being big isn’t enough - you need to have good footwork, strength, and technique. There are hundreds of ‘looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane’ types in the NFL who couldn’t cut it. In basketball height makes up for a LOT of other deficiencies.

Yeah, picking one anecdotal example of the tallest guy to ever play and was a career bench player really proves your point....

Name the top 50 guys in the NBA who aren't skilled, they're just tall? Name one guy who was an all-star or made an all-NBA team just because they're tall, without other elite skill level and athleticism. You've convinced yourself something exists that doesn't, and won't hear otherwise.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Yeah, picking one anecdotal example of the tallest guy to ever play and was a career bench player really proves your point....

Name the top 50 guys in the NBA who aren't skilled, they're just tall? Name one guy who was an all-star or made an all-NBA team just because they're tall, without other elite skill level and athleticism. You've convinced yourself something exists that doesn't, and won't hear otherwise.

You’ve convinced yourself speed and strength in football is the same as height in basketball so moving on….

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
You’ve convinced yourself speed and strength in football is the same as height in basketball so moving on….

Ok, if you ever want to circle back I'll be eager for that list of top 50-100 nba players that are just tall and lack skill and athleticism. Should be really easy for you since height alone is so determinative.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Ok, if you ever want to circle back I'll be eager for that list of top 50-100 nba players that are just tall and lack skill and athleticism. Should be really easy for you since height alone is so determinative.
I guess the bigger question is how many of the tall guys that are in the top 50-100 would be there if they were 5’10? Almost every life story of just about any NBA player talks about how much they loved the game and how hard they worked when they were younger (then luckily they hit a growth spurt at some point). We won’t see the millions of life stories of the guys with the same talent, same love of the game, and same work ethic who didn’t get lucky and hit that growth spurt.

Reactions: Midnighter

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I guess the bigger question is how many of the tall guys that are in the top 50-100 would be there if they were 5’10? Almost every life story of just about any NBA player talks about how much they loved the game and how hard they worked when they were younger (then luckily they hit a growth spurt at some point). We won’t see the millions of life stories of the guys with the same talent, same love of the game, and same work ethic who didn’t get lucky and hit that growth spurt.

I guess the even bigger question is why don’t we see more Doug Fluties in the NFL after they hit their growth spurt in Canada.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021

You’re of course right that they don’t succeed if they were 5’10”, but beating a dead horse here, this is true in every sport as to some trait(s).

Lack of effort and drive is not the reason I’m not in the NFL. You will never be a professional athlete in any sport unless you happened to be born with certain traits. They are different traits in each sport and position, but you’re either born capable of being a pro athlete or you aren’t, no matter how bad you want it or try. For some reason when that trait is height, it ruins the sport for some. I just don’t get it.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Shaquille O’Neal. He was 1/22 in three pointers for his entire career. He’s a career 52% free throw shooter. Yet he made almost 60% of his field goals. You can guess why.

Reactions: PSU87

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
The NBA used to have short players like Spud Webb, Mugsy Bouges, and Calvin Murphy playing guard. These days there are 6'8" guards who shoot a high percentage from 3 pt range. Those older guards couldn't defend today's taller guards.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The NBA used to have short players like Spud Webb, Mugsy Bouges, and Calvin Murphy playing guard. These days there are 6'8" guards who shoot a high percentage from 3 pt range. Those older guards couldn't defend today's taller guards.
Which is why Mac McClung can’t stick in the NBA. He’s just not long enough.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Size is also important in football. How many 5'7" QBs or DTs on P5 football teams?

It is important; I never said it wasn't. I said height in basketball is unique because it's value is so disproportionate to everything else and can overcompensate for lack of elite skill. You can be tall and of average skill and still do well in the NBA. That is not true in any other sport. A tall QB with no accuracy or arm strength won't last. A slow RB won't last. A fast one who can't catch or break tackles won't either. A big DT with no technique or slow feet won't last either. A 7' guy with average skill can get by in college and the NBA. Now, make a 7' player with elite skills and he's unstoppable (and boring to watch). Sue me.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
You’re of course right that they don’t succeed if they were 5’10”, but beating a dead horse here, this is true in every sport as to some trait(s).

Lack of effort and drive is not the reason I’m not in the NFL. You will never be a professional athlete in any sport unless you happened to be born with certain traits. They are different traits in each sport and position, but you’re either born capable of being a pro athlete or you aren’t, no matter how bad you want it or try. For some reason when that trait is height, it ruins the sport for some. I just don’t get it.
Agreed, but I look at it more from a high school/college level…many guys are playing at those levels who are not good basketball players, but they’re just tall. That won’t happen in other sports. My son played basketball against a kid who was 6’11 and terrible, but he got a college scholarship. That wouldn’t happen in any other sport. I think that’s kind of the point that was being made about basketball compared to other sports. In all other sports you have to be good to play at the college level, but not in basketball, you just have to be really tall.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Agreed, but I look at it more from a high school/college level…many guys are playing at those levels who are not good basketball players, but they’re just tall. That won’t happen in other sports. My son played basketball against a kid who was 6’11 and terrible, but he got a college scholarship. That wouldn’t happen in any other sport. I think that’s kind of the point that was being made about basketball compared to other sports. In all other sports you have to be good to play at the college level, but not in basketball, you just have to be really tall.

Fair point on being able to have success at that level just be virtue of height. I thought the conversation was just about NBA and why it’s unwatchable to Midnighter. I’d certainly concede it at lower levels.

Latest posts