FC/OT: For the Stalions conspiracists….

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I'm glad Connor Stalions (is that a real name btw?) made it to the Rose Bowl. He deserved to be there.

Reactions: Catch1lion

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
I'm glad Connor Stalions (is that a real name btw?) made it to the Rose Bowl. He deserved to be there.
Muddling job, got fired, probably unemployed and yet he still has the money to burn, and emotional support for the team that fired him. Wouldn't be the typical response. Hmm :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
So, I ran this whole sign stealing business by a sports fan in Europe and the response was so what, the team is scouting an upcoming opponent what's the big deal. I have been thinking about that statement. Not sure how coaching staffs scout opposing teams these days but I am sure they don't wait until the week before to scout teams. In the ultra competitive environment of college football what coaching staff would keep the same signs from game to game so that they can be stolen(or just used against them)? They could use video broadcasts and coaches films to steal signs if they wanted to. Unless this Stalions dude has a photographic memory or is carrying a hidden camera to get views from behind the seats or sidelines how could he just be sitting or standing there stealing signs. Is it really stealing or just learning/scouting what an opponents tendencies are? Way back before all this fancy video technology we used to track/chart opponents tendencies and player personnel to anticipate what play they will most likely run. We had volunteer scouts who would go a video tape games from the stands because we wanted more then just the previous weeks game tape exchange. Also, the scene in Remember the Titans where the head coach hands data/charts to the asst head coach about an upcoming opponents tendencies on what they run in certain situations? How is this sign stealing different? We used to look at the opposing sidelines to see who was calling plays because some teams had a coach that would call pass plays and a different coach would call run plays, the player would stand with either coach and depending which coach they came from we knew exactly if it was run or pass and knew would defensive front and coverage to call.

Don't get me wrong, I despise scUM and their fan base but I think the whole sign stealing stuff is being over sensationalized by the media and what not. I sort of recall there are league rules about this(Didn't belicheat get caught with this in New England especially after they cheated against the Eagles??). Like I stated above, if you are using the same signs to call in your plays from week to week you are just a dumb coaching staff, yeah I know changing them would be tough on the players yada yada but if you want to be competitive you need to raise your game and figure out a better way so the opposing team can't pick up on your signs during the game or while scouting you, or better yet, go back to calling plays in the huddle and have a player run in and out delivering them. Nothing to steal that way. I never liked this line up on the ball and then adjust your play depending how the defense lines up. I like coming out of the huddle in a different formation and making them adjust before the snap of the ball because there would be less time for them to adjust if your offense in already on the ball and ready to go then standing around making minor adjustments to the formations based on the audible.

Reactions: Midnighter

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
So, I ran this whole sign stealing business by a sports fan in Europe and the response was so what, the team is scouting an upcoming opponent what's the big deal. I have been thinking about that statement. Not sure how coaching staffs scout opposing teams these days but I am sure they don't wait until the week before to scout teams. In the ultra competitive environment of college football what coaching staff would keep the same signs from game to game so that they can be stolen(or just used against them)? They could use video broadcasts and coaches films to steal signs if they wanted to. Unless this Stalions dude has a photographic memory or is carrying a hidden camera to get views from behind the seats or sidelines how could he just be sitting or standing there stealing signs. Is it really stealing or just learning/scouting what an opponents tendencies are? Way back before all this fancy video technology we used to track/chart opponents tendencies and player personnel to anticipate what play they will most likely run. We had volunteer scouts who would go a video tape games from the stands because we wanted more then just the previous weeks game tape exchange. Also, the scene in Remember the Titans where the head coach hands data/charts to the asst head coach about an upcoming opponents tendencies on what they run in certain situations? How is this sign stealing different? We used to look at the opposing sidelines to see who was calling plays because some teams had a coach that would call pass plays and a different coach would call run plays, the player would stand with either coach and depending which coach they came from we knew exactly if it was run or pass and knew would defensive front and coverage to call.

Don't get me wrong, I despise scUM and their fan base but I think the whole sign stealing stuff is being over sensationalized by the media and what not. I sort of recall there are league rules about this(Didn't belicheat get caught with this in New England especially after they cheated against the Eagles??). Like I stated above, if you are using the same signs to call in your plays from week to week you are just a dumb coaching staff, yeah I know changing them would be tough on the players yada yada but if you want to be competitive you need to raise your game and figure out a better way so the opposing team can't pick up on your signs during the game or while scouting you, or better yet, go back to calling plays in the huddle and have a player run in and out delivering them. Nothing to steal that way. I never liked this line up on the ball and then adjust your play depending how the defense lines up. I like coming out of the huddle in a different formation and making them adjust before the snap of the ball because there would be less time for them to adjust if your offense in already on the ball and ready to go then standing around making minor adjustments to the formations based on the audible.
Reports that he orchestrated an elaborate scheme to place unnamed associates of his in stadiums of Michigan’s opponents to scout and, in some cases, film opposing coaches’ signals (both acts very much against the NCAA rules). They used cell phones or other video recording devices. There are extensive texts, and ticket purchases detailing the operation.
The NCAA does not consider Scouting opponents illegal, with a significant exception. According to the NCAA Bylaws 11.6.1, “Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited.
Also in reading about this case, it is not so easy to simply change signs game to game. One of the reasons why the NFL uses helmet microphones.

Last edited:

mr.michigan

Feb 28, 2022

Don't get me wrong, I despise scUM and their fan base but I think the whole sign stealing stuff is being over sensationalized by the media and what not. I sort of recall there are league rules about this(Didn't belicheat get caught with this in New England especially after they cheated against the Eagles??). Like I stated above, if you are using the same signs to call in your plays from week to week you are just a dumb coaching staff, yeah I know changing them would be tough on the players yada yada but if you want to be competitive you need to raise your game and figure out a better way so the opposing team can't pick up on your signs during the game or while scouting you, or better yet, go back to calling plays in the huddle and have a player run in and out delivering them. Nothing to steal that way. I never liked this line up on the ball and then adjust your play depending how the defense lineis up. I like coming out of the huddle in a different formation and making them adjust before the snap of the ball because there would be less time for them to adjust if your offense in already on the ball and ready to go then standing around making minor adjustments to the formations based on the audible.
The overeaction to this "story" is going to age about as well as some of the predictions on this board going into Monday's game. Its not really indictment on college football fans in general though. Its really only the jealous Big Ten fans still making anything of it. Even the ESPN guys have mostly backed off it.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
The overeaction to this "story" is going to age about as well as some of the predictions on this board going into Monday's game. Its not really indictment on college football fans in general though. Its really only the jealous Big Ten fans still making anything of it. Even the ESPN guys have mostly backed off it.

Congratulations on your win.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Reports that he orchestrated an elaborate scheme to place unnamed associates of his in stadiums of Michigan’s opponents to scout and, in some cases, film opposing coaches’ signals (both acts very much against the NCAA rules). They used cell phones or other video recording devices. There are extensive texts, and ticket purchases detailing the operation.
The NCAA does not consider Scouting opponents illegal, with a significant exception. According to the NCAA Bylaws 11.6.1, “Off-campus, in-person scouting of future opponents (in the same season) is prohibited.
Also in reading about this case, it is not so easy to simply change signs game to game. One of the reasons why the NFL uses helmet microphones.
1704313036713.png

• Haha
Reactions: Catch1lion

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I find it funny that they think they knew exactly what was coming, considering on other boards, they describe the play as an RPO, where if the snap was better, and the quarterback didn’t choke because of it, that the back going out to the left flat would’ve been wide open and able to score.

Catch1lion

Oct 12, 2021
“We called three plays,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “One they called timeout, one we called timeout and the last one that didn’t work. The fact that it didn’t work made it a really bad call. You know what I mean? But we called timeout because we had a bad look. We had a good look on the first one. They must have known it.”

Reactions: VaDave4PSU

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I find it funny that they think they knew exactly what was coming, considering on other boards, they describe the play as an RPO, where if the snap was better, and the quarterback didn’t choke because of it, that the back going out to the left flat would’ve been wide open and able to score.
Actually, all Milroe had to do was run to the left as the line was sealed and the DE was left unblocked and he would have walked into the EZ. Only problem was another crappy snap.

Reactions: Bison13

mr.michigan

Feb 28, 2022
Actually, all Milroe had to do was run to the left as the line was sealed and the DE was left unblocked and he would have walked into the EZ. Only problem was another crappy snap.

No way...Sainristel blows that **** up

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

Yeah, even I can see the lane on the left. Good googly moogly.