FC/OT: Penn State updates student season ticket process…

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
I have no idea how this will work out. But something needed to be done.
Since going to the "e-tickets" bit, the student ticket process has been an abject cluster - by every conceivable measure. Hard to imagine one could create a more f-ed up system if they tried really hard.
So this, one would think, even if it is poorly rolled out could hardly help but to be somewhat better. Time will tell. Fingers crossed for the students.

(FWIW: This would not have been the system I would have recommended - not my responsibility, of course. Something more like the OSU set up - where they more or less divide the season into "1/2 season" tickets might, I think, have been a better route. But no system is perfect, given the metrics involved. Gonna' be some unhappy campers no matter what methods are employed. Ya' just hope that the folks involved show competency with the roll out and management of whatever system you go with.)

Reactions: Midnighter

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
$246/7 = $35.14

Is that expensive enough for our Penn State? Seems kind of cheap. How does it compare to other b1g schools?

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
Ohio State student tickets run $37 per game. Michigan is at $27 (and I think Michigan does some kind of discount for lower income students - though I am not sure exactly how they manage that)

Not sure about the others. Historically PSU/OSU were the highest priced in the Big Ten - but I have no idea where the new Big Ten schools fit into that pricing schedule.

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Michigan is about $29 (all in). OSU is $38-40.

Ohio State student tickets run $37 per game. Michigan is at $27 (and I think Michigan does some kind of discount for lower income students - though I am not sure exactly how they manage that)

Not sure about the others. Historically PSU/OSU were the highest priced in the Big Ten - but I have no idea where the new Big Ten schools fit into that pricing schedule.

Thanks. PSU has some work to do to surpass T™️osu.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
There is no perfect solution, but I do hate the lottery approach. It's going to be too easy now for a die-hard fan at University park to be shut out in favor of a kid at a branch campus that has no interest in going to games and is just looking to make a profit. I'd also hate the approach of splitting games half, and kids only being able to get tickets for half of the games, since it also shuts out those that really care about them.

I'd love for them to a) find a way to reward those that do go to every (or most) games, and penalize those that only got to a few and sell the rest. Obviously doesn't work with Freshman, but I hate the thought of some students profiting off tickets while those that really want them lose out in the lottery. And also b) make it more difficult to sell/transfer tickets to the bigger games. Let the university control the resale market for those games, and again, try to take away the incentive for buying tickets just to sell them and make a profit.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
With last years system, I know there were students that would buy tickets just to resell them preventing students from getting tickets. The lottery should be only for UP students first. Were non-UP students permitted to buy tickets thru the old system? I am a World Campus Grad Student, I don't have a campus, and I was able to purchase tickets the past few seasons via the old system so I am guessing the commonwealth campus students were able to purchase thru the old system as well. I think that every student that wants to purchase a ticket should be able to purchase a ticket and they just expand the student section as needed. Also, student tickets should only be permitted to be transferred to other students with student accounts.

Reactions: FHSPSU67

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
With last years system, I know there were students that would buy tickets just to resell them preventing students from getting tickets. The lottery should be only for UP students first. Were non-UP students permitted to buy tickets thru the old system? I am a World Campus Grad Student, I don't have a campus, and I was able to purchase tickets the past few seasons via the old system so I am guessing the commonwealth campus students were able to purchase thru the old system as well. I think that every student that wants to purchase a ticket should be able to purchase a ticket and they just expand the student section as needed. Also, student tickets should only be permitted to be transferred to other students with student accounts.
University Park students are treated the same as non-University Park students when it comes to getting tickets. And it's simply not realistic to just make student tickets available to any student that wants them. You could be looking at 31k students wanting them, and needing to expand the student section by another 10k seats. That is a HUGE shortfall in revenue...and a LOT of empty seats you'd see in the stadium every week for the non-really big games.

PSUFTG2

Jul 1, 2023
I think that every student that wants to purchase a ticket should be able to purchase a ticket and they just expand the student section as needed.
You are certainly not the first to posit that option.

That said - where do you make up for the lost revenue (would depend on exactly how many applied - but would easily be in the $10 Million+ level, maybe 2-3 times that, even if 1/2 of all students wanted them). And if lets say 3/4 of all students do opt in, you reduce your general admission/alumni seating to maybe 20,000 or so? You would also be playing the Thanksgiving weekend game in front of, essentially, a 1/2 empty stadium.

You also have the issue of, if you were to implement that - having no idea from one year to the next of just how many general admission/alumni tickets you have available.

I do like the idea of putting "students first" - but I think it is clearly untenable to "guarantee" tickets to every student who wants them.
No easy answers. For sure.

One thing that i think might help is to do 1/2 season packages (split up the games relatively equally, each package with a couple dogs and also a solid game or two). Then do the lottery - and those who don't get "Package A" are then first in line for "Package B".... and whatever are left over (if any) are back to being available for any student (so some might get both packages..... or not, depending on demand.)
But, in any event, you either get some tickets for everyone, or at least double the amount of students who get a "partial".

GoNavy

Oct 28, 2021
My kid is pissed... Senior who has been to every game - we have also had season tickets during his time, What was wrong with the old system? If you wanted tickets, get up early and get it done. This is going to randomly shut out a bunch of kids that care about football and want to attend the games for kids that are looking to turn a few bucks.

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
You are certainly not the first to posit that option.

That said - where do you make up for the lost revenue (would depend on exactly how many applied - but would easily be in the $10 Million+ level, maybe 2-3 times that, even if 1/2 of all students wanted them). And if lets say 3/4 of all students do opt in, you reduce your general admission/alumni seating to maybe 20,000 or so? You would also be playing the Thanksgiving weekend game in front of, essentially, a 1/2 empty stadium.

You also have the issue of, if you were to implement that - having no idea from one year to the next of just how many general admission/alumni tickets you have available.

I do like the idea of putting "students first" - but I think it is clearly untenable to "guarantee" tickets to every student who wants them.
No easy answers. For sure.

One thing that i think might help is to do 1/2 season packages (split up the games relatively equally, each package with a couple dogs and also a solid game or two). Then do the lottery - and those who don't get "Package A" are then first in line for "Package B".... and whatever are left over (if any) are back to being available for any student (so some might get both packages..... or not, depending on demand.)
But, in any event, you either get some tickets for everyone, or at least double the amount of students who get a "partial".
Why not apply 1st come first served based on *** GPA?

Tiers per day 4.0 to 3.7 day 1 etc......

The real eggheads may not care about football enough to even try but maybe its enough incentive to actually do school for the students?? Making those gentelman C's who like to party sweat it out a bit

Radical I know... just fanning the flames here:devilish:

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
What was wrong with the old system? If you wanted tickets, get up early and get it done.
TicketMaster is a complete and abysmal clusterF. It happened too many times where kids/students would be in the queue for tickets and then they were suddenly kicked out of the (on-line) line. I think the lottery is worse, but getting up early wasn’t the problem