FC: Penn State Football Player Accused of Assaulting Tow Truck Driver

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
No, it wasn't legitimate. The second Carter said he'd pay the drop fee it should have been over. I'm sure it was quite heated before then but assuming he actually agreed to pay, which the video may confirm one way or the other, the driver should have settled down.
Is that why Carter grabbed the driver, picked him up and put him down on the ground - to help him settle down?

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
He is parked at a student housing complex not even in downtown State College. It is massive. There are 600+ residents there (all students). I assume it is a lot like State College Park, which is where I lived one year while at Penn State. If he was 'illegally' parked at such a facility, they seriously do not have enough guest parking spots. And yeah, he's still a student even if he can pay the tow. They probably saw $$$$ when they saw the car he had.
Why aren’t you mad at the housing complexes that hire these towing companies and tell them to immediately tow if they do not have the proper permit?

You act like these tow companies just randomly come on these properties without permission and just randomly tow.

To continue to be the devil’s advocate, what course other than towing do these housing complexes have? Not line PD is going to come ticket, plus that does not remove the issue of a car being there without proper permit.

Now maybe some have ample parking, but many sell a permit for every spot they have. If 1-2 cars are parked there without permission, then 1-2 people that paid to park there are screwed.

Let’s all be realistic as well. Most students don’t give a F and will park anywhere and everywhere without giving a f if it detrimentally impacts someone else.

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Can I call a tow truck to remove your car from my yard if you're parked there? Probably best if I call the cops. They may want a reasonable effort to find out who owns the vehicle before calling a tow company. You know, like civilized adults.
lol. PD have more important things to do than go to housing complexes to see if they can find out who a vehicle belongs to. Not to mention, they would be doing it ALL THE TIME.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
When the driver had to tell the muscular athletic person to back off?

Carter blocked him from entering the car, driver escalated it. Driver should have taken payment when Carter offered instead of asking for name and address (which is not needed).

—-

After Carter refused to provide the information, police wrote, the driver resumed the process of hooking up the car for towing. As the driver returned to the tow truck, Carter told him he was going to call 911 and used his forearm to block the driver from getting inside, according to the affidavit.

The driver, police wrote, grabbed a metal bar off the back of the truck and yelled at Carter to back away, which he did. When the driver got inside the tow truck, witness video showed that Carter wrapped his arms around the man’s abdomen and forcefully pulled multiple times to break his grip from the steering wheel, according to the affidavit.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Carter blocked him from entering the car, driver escalated it. Driver should have taken payment when Carter offered instead of asking for name and address (which is not needed).

—-

After Carter refused to provide the information, police wrote, the driver resumed the process of hooking up the car for towing. As the driver returned to the tow truck, Carter told him he was going to call 911 and used his forearm to block the driver from getting inside, according to the affidavit.

The driver, police wrote, grabbed a metal bar off the back of the truck and yelled at Carter to back away, which he did. When the driver got inside the tow truck, witness video showed that Carter wrapped his arms around the man’s abdomen and forcefully pulled multiple times to break his grip from the steering wheel, according to the affidavit.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Carter blocking him from entering the truck escalated it. The tow truck driver retaliated. He was well within his LEGAL rights, regardless of whether you think he escalated anything.

It's quite possible the driver couldn't take payment without getting some personal information as part of his job (not as part of the law). It's a CYA move, and creates an information trail. Otherwise, the transaction is "off the books" and it's possible the incident could be used against him, and he has no documentation.

Carter could have simply called 911 ... let the tow truck driver do his thing, call the cops, take down the company info (side of truck, most likely) and the license plate of the truck, and let them handle it. Instead he escalated it in a non-legal way.

And, regardless, let's say things were inappropriately ... even if legally ... escalated with the metal bar. The tow truck driver not using it, and getting in his truck to leave would have de-escalated things. He wasn't going to go after Carter ... he was leaving.

The tow truck driver was allowed to leave ... Carter was not allowed to, first, impede him and, second, grab him and throw him down as he was leaving. The metal bar is irrelevant to that.

Tow truck drivers suck, but you're letting that opinion (with which I agree) cloud your rational judgment.

Reactions: Ironman2

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

It's quite possible the driver couldn't take payment without getting some personal information as part of his job (not as part of the law). It's a CYA move, and creates an information trail. Otherwise, the transaction is "off the books" and it's possible the incident could be used against him, and he has no documentation.

@Midnighter the next time you see a tow truck targeting someone who parked where they aren't allowed to I suggest that you go up to the driver, pull out some bills for the drop fee and see if they give you a several thousand vehicle in exchange for a couple of hundred bucks without ID. Be sure to post pictures of your newly acquired car.

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021

—-

We desperately need a poll!

• Haha
Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
@Midnighter the next time you see a tow truck targeting someone who parked where they aren't allowed to I suggest that you go up to the driver, pull out some bills for the drop fee and see if they give you a several thousand vehicle in exchange for a couple of hundred bucks without ID. Be sure to post pictures of your newly acquired car.

Funny that they’ll tow a car without knowing who owns it….

Think me turning the alarm off on my car with my key would suffice?

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Midnighter has 45% more money than I do, just sayin

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Funny that they’ll tow a car without knowing who owns it….

Think me turning the alarm off on my car with my key would suffice?
They'll tow a car when they know it's not supposed to be parked there.

Having the key fob is hardly a form of ID.

We get it, you don't like tow trucks, but you are being obtuse about not showing ID to relinquish the car.

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
They'll tow a car when they know it's not supposed to be parked there.

Having the key fob is hardly a form of ID.

We get it, you don't like tow trucks, but you are being obtuse about not showing ID to relinquish the car.
Watch using the word “obtuse”.
Andy Dufresne received solitary confinement for telling Warden Norton not to be obtuse.
🙂

OL

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021

—-

why do you think name and address is not needed? The driver and the apartment have accounting needs. If Carter didn’t want his name known, he sure screwed that up. He could have just said his name was Eddie Haskell from Springfield.

• Haha

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Why aren’t you mad at the housing complexes that hire these towing companies and tell them to immediately tow if they do not have the proper permit?

You act like these tow companies just randomly come on these properties without permission and just randomly tow.

To continue to be the devil’s advocate, what course other than towing do these housing complexes have? Not line PD is going to come ticket, plus that does not remove the issue of a car being there without proper permit.

Now maybe some have ample parking, but many sell a permit for every spot they have. If 1-2 cars are parked there without permission, then 1-2 people that paid to park there are screwed.

Let’s all be realistic as well. Most students don’t give a F and will park anywhere and everywhere without giving a f if it detrimentally impacts someone else.
I am trying to visualize these apartment complexes. All our kids went to universities in rural areas like Penn State where land was plentiful. they had apartments and there were no permits and we never had trouble parking at any of their apartments. I could see this type of situation in a place like NYC or Boston, but State College seems like there would be a different situation. why would students be parking in an apartment complex unless they were visiting, and how do you visit if there are permits. This just seems odd.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
why do you think name and address is not needed? The driver and the apartment have accounting needs. If Carter didn’t want his name known, he sure screwed that up. He could have just said his name was Eddie Haskell from Springfield.
I love didn’t want to id himself (obviously watching too much COPS marathons) but imagined he wouldn’t get IDd after assaulting a guy half his size in the middle of an 18 hour work day

Reactions: leinbacker