FC: "Penn State Trustees Should Disclose How Much They Donate to University" By John Hook

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
FWIW:
Not exactly to John Hook's point, but related: Having Board members "buy their seats" is a tried and true pathway to disfunctional governance. It is easy enough to see in just about every governance scenario.
Well, if they could afford a seat in Congress, they would buy one. What's a poor boy (or girl) to do?

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
"In a large, for-profit public company, the board is beholden to the shareholders – the investors who own stock in the company as noted above. A large public nonprofit organization like Penn State does not issue stock, so who is the Board of Trustees beholden to? Who are the shareholders? I would suggest Penn State alumni are the majority shareholders of Penn State."

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

Reactions: Zenophile

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
"In a large, for-profit public company, the board is beholden to the shareholders – the investors who own stock in the company as noted above. A large public nonprofit organization like Penn State does not issue stock, so who is the Board of Trustees beholden to? Who are the shareholders? I would suggest Penn State alumni are the majority shareholders of Penn State."

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

In a perfect world, this would be true and all of the BOT would be trying to hire the best teachers and professors who are unbiased in their academia, not injecting personal opinions or politics into their work and we would have a sports program that would not dominate every financial discussion or become so attached to its revenue that it doesn't drive the University, but the University would have the power and influence to keep sports in proper context and meaning in comparison to academia.

Reactions: Jaydmil

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
What happens first at Penn State? Disclosure or foreclosure?

😞

Considering that the "Commonwealth University" recently disclosed that they were over 110 million in debt and that the anchor, Bloomsburg University is being pushed to serious financial problems because of taking on the massive debts of Lock Haven and Mansfield; the state Education board doesn't seems to be concerned about helping them out of its situation or taking the radical steps needed such as shutting down the state campuses, like Lock Haven, Mansfield and others to keep the ones that are 'financially more solvent" to stay alive.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Good luck with that. :)

I really don't care what they do with their money. I care what they do with Penn State's money. I will add that, given a choice, I would rather they give more of their time than money. Giving money, if you have it, is easy. Giving time is more difficult. You can always make more money but you can never make more time.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Considering that the "Commonwealth University" recently disclosed that they were over 110 million in debt and that the anchor, Bloomsburg University is being pushed to serious financial problems because of taking on the massive debts of Lock Haven and Mansfield; the state Education board doesn't seems to be concerned about helping them out of its situation or taking the radical steps needed such as shutting down the state campuses, like Lock Haven, Mansfield and others to keep the ones that are 'financially more solvent" to stay alive.

OBVIOUSLY. o_O , these schools need to build new state-of-the-art buildings to attract more students.

FACILITIES. o_O

Reactions: Bison13

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
In a perfect world, this would be true and all of the BOT would be trying to hire the best teachers and professors who are unbiased in their academia, not injecting personal opinions or politics into their work and we would have a sports program that would not dominate every financial discussion or become so attached to its revenue that it doesn't drive the University, but the University would have the power and influence to keep sports in proper context and meaning in comparison to academia.
Respectfully, trustees do not get involved in faculty hiring and if they did they would have problems with accreditation agencies