FC - Prayers Answered Dave Jones is retiring

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021
Had dinner with him and other writers years ago in Minneapolis when State played the Gophers. He did a killer Bobby Knight impersonation.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
It's about time.

Piss on the Patriot News for keeping this arrogant, condescending sleaze-bag employed for so long. Go the F back to ohio where you belong.

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
In the 2000's I couldn't stand him as he got older and did coverage for the team he wasn't as bad. He would always answer you if you emailed him, which I admire.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
Don’t understand why all the animosity toward Dave Jones.

Jones posed tough questions to coach Franklin when needed.

Unlike many in the media, Jones was not a shill for the football program.

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022

Thirty-three years late but Horvath's decision to hire this guy finally is sent to its grave. Nobody personified a poor human resource decision for longer than Jones. Nobody. Assigned a role well above his talents could ever deliver, this guy was the poster boy of the undeserving. He does represent an unerodable ability for people to be consistent, in my case to despise his passive aggressive distaste for Penn State football, for decades. To my credit and all those of similar superior timber, Jones never deserved his position to comment on, let alone write about a level of achievement from Penn State football he could never achieve as a writer. As is the case for all lustful small minds, he sought to correlate higher moral and social principles he can not understand to smaller simpler situations in the program he also could not interpret. He hid behind the failed mantre of "truth to power" by attacking men (Joe and O'Brien) whose jocks he could not carry. His betrayal of Bill O'Brien, a guy who saved our program, without a losing record in that time, was only a recent example of his beligerently, arrogant sense of self importance.

it does not surprise me that only the PSU sports beat would honor Jones. Penn State football has had the worst collection of sports beat writers among the Blue Bloods since the 1980's. Only they could appreciate that moment. Worse news is that the news is not likely to improve. The lasting impact of Jones is that he seems to be contagious. As an example, Bob Flounders as apparently been influenced by the toxic waste from Ohio. Bobby Flo was born a good guy, had detectable talent perhaps even resurrectable talent, but his affinity to collaborate with Jones even in the name of teamwork may have damaged his future prospects. I pray for Bobby Flo, as should all of us.

No, Jones' journey into the ether of Buckeye worship can do nothing but improve the perception of Penn State football even if his former peers on the Penn State Beat seek to preserve it.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Thirty-three years late but Horvath's decision to hire this guy finally is sent to its grave. Nobody personified a poor human resource decision for longer than Jones. Nobody. Assigned a role well above his talents could ever deliver, this guy was the poster boy of the undeserving. He does represent an unerodable ability for people to be consistent, in my case to despise his passive aggressive distaste for Penn State football, for decades. To my credit and all those of similar superior timber, Jones never deserved his position to comment on, let alone write about a level of achievement from Penn State football he could never achieve as a writer. As is the case for all lustful small minds, he sought to correlate higher moral and social principles he can not understand to smaller simpler situations in the program he also could not interpret. He hid behind the failed mantre of "truth to power" by attacking men (Joe and O'Brien) whose jocks he could not carry. His betrayal of Bill O'Brien, a guy who saved our program, without a losing record in that time, was only a recent example of his beligerently, arrogant sense of self importance.

it does not surprise me that only the PSU sports beat would honor Jones. Penn State football has had the worst collection of sports beat writers among the Blue Bloods since the 1980's. Only they could appreciate that moment. Worse news is that the news is not likely to improve. The lasting impact of Jones is that he seems to be contagious. As an example, Bob Flounders as apparently been influenced by the toxic waste from Ohio. Bobby Flo was born a good guy, had detectable talent perhaps even resurrectable talent, but his affinity to collaborate with Jones even in the name of teamwork may have damaged his future prospects. I pray for Bobby Flo, as should all of us.

No, Jones' journey into the ether of Buckeye worship can do nothing but improve the perception of Penn State football even if his former peers on the Penn State Beat seek to preserve it.
“Passive aggressive distaste for Penn State football.” You just described a handful of posters on here. If you add in “all things Penn State” then you narrow it down to a few who chime in with complaining about Penn State on every single topic no matter what. I’m not sure why they follow anything Penn State related if it causes them that much suffering. Can we get them to retire from this board?