Film Study: 4th Quarter vs. Michigan

CaliLion79

Oct 8, 2021
PSU MICH FILM STUDY

See Link. The host says that he doesn't think Cam was Clifford's first read on the 4th and 2 play? So was it Parker Washington then? In T-Frank's written piece he didn't have a strong opinion about where this ball eas designed to go. if you're a regular watcher of these film studies, you'll remember Yurcich successfully dialed up a similar 'banjo beater' vs. Auburn where the receivers fake like they were crossing then touched then spilt for an easy completion. That ball went to the inside receiver...so
i'm guessing this was supposed to go to Washington. If anybody with some coaching X's and O's acumen can add some context, thanks in advance. Also, was there any explanation why King was on the field and not TCF in such a high leverage situation? Was it Injury?

Reactions: ManxomeLion

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
Im no ball coach, and maybe Clifford was really banged up, but I love rolling the QB out in these must have situations where he has multiple short passing routes or can run for the first down. On 4th and 2 it gives the defense a lot to defend, do like a waggle. Of course this assumes we could seal an edge and actually block, but the route we ran basically had no options in the event those 2 routes were covered. We basically said, one of the two, we hope will shake free with very limited time to throw and if they are not open, just put it up. Seems like something better, something with more options, could have been devised. As someone who has staunchly defended Clifford, he absolutely had to at least give a receiver a goddamn chance.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
I believe T-Frank said that Washington was late getting out of his break, Clifford was getting pressure and he had to get rid of it, the throw to CSB was his only other option. Nevertheless, gotta keep in in bounds and give CSB a chance to make a play or possibly get a PI call.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I believe T-Frank said that Washington was late getting out of his break, Clifford was getting pressure and he had to get rid of it, the throw to CSB was his only other option. Nevertheless, gotta keep in in bounds and give CSB a chance to make a play or possibly get a PI call.

Back shoulder or slight under throw are your friend. Neither pass is seemingly in our playback nor SCs wheelhouse. Drawing DPI converts.

Reactions: Pocono Lion

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
On that final 4th down, once they determined that the LB had Lee in man, with the TE cutting across, couldn't Lee be open on a swing pass? He really didn't contribute on pass protection and that LB looked like he'd get caught up in traffic on tracking Lee to the flat - at least to the tune of picking up 2 yards. It would be a high completion percentage pass and deliverable quickly without need for time in the pocket. OK, I'll keep my day job ... hey wait, I'm retired!

CaliLion79

Oct 8, 2021
I'm with you Woodpecker, although considering the way our RBs caught the ball on Saturday -- or didn't catch the ball -- I'm not sure that would have been high on the list of 4th down options lol