Film Study - Tom Allen's philosophical differences compared to Diaz

CaliLion79

Oct 8, 2021
TOM ALLEN DEFENSE FILM STUDY

See Link. Video is broken down into defensive tendencies in traditional passing down situations and early down/on schedule situations. Interesting that both guys believe in the same thing -- being proactive to generate turnovers and negative plays for the offense -- but go about it in completely different ways. Where Diaz wants to stress O-Line and QBs at the line of scrimmage, leaving secondaries vulnerable...Allen likes to be realtively simplistic upfront but make things cloudy and deceptive at the second and third levels of the defense for QBs and OCs.

I think with Allen, situations like the late 4th quarter 3rd and 10 conversion to MHJ in OSU 2022 don't happen...nor does the 2023 Michigan 3rd and Long runs vs. Prowler. But, in Allen's system moments like Johnny Dixon's half-ending, red zone sack of Stroud in OSU 2022 don't happen, either. So, it seems Codutti is not saying one philosophy is right and one is wrong. They're just different. Not quite sure which system - Diaz's or Allen's - best fits our projected 2024 personnel.

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021

See Link. Video is broken down into defensive tendencies in traditional passing down situations and early down/on schedule situations. Interesting that both guys believe in the same thing -- being proactive to generate turnovers and negative plays for the offense -- but go about it in completely different ways. Where Diaz wants to stress O-Line and QBs at the line of scrimmage, leaving secondaries vulnerable...Allen likes to be realtively simplistic upfront but make things cloudy and deceptive at the second and third levels of the defense for QBs and OCs.

I think with Allen, situations like the late 4th quarter 3rd and 10 conversion to MHJ in OSU 2022 don't happen...nor does the 2023 Michigan 3rd and Long runs vs. Prowler. But, in Allen's system moments like Johnny Dixon's half-ending, red zone sack of Stroud in OSU 2022 don't happen, either. So, it seems Codutti is not saying one philosophy is right and one is wrong. They're just different. Not quite sure which system - Diaz's or Allen's - best fits our projected 2024 personnel.
I do like that Allen’s tendency to play more zone on the back end could help our young secondary, including the guys who have arrived via the portal. I am curious, however, how he uses Carter to supplement the pass rush. I don’t believe Allen has had anybody with Carter’s physical abilities so it could be like a shiny new toy for him.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022

I enjoy Coach Codutti's FTB analyses. Am kind of surprised he's not been snapped up at the collegiate level.

Reactions: OhioLion

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
Coach Codutti is echoing a lot of the things @TFrankCarr said after the Allen hiring. The recurring thought is that Diaz was more exotic on the front while Allen's defense was more exotic on the backend. TFrank was surprised IIRC that Indiana didn't have more busted coverages on the backend, given some of their coverage schemes. I think he also felt that some of the younger CBs that were more suited to zone than press coverage would prosper in Allen's scheme.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021

So maybe less sacks but more interceptions?

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

TFrankCarr

Staff member
Oct 19, 2021
Coach Codutti is echoing a lot of the things @TFrankCarr said after the Allen hiring. The recurring thought is that Diaz was more exotic on the front while Allen's defense was more exotic on the backend. TFrank was surprised IIRC that Indiana didn't have more busted coverages on the backend, given some of their coverage schemes. I think he also felt that some of the younger CBs that were more suited to zone than press coverage would prosper in Allen's scheme.
Yes to all of that. But it'll be the guys that get the scheme best that'll play. Physical traits only matter after that.

Reactions: NavyBlue