FLO to Ohio St…Offensive Co-ordinator

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
What a weird world we live in.

Im interested in the battle of offensive egos….Day vs O’Brien

It’s not a career move I would have made…the repeated self-demotion to college ball in hopes of NFL resurrection.

That said, Franklin “obviously” has to be a bit puckered at this news

11/2/2024 should be epic

Bill O’Brien’s offense vs Tom Allen’s Defense 🤔

Last edited:

Charlie1978

Dec 8, 2022
Finally, good news for Penn State!
Yep best place to jump in this thread. BOB is a net positive for OSU and if Manny was still here a big net gain for our Lions. BOB is a guy with a lower ceiling than he realizes. Certainly, Henderson will be the biggest benefactor of his arrival but BOB has limits that will keep the Buckeyes from becoming elite. BOB is not a visionary leader capable of new ideas, he is the kid that instead of learning and comprehending, is forced to memorize and hope the test is from the book. That's why Tom Brady never won a Super Bowl whilst BOB was the OC. BOB would never have beaten the Falcons as it were. At best, BOB is the 3rd best OC in the league behind Sherone and Special K. He does have the temperment to be a Buckeye. He derives no joy from the game, and hates or could care less about all the people associated with the game who don't wear mouthpieces. He saved us no doubt, but he is not going to Columbus to save the program, he is going there to make them elite as they define elite. This says more about Day's decision making than BOB as the right guy.

regarding PSU and BOB, I do think that we blundered with Allen as DC. Allen has very poor aptitude that I think on a relative basis will allow BOB to adequately defeat over the course of the next two years while they are in their respective roles. BUT, Sherrone Moore is the best coach in the BIG, if Meatchicken gets any talent at all, that guy will toast us and Buckeyes. Ryan Day's only hope is to overcompensate with raw materials, if he can't do that he is gone.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
What a weird world we live in.

Im interested in the battle of offensive egos….Day vs O’Brien

It’s not a career move I would have made…the repeated self-demotion to college ball in hopes of NFL resurrection.

That said, Franklin “obviously” has to be a bit puckered at this news

11/2/2024 should be epic

Bill O’Brien’s offense vs Tom Allen’s Defense 🤔
He barely won anything at PSU with a very good team then bailed when because he didn't want to recruit. He ruined the Texans then rode the coat tails of Saban to get a job under Belichick again only to get fired there. He's a washed up never was hack.

Reactions: MrTailgate

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Meanwhile, Drew Allar doesn't have a QB coach :unsure:
If they wanted to pay for one you'd b!tch and complain that they're spending too much money on the staff. That seems conflicting. Besides, they already have an O'brien that's his QB coach and GA salaries are a cost savings. Am I wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: LB99

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
He barely won anything at PSU with a very good team then bailed when because he didn't want to recruit. He ruined the Texans then rode the coat tails of Saban to get a job under Belichick again only to get fired there. He's a washed up never was hack.
He worked for Bellicheat before taking the job at PSU. I firmly believe he helped sustain PSU football(along with those players) during the madness of the scandal. It was a very challenging situation for him to get into in the first place. Had the administration/athletics not been run by a bunch of jackwagons at the time he may still be our coach if he would have gotten over his issues with recruiting. Now OSU doesn't have a good QB since their starter transferred. Let's see how it plays out next season

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
He worked for Bellicheat before taking the job at PSU. I firmly believe he helped sustain PSU football(along with those players) during the madness of the scandal. It was a very challenging situation for him to get into in the first place. Had the administration/athletics not been run by a bunch of jackwagons at the time he may still be our coach if he would have gotten over his issues with recruiting. Now OSU doesn't have a good QB since their starter transferred. Let's see how it plays out next season
He's not King Bill to me. Sure he held things together, but it was just a stepping stone for him and he used PSU and that's fine.

Don't you think it was in his best interest to keep the team together? Do you think he had the players best interests in mind when keeping them from leaving or was it to put a decent team together to make him look good?

He is what he is and sure it helped PSU football to have him for 2 years. But he didn't and still doesn't give a rat's azz about PSU. It was all all about him getting to where he wanted to go.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
He's not King Bill to me. Sure he held things together, but it was just a stepping stone for him and he used PSU and that's fine.

Don't you think it was in his best interest to keep the team together? Do you think he had the players best interests in mind when keeping them from leaving or was it to put a decent team together?

He is what he is and sure it helped PSU football to have him for 2 years. But he didn't and still doesn't give a rat's azz about PSU. It was all all about him getting to where he wanted to go.
This is fair. Seems like he really cared about the players, but no doubt he's a careerism type of coach.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

Don't you think it was in his best interest to keep the team together? Do you think he had the players best interests in mind when keeping them from leaving or was it to put a decent team together to make him look good?

Let's not forget the schools admin misled him about the NCAA and the punishments. He had every right to bail from that situation and maybe you like when your employer lies or misleads you, but others do take exception to it. He was the first one saying PSU was behind the times and Franklin backed that right up with the same sentiments.....so I personally don't hold any grudge against him.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
He coached for Belichick and Saban, yet never won a natty or a Superbowl. Ask yourself, why did he never get a second chance as an NFL coach. They recycle to a fault. I will agree that he has had an incredibly good $$$$ career all things considered.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Let's not forget the schools admin misled him about the NCAA and the punishments. He had every right to bail from that situation and maybe you like when your employer lies or misleads you, but others do take exception to it. He was the first one saying PSU was behind the times and Franklin backed that right up with the same sentiments.....so I personally don't hold any grudge against him.
He did get a new contract out of that, if I recall.

Reactions: s1uggo72
Sep 3, 2023

Sound like just about every coach out there. Wash to Alabama. Oak to USC. Manny to Duke. Az to Wash. Cinnci to Wisconsin. ND to LSU. Don't forget Saban. Toledo to Browns, to MSU to LSU to Dolphins to Alabama.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Just look at some forums as to what the Alabama fans are saying about him, they felt he hindered Bryce Young's talent.

OB did fine for us , but the 11 or 12 defectors killed us mainly Silas and Fera, he did utilize Zack and Jesse to the fullest.

Not a recruiter --- maybe he'll push on a recruit or two like he did with Hack.

Buck fans are annoyed Day got rid of their QB coach who developed some good OSU QB's, but took the heat for McCord.

Houston got rid of him, Alabama doesn't miss him and i expected the Pats to be better than what they were.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Looking back, my opinion is he was leaving when the first decent NFL team came calling. I'll never hold a grudge for someone looking to better themselves and further themselves in life. I also think if the administration was fantastic and the facilities were decent he still would have left. There were a lot of things pointed at as reasons he was leaving but in my opinion it was just talk. How many of his assistants did he take with him to Houston?

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Looking back, my opinion is he was leaving when the first decent NFL team came calling. I'll never hold a grudge for someone looking to better themselves and further themselves in life. I also think if the administration was fantastic and the facilities were decent he still would have left. There were a lot of things pointed at as reasons he was leaving but in my opinion it was just talk. How many of his assistants did he take with him to Houston?
Again he was handed a **** sandwich, ships were taken, kids were allowed to portal with no consequence at all years before the Portal. This idea he had to be loyal to the school because Joe was is kind of crazy to me. PSU was a **** show and he and Franklin walked PSU through those dark times along with the players who stayed.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Again he was handed a **** sandwich, ships were taken, kids were allowed to portal with no consequence at all years before the Portal. This idea he had to be loyal to the school because Joe was is kind of crazy to me. PSU was a **** show and he and Franklin walked PSU through those dark times along with the players who stayed.
This has nothing to do with Joe. He used PSU football like Kiffen uses every college job he's had to move up. It was a perfect opportunity for him to capitalize on a good roster and move up. He's not anywhere near Saint BOB to me and he's proven to be an average HC and OC at both levels. I hold no ill will for him leaving. I think he knows he's not a college HC and that's why he keeps taking coordinator jobs when the NFL doesn't work out.

Reactions: OaktonDave

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
This happened awfully fast-something tells me he's been looking for a while.