Flo's Projected Hodge standings, 1/31/23

clucas11

Oct 31, 2021
No doubt and he is the prohibitive favorite, but there have been cracks in the armor this year. Spencer has been on his back a couple times. I'm just saying all it takes is someone who catches him and sticks him and the Hodge goes out the window...of course that is the case with anyone in the running as well. I mean it was fleeting, but Marco Vespa had him in trouble for a brief moment.

Sluggo52

Sep 2, 2022
Noticed that when he has to go into the third period (which is rare) he is unimpressive and looks a bit gassed.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
With Spencer Lee losing in the semis, that radically changes the Hodge standings. Nomad has some tweets about it, which I'll add below

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
How’s that turn out?
That was the only Iowa loss that I feel bad about… it makes Cael’s undefeated career even more anazing. Lee has been the most dominant wrestler over the last 5 years, but even he lost. Same with Gable Steveson. Heck, even Dan Gable lost.

lobolion

Oct 23, 2021
Just based on pre-tournament rankings: Parris, O'Connor, Starocci and Alirez, probably in that order. Can't say I'd have a problem with that.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
The thing that has always bothered me with the Hodge is that it tries to be too many things. It's supposed to be an annual award for the best college wrestler with seven criteria. One criteria is 'Past credentials' which tries to make it career achievement award and goes against the very nature of an annual award. Another criteria is 'Sportsmanship/Citizenship' takes the award into humanitarian territory rather than best wrestler.

Last edited:
Reactions: WV lion

lobolion

Oct 23, 2021
The thing that has always bothered me with the Hodge is that it tries to be too many things. It's supposed to be an annual award for the best college wrestler with seven criteria. One criteria is 'Past credentials' which tries to make it career achievement award and goes against the very nature of an annual award. Another criteria is 'Sportsmanship/Citizenship' takes the award into humanitarian territory rather than best wrestler.
I agree; and you might add "heart' as another criterion that is, while very important, just a little too subjective for me.

Sunshinedynomite 1

Oct 14, 2021
PSU look
RBY would of win if he beat Vito- really stings
Carter should win it will finish 3rd
Brooks was most dominant got caught for 6 point move by Coleman almost came back to win.

They will give it to Parris the semifinal beat down and Lee losing pretty much locked it up.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
I think Paris deserves it. He was more dominant then anyone else. Wrestled the full season. Beat the #2 guy 3 times and everyone else. Starocci does have better career numbers but that is it. Would love to see Starocci get it, but Paris is more deserving.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
I think Paris deserves it. He was more dominant then anyone else. Wrestled the full season. Beat the #2 guy 3 times and everyone else. Starocci does have better career numbers but that is it. Would love to see Starocci get it, but Paris is more deserving.
Parris is a great wrestler...I think he is deserving of the Hodge. He gave Cassioppi an absolute beat down in the semi's.

I know ESPN was doing what they do to dress things up. But the "he was a big time FB recruit" just made me roll eyes. Sure he was a D1 level football player graduating HS. But he was essentially a 2-star. He could have played FBS football...but not at Michigan. More likely he'd have been at a G5 school e.g. Ball State. If he wanted football at Michigan he'd probably have had to start out as a walk-on.

Latest posts