Former Gamecocks you would like to see as coaches @ USC

Prestonite

Feb 1, 2022
Football: Stephon Gilmore
Basketball: Sindarious Thornwell
Baseball: Landon Powell

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
Players may not always transform into great Coaches after their playing days are over. They may not be good recruiters, mentors, trainers, etc……

I think it would be cool to have a former player as a Coach. But at this point there isn’t one I’m aware of that would be a smart hire.

i admire Conner Shaw as a former player. I liked seeing him stand in and Coach some. But from the outside looking in- Coaching college ball doesn’t appear to be for him. It’s lots of pressure and you have to be great at a lot of certain things. Imagine him as an offensive coordinator here. If our offense didn’t put up points- he would go from a very beloved Gamecock because of what he did as a player- to fans wanting him ran off if he couldn’t build an offense. Kind of like what is happening with Ray Tanner. Great baseball coach. But clearly he is NOT a good A/D.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Landon would probably be the best of all the aforementioned. But I think he's quite happy and content in the Upstate. Good for him,

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Goody

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Jan 30, 2022
Football: Stephon Gilmore
Basketball: Sindarious Thornwell
1) Football: Defense as analysts DeVonte Holloman & Darian Stewart.
Connor Shaw analyst on offense and Duce Staley as RB Coach if he has his degree.
2) BJ McKie as MBB Coach.
3) Landon Powell as BB Coach.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

Garnetspur

Joined Jan 1, 2004
Jan 22, 2022
Although no degree-Duce Staley.
Baseball - Landon Powell.
Although a little too old now - Brian Winters or Mike Dunleavy

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Players may not always transform into great Coaches after their playing days are over. They may not be good recruiters, mentors, trainers, etc……

I think it would be cool to have a former player as a Coach. But at this point there isn’t one I’m aware of that would be a smart hire.

i admire Conner Shaw as a former player. I liked seeing him stand in and Coach some. But from the outside looking in- Coaching college ball doesn’t appear to be for him. It’s lots of pressure and you have to be great at a lot of certain things. Imagine him as an offensive coordinator here. If our offense didn’t put up points- he would go from a very beloved Gamecock because of what he did as a player- to fans wanting him ran off if he couldn’t build an offense. Kind of like what is happening with Ray Tanner. Great baseball coach. But clearly he is NOT a good A/D.
Agree! I've said numerous times; just because someone was a good player here, in no way means they are, or will be, a good coach.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Just gave him a shot for his coaching skills.
I know many here didn't much care for Dave Odom as a coach. But at least you have to give him credit for trying his best to invite former hoopsters back to campus to celebrate the 100th anniversary of MBB at USC. He did meet with some success with those who played under McGuire.

CaughtLookin

Joined Jan 16, 2021
Jan 22, 2022
This. We need that type of heart and spirit in the program. Plus you'd never have to tell anyone to take the Clemson game seriously
Exactly. DJ would not let that detail go unnoticed, ever! and Swagger to boot!

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Football: Connor Shaw (On the Field)
Basketball: Mike Boynton
Before his departure I would've agreed on Shaw, but I don't think he knows what he really wants to do for a career, and I get the feeling he's done with football.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Before his departure I would've agreed on Shaw, but I don't think he knows what he really wants to do for a career, and I get the feeling he's done with football.
Yeah, that’s why I say on the field. He doesn’t need to be in a support role. I still have a feeling he ends up on a sideline somewhere at some level.

York cock

Jan 21, 2022

For some reason folks never understand that just because you played the game does not mean that will translate to being a good coach. It’s kind of like teaching, you can spot the ones that can “do the work” but do you have the “gifts” to teach it.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
For some reason folks never understand that just because you played the game does not mean that will translate to being a good coach. It’s kind of like teaching, you can spot the ones that can “do the work” but do you have the “gifts” to teach it.
An egregious example is Babe Ruth, who was promised a "managerial" position with the Braves. Would the Babe have accepted a "PR" position? .....

Reactions: York cock

Latest posts