Forty years ago today in 1982...

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
It was an eventful day in Pennsylvania.
(1 )Fifth-ranked Penn State came from behind and beat second-ranked Nebraska in what may have been the most exciting finish in Beaver Stadium History.
(2) The Who.. The Clash.. Santana... and The Hooters jammed to a HUGE crowd at JFK. (What I wouldn't do to see The Clash play live!)
(3) George Banks went on a rampage and murdered 13 people mostly his relatives in Wilkes-Barre, (I was in eighth grade at the time and never believed something like that could ever happen here in Northestern Pennsylvania.)

Reactions: WestSideLion

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
(1 )Fifth-ranked Penn State came from behind and beat second-ranked Nebraska in what may have been the most exciting finish in Beaver Stadium History.
(2) The Who.. The Clash.. Santana... and The Hooters jammed to a HUGE crowd at JFK. (What I wouldn't do to see The Clash play live!)
(3) George Banks went on a rampage and murdered 13 people mostly his relatives in Wilkes-Barre, (I was in eighth grade at the time and never believed something like that could ever happen here in Northestern Pennsylvania.)
I was a freshman at Penn State and at The Who concert.
The Clash were not as well received as they should have been. IMHO.

Delted00004

Oct 26, 2021
I was at JFK for that Who / Clash / Santana (and Hooters) show... good time!

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Always remembered the Banks family massacre by the date of the Nebraska game. The couple we used to travel to games with used to drive to our house from Plains/Hudson Gardens and we would leave from there (Larksville). They described all the sirens that morning in and around north Wilkes-Barre and occasionally we could hear something on the other side of the river. Anyway, we drove to the game and the details came out through the day.

Thanks for the memories from my fellow Wyoming Valley friends.

I guess I was a bit young for the JFK concert, but the memories from being in the Beav that day will have to do.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I was a freshman at Penn State and at The Who concert.
The Clash were not as well received as they should have been. IMHO.
ro…that’s a story I need to hear live. Next time we’re in the same zip code, the bourbon is on me.

I’m about 10 years younger and would absolutely sell my grandmother to have seen The Clash live. The Replacements are a close second.

Reactions: psuro

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
This raises an interesting question: better band…The Who or The Clash?

I’ll leave it to all of you to define “better band.” I vote for The Clash. They were more original, stood for real causes and influenced generations of future bands. No great bands ever say, “We were heavily influenced by The Who.”

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
This raises an interesting question: better band…The Who or The Clash?

I’ll leave it to all of you to define “better band.” I vote for The Clash. They were more original, stood for real causes and influenced generations of future bands. No great bands ever say, “We were heavily influenced by The Who.”
Really? The Who influenced a number of bands, including the Clash. As far a "Great" that is subjective. The angst of a disaffected young lad/young man is the basis for so much of Townshend's music, and that also formed the basis for the punk/new wave movement later in the 1970s, who took that germ of an idea and applied it to British youth as a whole. The Who's early hits were relaitvely short with stong bass and hard riffs- also a hallmark of the late 70s punk/new wave movement. As far as causes and movement, aside from the disaffectd youth was the Vietnam War, commericalism and materialism. The Who (specifically Townshen) was also able to take a couple of simple ideas and create two separate Rock Opera (Tommy and Quadrophenia). To be able to create double albums that had a commen theme to the songs is not an easy task. Only Pink Floyd was able to do it as well (Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall). And The Who did it first.

I prefer The Who over The Clash. The Who were probably the fourth of the "Early British Invasion" bands of the early/mid 1960s, in terms of standing (Beatles, Stones, Led Zep being the other three). Groups like Floyd, Cream, etc came along later.

So, as far as your question - I say The Who is the "better" band.

For Real Wtf GIF by Carola

Reactions: Bob78

GringoStarr99

Oct 29, 2021
ro…that’s a story I need to hear live. Next time we’re in the same zip code, the bourbon is on me.

I’m about 10 years younger and would absolutely sell my grandmother to have seen The Clash live. The Replacements are a close second.

Got to see The Clash on the London Calling (Tower Theater) and Combat Rock (Class Of '23 Rink at U-Penn) tours and they were great both times. There's a reason there has not been any shows at the Rink since then due to the crappy acoustics inside but the band was still great.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
Really? The Who influenced a number of bands, including the Clash. As far a "Great" that is subjective. The angst of a disaffected young lad/young man is the basis for so much of Townshend's music, and that also formed the basis for the punk/new wave movement later in the 1970s, who took that germ of an idea and applied it to British youth as a whole. The Who's early hits were relaitvely short with stong bass and hard riffs- also a hallmark of the late 70s punk/new wave movement. As far as causes and movement, aside from the disaffectd youth was the Vietnam War, commericalism and materialism. The Who (specifically Townshen) was also able to take a couple of simple ideas and create two separate Rock Opera (Tommy and Quadrophenia). To be able to create double albums that had a commen theme to the songs is not an easy task. Only Pink Floyd was able to do it as well (Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall). And The Who did it first.

I prefer The Who over The Clash. The Who were probably the fourth of the "Early British Invasion" bands of the early/mid 1960s, in terms of standing (Beatles, Stones, Led Zep being the other three). Groups like Floyd, Cream, etc came along later.

So, as far as your question - I say The Who is the "better" band.

For Real Wtf GIF by Carola
Herein lies the subjective beauty of music! You kind of nail the gist of my thinking. The Who is #4 for their era/genre (British Invasion pop/rock). Distantly so by most measures.

The Clash are an absolute icon of their era…if not the most influential band, certainly top-two.

That may be an unfair criteria.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Herein lies the subjective beauty of music! You kind of nail the gist of my thinking. The Who is #4 for their era/genre (British Invasion pop/rock). Distantly so by most measures.

The Clash are an absolute icon of their era…if not the most influential band, certainly top-two.

That may be an unfair criteria.
There was more talent during The Who's entry into the music scene. More competition.

Who is the other band you think is close to The Clash? And what is the genre?

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
There was more talent during The Who's entry into the music scene. More competition.

Not the same genre (maybe), but The Ramones would be up there as far as influence in the same era.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

I’d put The Ramones up there in terms of punk influence. They didn’t have the social substance of The Clash. The Sex Pistols are often mentioned too…crap musical quality, but they stood for a disassociated generation.

psupride1997

Oct 25, 2021
I’d put The Ramones up there in terms of punk influence. They didn’t have the social substance of The Clash. The Sex Pistols are often mentioned too…crap musical quality, but they stood for a disassociated generation.

And the New York Dolls were there before them all….mix women’s clothing with Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and heroin ….and off you go….

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
And the New York Dolls were there before them all….mix women’s clothing with Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and heroin ….and off you go….
The Dolls and The Stooges were the bridge from the “Dirty Stones” glory era to punk. Neither were punk, though.

The Dolls were incredibly influential. The Ramones talk about seeing them in NYC circa 72-73 and immediately starting a band.

wslee1

Oct 31, 2021
I remember being in The Corner Room drinking beer and about 2 hours after the game had ended we watched the goal posts come down the ave!
I remember driving down College with my roommate afer the game, and about when we got to the Corner Room, I realized this wall of people was coming at us....right down the avenue, carrying the goal posts! I was like now what do we do. Then all of a sudden, this massive sea of students parted, and a guantlet opened up. They rocked and slapped my Bronco as we high 5'vd everyone making our way through. It was crazy, crazy spontaneous moment celebrating......will never forget!! On a side note, my parents went to every game, but always left early as my Mom was handicapped. Just before the game, I went over to my Dad and said, if its close, please stay until the end. The one and only time the did. My Dad later said he was so glad I said that to them. (y)😀