G.G. Jackson

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
It looks like another star has his eyes set on tobacco road. What will it take to keep guys like this at home? It seems like we only get 1 or 2 every ten years. Its next to impossible to win if we can't consistently keep that talent home.

Reactions: Maccmaine12

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It looks like another star has his eyes set on tobacco road. What will it take to keep guys like this at home? It seems like we only get 1 or 2 every ten years. Its next to impossible to win if we can't consistently keep that talent home.
Roll the clock back 51 years to the 8-member ACC with all charter members still in the league + UVA.

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
Roll the clock back 51 years to the 8-member ACC with all charter members still in the league + UVA.
Unfortunately I agree. People like to harp on Frank Martin but not even Frank McGuire was very successful recruiting here after we left the ACC. Eddie Fogler was very successful before he came to USC, had a little success for a while winning the regular season title but just could not consistently recruit enough talent to keep winning.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Unfortunately I agree. People like to harp on Frank Martin but not even Frank McGuire was very successful recruiting here after we left the ACC. Eddie Fogler was very successful before he came to USC, had a little success for a while winning the regular season title but just could not consistently recruit enough talent to keep winning.
And IIRC upset McGee for making the honest assessment that we should expect to make the NCAAs one out of every 4 years.

gsb16

Feb 7, 2022
I'm not worried about Jackson going to unc or duke. He'll likely only stay in college one year, wherever he goes. We need good players, and we recruit SC players, but in the end, it does not matter where the players come from. It only matters if they are good enough to win at USC. The only way I know to get good SC players to come to USC is to win a lot. If we do that, maybe they will want to come. Or maybe they won't. I stopped worrying about getting instate talent long ago.

Reactions: RAtheOLcoach

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Fogler p***d me off by cancelling future series with UnCarolina. That didn't help things.

Reactions: funktavious

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Today's watered-down ACC isn't the same as it was during our time in the league and for about 25 years after we left it, i.e. when they expanded beyond F$U,

Reactions: funktavious

Legendary Cock

Joined Aug 6, 2014
Jan 22, 2022
And IIRC upset McGee for making the honest assessment that we should expect to make the NCAAs one out of every 4 years.
I remember when that happened. The rift between Fowler and McGee was never more pronounced than it was then.

EDIT: FOGLER. My autocorrect simply doesn't like Eddie's last name.

Last edited:

funktavious

Joined Mar 20, 2002
Jan 31, 2022
I remember when that happened. The rift between Fowler and McGee was never more pronounced than it was then.

EDIT: FOGLER. My autocorrect simply doesn't like Eddie's last name.
In hindsight we'd all be happy with once every 4 years.

Latest posts