Game audio/video production:

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
A friend of mine worked on the Jumbotron production crew for the UT-USC basketball game this weekend. He says UT uses about 25 or 30 people (camera ops, engineers, grips, replay techs, music, directors, producers, etc.) to produce the audio/video for the fans, and everything is choreographed. The band is even cued when to start/stop playing, and the PA announcer is told when to introduce players pre-game (Chirs Lofton in 5...4...3...2...1). Nothing is left to chance.

I only bring this up because most of us agree that our game a/v production (basketball and football) absolutely sucks, and from what I've read, this past weekend's halftime presentation was no exception. Does anyone know how many people MSU has on a gameday production crew and how prepared they are? Clearly the answers are "not enough" and "not very", but hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can answer the question.

I realize gameday a/v for the fans probably isn't a top priority for the University, but damn...a little effort goes a long way.

statedawg2004

Mar 4, 2008
Ok since you asked here is what we use at state for basketball and baseball:

Inside the controll room: Director, Replay Operator, Graphics Operator, Mattrix board(small board that runs ads and scores) operator, and an Engineer. And you can add the person that runs Maroon to the Max to that mix, but they really don't ad to the production.

Outside the control room: 3 camera operators, 2 utility/grips. All sound inside the hump is controlled throught the marketing staff, which involves 1 staff, 1 graduate assistant, and maybe 1 or 2 marketing student assistants. Marketing cues the band also.

So that gives you a total of 10 on the jumbotron crew, 3 from marketing. The majority of those that work on the jumbotron crew are students marking from $45 to $75 a game. The only thing that students don't do is direct and engineer.

Baseball will use one less utility/grip and won't use the mattrix board. Some one from sports information will run baseball mattrix.