Glacier- Montana

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Heading out to Glacier in several weeks. I know we have at least one poster that lives out that way.

Any recommended hikes? We like to go about 10 miles give or take? I have done some research and have a couple picked out.

Any must sees?

Cockgun

Jan 21, 2022
I was on a hike out there during the summer and was on a trail where a bear had been sighted the day before. I was also in Yellowstone several years ago where an experienced hiker had left his bear spray in his car while he went on a short, lunch time hike. You guessed it, he was killed by a grizzly. Please consider either bells or bear spray, or both.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The Highline Trail from Logan Pass is a must-do. You can basically go out and back as far as you want to. The first mile from Logan Pass is absolutely incredible (for those who aren't terrified of heights and a relatively narrow ledge). Logan Pass is also the origination of the Hidden Lake Overlook trail which is an iconic hike. The Avalanche Lake trail on the Lake McDonald side of the park is another popular moderate hike that is definitely worth the investment.

How many days are you in the area and how many days are you scheduled to be in the park? A trail ride or canoe/kayak rental at Many Glacier is definitely a worthwhile experience as well. On the Many Glacier side of the park, you can also hike up to the Ptarmigan Tunnel. It's about 10.5 miles and considered a "strenuous" hike, but it's a good way to spend a day, if you have an extra day.

If you are staying outside the park on the west side, a side trip to Hungry Horse Dam in Columbia Falls is an excellent way to fill a little time in the afternoon or after dinner. I wouldn't call it "must-see," but if you are there anyway, it's a good way to fill an hour or so of "dead time" late in the day or on a day where you don't feel like dealing with the crowds inside the park.

Where are you flying into? If you are driving up to Glacier from Missoula, a side stop at the National Bison Range is definitely worth it. It has a one-way gravel road that winds up into the highlands of the range for about 17 miles. On a good day, in addition to the bison, you'll see elk, deer, bighorn sheep, antelope, black bears, and beautiful views. On our last trip, we saw three black bears, all within about 50 feet of the road.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I was on a hike out there during the summer and was on a trail where a bear had been sighted the day before. I was also in Yellowstone several years ago where an experienced hiker had left his bear spray in his car while he went on a short, lunch time hike. You guessed it, he was killed by a grizzly. Please consider either bells or bear spray, or both.
Yes, we don't hike anywhere out here without bear spray (and a 10mm when I am in backcountry areas outside the parks). You can't fly with bear spray, so I recommend getting some in Kalispell or Missoula (depending on where you fly into). Costco has a 2-pack of UDAP for $40-something which is the best deal by bar. At the end of your vacation, you can give it (unused, hopefully) to a less prepared tourist or a local.

Reactions: Cockgun

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
The Highline Trail from Logan Pass is a must-do. You can basically go out and back as far as you want to. The first mile from Logan Pass is absolutely incredible (for those who aren't terrified of heights and a relatively narrow ledge). Logan Pass is also the origination of the Hidden Lake Overlook trail which is an iconic hike. The Avalanche Lake trail on the Lake McDonald side of the park is another popular moderate hike that is definitely worth the investment.

How many days are you in the area and how many days are you scheduled to be in the park? A trail ride or canoe/kayak rental at Many Glacier is definitely a worthwhile experience as well. On the Many Glacier side of the park, you can also hike up to the Ptarmigan Tunnel. It's about 10.5 miles and considered a "strenuous" hike, but it's a good way to spend a day, if you have an extra day.

If you are staying outside the park on the west side, a side trip to Hungry Horse Dam in Columbia Falls is an excellent way to fill a little time in the afternoon or after dinner. I wouldn't call it "must-see," but if you are there anyway, it's a good way to fill an hour or so of "dead time" late in the day or on a day where you don't feel like dealing with the crowds inside the park.

Where are you flying into? If you are driving up to Glacier from Missoula, a side stop at the National Bison Range is definitely worth it. It has a one-way gravel road that winds up into the highlands of the range for about 17 miles. On a good day, in addition to the bison, you'll see elk, deer, bighorn sheep, antelope, black bears, and beautiful views. On our last trip, we saw three black bears, all within about 50 feet of the road.
Appreciate it. I was hoping you would respond.

We are flying into Missoula and staying right outside the park. My wife set up our housing. We are staying a week and will be in the park 5 days. Hiking / climbing / scrambling is my kids and my favorite but my wife only gives us 2-3 days to hike (which is fair). My son likes to climb but I was told Glacier is not the place to climb. She has a kayaking, horseback riding planned. I'll skip out on the horseback riding and do a solo hike.

Definitely want to do the bison range. We saw them in Yellowstone a few years back. My kids still talk about it.

Reactions: Uscg1984

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Yes, we don't hike anywhere out here without bear spray (and a 10mm when I am in backcountry areas outside the parks). You can't fly with bear spray, so I recommend getting some in Kalispell or Missoula (depending on where you fly into). Costco has a 2-pack of UDAP for $40-something which is the best deal by bar. At the end of your vacation, you can give it (unused, hopefully) to a less prepared tourist or a local.
Most of the VRBO's in which we stay leave us spray. When we stayed in Yellowstone, my oldest thought it would be funny to open up the bear spray on his siblings at the VRBO. They learned a valuable lesson.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022

We are staying in Essex.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
You'll probably have time to hike almost all the trails.
All Trails is excellent if you haven't noticed.

Stay on EST....it's ok to go into the park early, especially if crowded.
When driving up/back from Missoula, you'll pass the Bison range and Polson.
The Miracle of America museum in Polson is a hoot!

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022

We are flying into Missoula and staying right outside the park. My wife set up our housing. We are staying a week and will be in the park 5 days. Hiking / climbing / scrambling is my kids and my favorite but my wife only gives us 2-3 days to hike (which is fair). My son likes to climb but I was told Glacier is not the place to climb. She has a kayaking, horseback riding planned. I'll skip out on the horseback riding and do a solo hike.

Definitely want to do the bison range. We saw them in Yellowstone a few years back. My kids still talk about it.
I'm sure y'all will have a great time. As for the hikes, I think 2-3 days of what I call "real" hikes is probably about right. There are lots of other waterfalls and sights near the Going to the Sun road that are a mile or less round-trip that are worth seeing. I don't consider these real hikes since they require practically no investment, so make sure to stop and explore some of these areas.

The Bison Range can be a varied experience. We've done it on occasions where animals were just everywhere. We've done it on other occasions where we saw very few up close. But it's still worth it either way. Besides, the fewer animals you see, the faster it goes. haha.

In Missoula, I always recommend a stop at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation visitors center. We usually treat it as a rest stop since it's right along the interstate. They have some good displays about the work of the foundation, some really nice taxidermy, a store, and some nice picnic areas on the property (or there is a Cracker Barrel down the street). It's free and a nice place to use the restroom and stretch your legs.

Reactions: Viennacock

HI Cock1

Joined Oct 14, 2012
Jan 22, 2022
Heading out to Glacier in several weeks. I know we have at least one poster that lives out that way.

Any recommended hikes? We like to go about 10 miles give or take? I have done some research and have a couple picked out.

Any must sees?
Depending on your tolerance for crowds, you should not miss hiking out to Hidden Lake overlook. About 4 mi round trip, but almost guaranteed to see goats, sheep, possibly griz.

Best 10-mile hike in the park is Siyeh Pass to Sunrift Gorge. Requires getting on the shuttle back to the car (about 5 miles), but you get up high and can see the plains, glaciers (what's left of them), and the jagged peaks of the park. The Highline is a good hike, but it's super busy and requires getting a shuttle reservation to get back to Logan Pass (you don't need a shuttle reservation on the east side of Logan Pass).

Iceberg Lake on the east side of the park is amazing.

Keep in mind that you need reservations to get into the park each day that you want to drive in, unless you're staying in the park.

Cheers and hit me up if you have any other questions.

GCJerryUSC

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 17, 2022
Glad you are arming yourself. Have read that bear spray doesn't work sometime.
Read awhile back and I think it happened in Mont about an unarmed hiker out enjoying himself. Not bothering anyone or anything. He came upon a mother bear with cubs and she charged and killed him.
The authorities tracked the bear but did not shoot it as she was "defending her cubs". Equating an animal's life with a human's. I wonder about some people.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Depending on your tolerance for crowds, you should not miss hiking out to Hidden Lake overlook. About 4 mi round trip, but almost guaranteed to see goats, sheep, possibly griz.

Best 10-mile hike in the park is Siyeh Pass to Sunrift Gorge. Requires getting on the shuttle back to the car (about 5 miles), but you get up high and can see the plains, glaciers (what's left of them), and the jagged peaks of the park. The Highline is a good hike, but it's super busy and requires getting a shuttle reservation to get back to Logan Pass (you don't need a shuttle reservation on the east side of Logan Pass).

Iceberg Lake on the east side of the park is amazing.

Keep in mind that you need reservations to get into the park each day that you want to drive in, unless you're staying in the park.

Cheers and hit me up if you have any other questions.
I read that you need reservations unless you get in very early (don't remember the time off-hand). On the days we'll hike, we'll be in before the required reservation time.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Read awhile back and I think it happened in Mont about an unarmed hiker out enjoying himself. Not bothering anyone or anything. He came upon a mother bear with cubs and she charged and killed him.
The authorities tracked the bear but did not shoot it as she was "defending her cubs". Equating an animal's life with a human's. I wonder about some people.
I'm not familiar with that story, but grizzly/human encounters are certainly on the rise, usually to the detriment of both species. Grizzlies are being spotted in parts of Montana where they have not been seen previously in over 100 years. They have always been around Yellowstone and Glacier, but the two grizzly ecosystems have more or less merged now. Montana FWP officially tells hunters and hikers now to be prepared to see grizzlies anywhere in the western part of the state. I carry both bear spray and a 10mm, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I know which is better.

I just like having options. Sometimes I hike into very stiff headwinds - that gives me pause when thinking about bear spray. On the other hand, there are many stories of charging grizzlies only falling after 3 or 4 rounds from an elk rifle - and even the most powerful handgun rounds only deliver a fraction of the kinetic energy of a rifle round. I've had extensive training using the pistol/holster system I carry, so I know I can draw and squeeze off multiple rounds in a hurry. But I do not delude myself into thinking there is any modern firearm or tactical training that can prepare a person for a grizzly charge. The best advice is to hike in groups and make plenty of noise to avoid an encounter altogether. Unfortunately, both of those tips are detrimental to my elk hunting, but perfectly good advice for summer hikes.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I read that you need reservations unless you get in very early (don't remember the time off-hand). On the days we'll hike, we'll be in before the required reservation time.
6am. We have not been up there since the reservation system went into effect (we rarely plan weekend getaways 4 months in advance) so if you do the early-hour thing, please report back and let us know how that works out. I've wondered if thousands of other tourists have the same plan of entering the park at zero-dark-thirty each day. We have an in-law visiting in August and are thinking of doing that very same thing some weekend.

For the days your wife has booked the kayak rentals and trail rides, I don't think you'll have to get up early. I believe your receipt for the scheduled activity will allow you to enter the park without a timed-entry reservation. But certainly double check that.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
6am. We have not been up there since the reservation system went into effect (we rarely plan weekend getaways 4 months in advance) so if you do the early-hour thing, please report back and let us know how that works out. I've wondered if thousands of other tourists have the same plan of entering the park at zero-dark-thirty each day. We have an in-law visiting in August and are thinking of doing that very same thing some weekend.

For the days your wife has booked the kayak rentals and trail rides, I don't think you'll have to get up early. I believe your receipt for the scheduled activity will allow you to enter the park without a timed-entry reservation. But certainly double check that.
Yes, you are correct. The receipts for kayaking etc will get us in. I am a morning person and will be good to go very early. An early morning start to a long hike is perfect. That said, my wife is not a morning person. She will be very grumpy for the first couple of hours. The kids are a mixed bag but they are a lot easier to get moving in the morning than my wife.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Their habitat. Our risk.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
The best advice is to hike in groups and make plenty of noise to avoid an encounter altogether.
Which makes those trails in Glacier NP quite safe due to lots of hikers/noise.

There was a guy killed by a brown bear in Prescott, AZ a few weeks back. Just random attack for no obvious reason. I've hiked that area before, but never thought about carrying spray. 😲

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
I am a morning person and will be good to go very early.
If you live in the east, your 6 am is Glacier's 4 am. If you're trying to eat somewhere before going into the park, you may have problems finding a place open earlier than their 6 am (8 am EST). My experience is those parks don't start getting crowded until after 8 am.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Which makes those trails in Glacier NP quite safe due to lots of hikers/noise.

Yes, on the list of things that kill people in Glacier and Yellowstone, grizzlies are way down the list. I can't recall the stats, but I think drownings are far and away the cause-of-death leader. For the most part, if a person follows the park rules and acts responsibly, they don't have anything to worry about.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
If you live in the east, your 6 am is Glacier's 4 am. If you're trying to eat somewhere before going into the park, you may have problems finding a place open earlier than their 6 am (8 am EST). My experience is those parks don't start getting crowded until after 8 am.
We got it! We did our big Yosemite and Teton hikes starting at about 5:30. Very little trail traffic on the way up and nice and cool.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Ok, we are set. Highline one morning and Grinnell Glacier trail are our two big hikes. Had trouble deciding between Grinnell, Iceberg lake and Siyeh pass trail.

There has been a lot of bear activity on Grinnell. We will be loaded with spray. Between my kids and wife, i don't think we'll spook a bear : ). My kids really want to see a grizzly. My wife is terrified. I'm somehere in between.

We will also try to see the bison on the way from Missoula to Glacier.

My wife did excursions each day to avoid waking up at 4am to get into the park.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Reactions: CWW

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
Ok, we are set. Highline one morning and Grinnell Glacier trail are our two big hikes. Had trouble deciding between Grinnell, Iceberg lake and Siyeh pass trail.

There has been a lot of bear activity on Grinnell. We will be loaded with spray. Between my kids and wife, i don't think we'll spook a bear : ). My kids really want to see a grizzly. My wife is terrified. I'm somehere in between.

We will also try to see the bison on the way from Missoula to Glacier.

My wife did excursions each day to avoid waking up at 4am to get into the park.

Appreciate the suggestions.
Have a great time and report back to us when you return!

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022

Went to the Bison Range on the way out of Missoula. Saw a good many bison, deer etc. Good call. They saw bear in the morning but we didn't get there until mid-day.

Today we did the going to the sun road along with a few shorter hikes (virginia and st Mary's fall). My wife forced us to take the boat ride on lake st. Mary. I could have done without but she enjoyed. Saw a moose in a lake near st. Mary. Very cool. There is a large river behind our cabin in Essex. Saw a bald eagle fly down the river. Saw lot's of big horned sheep at Logan's pasd.

Tomorrow is the Highline trail. Stoked!

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Went to the Bison Range on the way out of Missoula. Saw a good many bison, deer etc. Good call. They saw bear in the morning but we didn't get there until mid-day.

Today we did the going to the sun road along with a few shorter hikes (virginia and st Mary's fall). My wife forced us to take the boat ride on lake st. Mary. I could have done without but she enjoyed. Saw a moose in a lake near st. Mary. Very cool. There is a large river behind our cabin in Essex. Saw a bald eagle fly down the river. Saw lot's of big horned sheep at Logan's pasd.

Tomorrow is the Highline trail. Stoked!
Awesome.

I woke up this morning to some smoke in the air. Hopefully, your skies are clearer up there. Unfortunately, smoke is just a fact of life this time of year. But at least this year (so far), it's dependent on the wind direction. Some years, it doesn't matter from which direction the wind is coming because there are huge fires in all directions. I hope you continue to have a great time and keep reporting back to us.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Awesome.

I woke up this morning to some smoke in the air. Hopefully, your skies are clearer up there. Unfortunately, smoke is just a fact of life this time of year. But at least this year (so far), it's dependent on the wind direction. Some years, it doesn't matter from which direction the wind is coming because there are huge fires in all directions. I hope you continue to have a great time and keep reporting back to us.
Just got back from the Highline trail. We show we did just over 12 miles starting at the trail head and ending at the loop on going to the sun road. Awesome hike. The last four miles going down were the hardest on my feet. We didn't have a pass so hit the gate at 5:30. No problem at all getting in. Started the hike right at 6:00 am and ended around noon. 90% of the hike was in the shade which was a bonus. Breathtaking views for sure. We are beat so we're calling it a day. Saw a good many animals. I couldn't believe how lush and green the landscape was on the hike. The past forest fires had really changed the landscape. I was expecting things to be much drier.

Sky is very clear here. There has been a hint of fires in the air but today was perfect.

As you know, the only downside of Highline is it's one way. We had a bit of trouble finding a shuttle that could take 5 of us. The first one could only take 1 so my wife jumped on and drove the car back to pick us up. Well worth the wait.

My wife told me several times that it would have been perfect if it ended at the chalet (she struggled the last several miles) but the kids and I enjoyed the whole thing.

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
The last four miles going down were the hardest on my feet.
That's the worst. I hiked 12 miles one time....never again. I'm a big fan of the 3-4 mile specials!

I drove up to Mt. Evans (CO) yesterday. One of the 14kers.
Short hike to the Summit....59 & breezy!

MT EVANS GREAT VIEW cropped.jpg

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Just got back from the Highline trail. We show we did just over 12 miles starting at the trail head and ending at the loop on going to the sun road. Awesome hike. The last four miles going down were the hardest on my feet. We didn't have a pass so hit the gate at 5:30. No problem at all getting in. Started the hike right at 6:00 am and ended around noon. 90% of the hike was in the shade which was a bonus. Breathtaking views for sure. We are beat so we're calling it a day. Saw a good many animals. I couldn't believe how lush and green the landscape was on the hike. The past forest fires had really changed the landscape. I was expecting things to be much drier.

Sky is very clear here. There has been a hint of fires in the air but today was perfect.

As you know, the only downside of Highline is it's one way. We had a bit of trouble finding a shuttle that could take 5 of us. The first one could only take 1 so my wife jumped on and drove the car back to pick us up. Well worth the wait.

My wife told me several times that it would have been perfect if it ended at the chalet (she struggled the last several miles) but the kids and I enjoyed the whole thing.
Yeah, 12 miles is a FULL day. Sounds like it was a great time, though.

So, even though you didn't have a pass for the GTTSR, they still let you through? Good to know in case we decide to take a last minute run up to Glacier in the next month.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Yeah, 12 miles is a FULL day. Sounds like it was a great time, though.

So, even though you didn't have a pass for the GTTSR, they still let you through? Good to know in case we decide to take a last minute run up to Glacier in the next month.
Yes. They don't start manning the gates until 6. You simply drive through prior to 6. Starting at 6 kept us in the shade about 80% of the hike. The downside; I had to wake up the troops at 3:30 am. I'm a morning person so I drove while they slept.

Did Avalanche Lake and whitewater rafting today. Water levels are low so not so great on the river but had a good time and saw lots of wildlife. One more long hike tomorrow and visiting Many Glaciers in the afternoon. Fly out late friday.

Last edited:

Pepsicock

Joined May 12, 2006
Jan 17, 2022

We went to Yellowstone Park back in 1975. I want to go back so bad. The cameras we got now are like night and day. When we go back we are staying for about 4 weeks

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
We went to Yellowstone Park back in 1975. I want to go back so bad. The cameras we got now are like night and day. When we go back we are staying for about 4 weeks
4 weeks would be awesome. Most tourists try to roll through Yellowstone in 2 or 3 days, hitting all the "check the box" highlights and think they have seen Yellowstone. They haven't seen much of Yellowstone.

Reactions: Pepsicock

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022

We did Grinnell Glacier / Lake. Really enjoyed the views. Much different than Highline. We saw a grizzly and a brown beer today picking huckleberries. Made my trip.

Really cool around the Many Glacier area. Heading back through flathead tomorrow. We will grab some cherries on the way out.

Latest posts