GOAT status

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
She wasn’t the MVP for the tournament. Great, yes. Scored a lot of points, yes. Of all time? No. Statue outside the CLA represents the GOAT? Maybe.

uscphan

Joined Jan 27, 2001
Jan 24, 2022
As a player, I’d take Bueckers over Clark. Paige has a better overall game and more translatable skills. Clark has more range (or maybe Paige just hasn’t had the opportunity to display her range). Just feels that Caitlin has to be in a specific system designed for her to succeed, whereas Paige can fit into any system. But for now, can’t deny Caitlin’s marketing appeal. She’ll have that for a year or 2, then gone if she doesn’t avg >25 ppg in the WNBA. Not sure how many logo 3s she’d be allowed to jack up. That’s a big part of her appeal.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
We didn't double to take the ball out of her hands. Shockingly (to me) we didn't hedge screens either. Whoever was guarding her was tasked with getting over screens and defending on her own. Raven just won the one-on-one battle. Clark is outstanding, but definitely not the GOAT.
Tell me who is the women's college basketball GOAT?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

I don't think you can really assign one. It's nearly impossible in college. Too many teams and too many players, most of whom don't play each other. I think all you can do is have a category of GOATs, and she would surely be in that group (I suppose).

There were a number of great players from the 90s but they did not benefit from the wall-to-wall coverage that Clark had b/c of the concerted effort to more aggressively market the women's game.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
If I am trying to sell tickets, no one. If I am trying to win, there is a handful. Cheryl Miller, Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, Lauren Jackson, Breanna Stewart, A'ja Wilson. Versatile Bigs that could do everything. Guards are exciting, but they don't quite dominate in the Women's game like they do in the Men's game right now. For Guards, I would have to add Sheryl Swoopes, and Diana Taurasi in there. For modern players, Clark is going to have some battles with Sabrina Ionescu too.

Reactions: DarkCock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If I am trying to sell tickets, no one. If I am trying to win, there is a handful. Cheryl Miller, Candace Parker, Lisa Leslie, Lauren Jackson, Breanna Stewart, A'ja Wilson. Versatile Bigs that could do everything. Guards are exciting, but they don't quite dominate in the Women's game like they do in the Men's game right now. For Guards, I would have to add Sheryl Swoopes, and Diana Taurasi in there. For modern players, Clark is going to have some battles with Sabrina Ionescu too.

Most of those players simply didn't have the media coverage. Clark's profile was enormously boosted b/c she happened to be the best player in WBB at a time when there was a concerted effort to more aggressively market the game.

What about Sheryl Swoopes? Was she any good? Well, I know she was good, I just don't follow the sport to know how good. I just recall her being the first female basketball player I'd ever really heard of. She got a lot of press for a WBB player back in the 90s.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
I see a lot of the bickering going on about Clark and whether or not she's the GOAT for WBB. There's always been a discussion of whether you need a title to be considered the GOAT in a sport or among the GOATs, but the consensus has always been that, yes, you need a title. However, it's funny to see with Clark's career wrapping up, some are taking the position that it's absolutely absurd to even suggest that a player needs to have won a title to be considered the GOAT.

The conflict for me comes because it's supposed to be a team sport. When does individual achievement trump team achievement? I just don't see scoring a ton of points as being the sole passport to GOAT status.

Case in point: Karl Malone is the 3rd leading scorer in NBA history. His name NEVER comes up is GOAT discussions. He doesn't even make most top 10 lists. If scoring points is what it took, you'd think the 3rd leading scored all-time in NBA history would at least get a mention here and there, but he doesn't.
The difference with CC is she is also the leader in assists this year. So it is not like she is doing nothing but hogging the ball and taking all the shots.

I do not think the is "The Goat". I think she is one of the best to ever play NCAAW Basketball. But without championships to back it up, she could not be the greatest ever. While I did not pull for her team, I do recognize her greatness and am a huge fan of that. I think she is well deserving of all the media attention she is and has gotten. She is an amazing player to watch play the game. Those long-range 3's are amazing to see, when it is not against the Gamecocks of course.

She will have some learning to do at the next level, just as any other rookie WNBA player. All those hand-check fouls that went her way in NCAAW basketball will not be called in the WNBA.

Gamecock72

Joined Sep 24, 2019
Jan 24, 2022
Don't forget, she also led the nation in assists - by a long shot. 8.9 apg - next closest was 7.3 apg.
Yep. She had 346 assists in 39 games to lead the NCAAW. Second place was Nika Muhl of Ucon at 253 over 39 games. So 93 assists better than second place. While she is a big-time scorer, no one can truthfully say she is a ball hog at all.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Yep. She had 346 assists in 39 games to lead the NCAAW. Second place was Nika Muhl of Ucon at 253 over 39 games. So 93 assists better than second place. While she is a big-time scorer, no one can truthfully say she is a ball hog at all.
While I would agree that Clark is not a ball hog, I would bet her usage rate is probably tops in the nation and I don't think it would be close. She has the ball in her hands most of the time like a Lebron in his prime or a Luka now. That contributes to high scoring and assist numbers if the player is any good. I don't see her usage rate being the same in the W. The talent surrounding her will demand the ball being the hands of others at times. Starting with Aaliyah Boston. Boston will gladly accept the feeds off of Clark's drives, but she will probably have to dump it down to Boston in the post a good deal. Rarely will get an assist for that. So, there will be an adjustment that she and her fans will have to get used to.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I added Swoopes when I mentioned a couple guards. Swoopes is the player I would compare most to Clark without the shooting range. Swoopes is the most dominant scorer at the guard position that I have ever seen in the women's game. ....and she won the National Championship on an underdog type team. Probably explains why she feels a certain way about all the attention that Clark has received.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I added Swoopes when I mentioned a couple guards. Swoopes is the player I would compare most to Clark without the shooting range. Swoopes is the most dominant scorer at the guard position that I have ever seen in the women's game. ....and she won the National Championship on an underdog type team. Probably explains why she feels a certain way about all the attention that Clark has received.

Reactions: vacock

Latest posts